Author Topic: GW: Season 2 Meta-Thread  (Read 28195 times)

Holy Thunder

• Founder
Re: GW: Season 2 Meta-Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2013, 08:01:18 am »
- Research a bloody window (AKA Research Sensors 1) 4AP

- Move fleet From Lambda 34 center to Lambda 34a 1AP

To boldly put windows on spaceships to actually be able to see. Because boldly going places is much more interesting when you can actually see.

This is going to be a fun round. Also I think I'm liking the pace.

@Me2005:  The bubbles are a bit fuzzy. How many levels of sensors would I need to see 2 hexes? And will the sensors show how many planets are in the systems in range? I don't want to waste points going to colonize my second system, to find out it only has 1 or 2 planets. Although, after spending 8 points on windows and binoculars, maybe that's a hypocritical statement.
--Trespassers will be promptly riddled with bullets and other unpleasant projectiles.

--Survivors will treated with apologies, steak dinner, and a VIP tour of our facilities.

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2013, 10:27:33 am »
Aaron? You have ten minutes twice a week to indulge us?

Can I get a link to the rules? I must confess I know little in the ways of the GW.  ;D
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2013, 10:59:35 am »
Aaron? You have ten minutes twice a week to indulge us?

Can I get a link to the rules? I must confess I know little in the ways of the GW.  ;D

The rules are a bit hidden in a spoiler on the first page, I'll make them less obtuse to find. I also need to make sure they're fully fleshed-out, which they aren't quite yet, but you should get the drift from what I've got. I haven't bothered Devs about this because I wasn't sure if you could take the time to make action posts or not (It could take awhile, but it seems to me a max of 10 minutes/post is about all it should take).

Intro
This is a friendly forum game of galactic civilization that puts you in the place of ruler over an advanced civilization. You may research new technologies, upgrade existing ones, build fleets, and control empires spanning worlds. It is all overseen by me, (Me2005) the moderator. If you wish to participate, you are expected to have a post up by the agreed-upon day(s) each week outlining the action(s) you desire to take.

Dice
Chance plays into this somewhat; and as such I will use (simulated) dice of various types to achieve a random result. The shorthand I use for each type is "D#", where "#" is the number of sides and the highest number that can be rolled. Typical rolls are with a D6, D10, and D20, but I will specify which die is used where if necessary. I may post die results when used, I may not; depending on how cumbersome that becomes.

Everything you do will require points. This is so that other players may gauge your strength and I may govern fairly. Here are the different types and how they're earned:

Action Points (AP):
AP are used for doing things. A non-exhaustive list of what things might be done includes: Moving Fleets from planet to planet or system to system, colonizing a planet, exploring a system, mining, conducting diplomacy, attacking, and using system-based weapons (fired from platforms or planets). AP are earned by building up your infrastructure and improving your Efficiency tech level.

Construction Points (CP):
CP are used for building things. A non-exhaustive list of what could be built includes: Fleets, Planet Industry, Planet Military, and any kind of research. AP may be used in leu of CP. CP are earned by building up your infrastructure, improving your Industry tech level, and colonizing additional planets.

Research Points (RP):
RP are used for researching things. Usually either AP or CP can be converted to RP; however, during some of your actions you may receive extra RP as a reward and this must be used for research.

Trade Points (TP):
TP are used for anything. They are separated from the other point-types because they are earned and lost in a much more direct way - trade routes and the Trade tech level. Loosing a route - even temporarily - can cause you to loose these points. Trade routes are created by sending out a trade fleet from a system in your territory to a nearby NPR or player system. A line will be drawn on the map to indicate the line the route follows; and this will be where unseen civilian ships from your nation ply to deliver trade goods to and from your systems. A reciprocal route may be created for 1/2 the FTL cost once a player/NPR establishes a route with you. Any enemy military Fleets moving along this line may blockade the line of all players along it temporarily by spending an AP to do so. Blockading the route will give them a roll on the prize table. They may destroy the route by A) Denying it at the destination system or B) Removing the player-territory of both endpoint systems; and will receive a number of rolls on the prize table equal to the number of segments removed.

Upkeep
Upkeep is what you need to pay to provide for your fleets. I may destroy a number of ships appropriate to lower your upkeep to a level you can afford if you fail to pay it; or I may (more likely) ask you what action you'd like to drop to cover it. It can be lowered with theLogistics tech or by having more planets and fewer FS.

The Map
Listed here are the basic units you are likely to see on the map.

Fleet Strength (FS)
FS is the basic unit by which your combat forces are measured. One point could mean one ship, one thousand ships, or one-tenth of a ship - that is up to you. As the moderator, I will only ever move what you tell me to move and destroy the number of FS that should be destroyed, so you may need to resolve your view of FS with moving (or loosing) half a ship. One CP/AP/TP builds one FS at any planet you own and specify. FS will be displayed as a number in your chosen color on the map. Building FS will increase your Upkeep cost, which can be lowered by loosing ships or by increasing your Logistics tech.

Planets:
Planets are represented as large white dots with the following attributes added:

Planet Strength (PS)
PS is the measure of the military capacity of any planet you own. It is similar to FS in that it can represent a single huge missile launcher or ten-thousand ground troops, but I will deal only with the points directly so the nuances are up to you. One CP/AP/TP builds one PS at any planet you own and specify. PS does not cost upkeep, but does prevent full utilization of the planet for infrastructure. Planets with no PS may be captured without a fight. PS is represented by bright red and dull red dots on a planet - bright is 1 point and dull is 5 points.

Planet Industry (PI)
PI is the measure of the industrial capacity of any planet you own. It does not aid in combat, but does contribute to the number of points you receive each round. PI is taken as an average over all of your planets, so having one 45-point planet and 3 15-point planets is the same as having 4 23-point planets. Planets owned will also contribute a small amount to your CP.

Territory
Territory is the hazy background color on the map. It will attempt to match your chosen color, and each player's territory color and unit color are shown on the right. Your territory will always surround your planets, and may extend into empty space. Your fleets
can expand your territory. Trade routes and stations must reside within your territory.

Trade Routes
Trade routes are shown as lines of a player's color emanating from one player's territory and going to another's. If the territory on both ends changes hands, the route is destroyed. The route may be temporarily blockaded as well.

Hazards
These are shown on the right side of the map. If the symbol shows up in the system you have entered, a modified D20 roll will be made against that hazards' chart. Each hazard has one (or more) techs that may modify your result. To summarize the hazards and their chart results:
Asteroids: 13 or fewer total points will result in a loss of D6 ships. STL and Defense levels will be added to the roll (STL + Defense level of 12 or more grants immunity to Asteroids).
Cosmic: 17 or fewer total points will result in a loss of all ships. Quality level will be added to the roll (Quality of 16 grants immunity to Cosmic).
Pirates: 15 or fewer total points will result in a roll on the pirate table. Fleet size is considered instead of a roll (fleets of 15 or more will not be targeted).
War (hazard): 12 or fewer total points will result in a loss of D10 ships. Diplomacy or Defense levels will be added to the roll (Diplomacy or Defense higher than 12 will be immune to War hazards). War still breaks out, and your ships being directly targeted will not have immunity; this hazard is for fleets crossing war zones.

Artifacts
Artifacts, if found, may be brought back to your systems for +1TP each. They will remain in that system and may be taken away. You may only store 1 per system.

Stations
Stations are researched objects that give various benefits. You must research Stations before building any of them. These platforms are considered to have 5 'health' * your Stations tech level. Level 2 Stations would have 10 health, level 3 15, etc. Station health will be displayed by a number of red pixels on the station, and their owner will be represented by the colored area as shown on the map. Stations may be captured or destroyed, and cannot fight as planets do. They will use the FS modifier for purposes of determining how much damage they take when attacked. Stations can only be owned in systems where you hold territory.

Combat
Combat is done by comparing the modified size of the units involved. FS and PS both have techs that improve their combat modifiers - Weapons and Defenses, Planet Quality and Fleet quality. Modifiers will not be revealed.

FS & PS also have techs that improve their capability against planets - PS has launch and FS has bombardment. Launch allows you to do 1 damage per level to another planet/fleet in-system, bombardment adds 1 to the fleet's attack modifier per level.

Planets can be harder targets than fleets.

Automatic Post Merge: November 07, 2013, 11:14:40 am
- Research a bloody window (AKA Research Sensors 1) 4AP

- Move fleet From Lambda 34 center to Lambda 34a 1AP

To boldly put windows on spaceships to actually be able to see. Because boldly going places is much more interesting when you can actually see.

This is going to be a fun round. Also I think I'm liking the pace.

That post made me LOL. I suppose you might already have windows, it's just that basically everything in-system looks like a point of light at however many light-minutes/hours you arrive in a system.

@Me2005:  The bubbles are a bit fuzzy. How many levels of sensors would I need to see 2 hexes? And will the sensors show how many planets are in the systems in range? I don't want to waste points going to colonize my second system, to find out it only has 1 or 2 planets. Although, after spending 8 points on windows and binoculars, maybe that's a hypocritical statement.

The bubbles are the exact sizes I plan to use to generate sensor data. Each data ping will be centered on one of your fleets/planets. It's a bit obscure then which level will let you see a full system, but for a ship in the center you'll be able to see most of it around level 6-9, and for planets your whole system should be revealed around 4-5 (assuming you found a 6 planet system). If you control all the planets in a system and can see most of it, I'll probably give you full view of the system anyway for ease.

However, those bubbles easily extend to adjacent systems - level 3 sensors would allow your planets to see new planets in the system directly adjacent if there are any in that spot.

If you guys would like a leg-up, I'll throw you a bone and boost everyone's sensor level by 1. This system really adds value to the telescope station (24 total points, including researching stations) - it can ping anywhere on the board (using standard position notation - so F28a would be system F28, planet-position a) every turn. The data gets lost if you move the ping, but you can use it to see things without sending ships. It will use your current sensor level as it's ping size.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 11:16:06 am by Me2005 »
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2013, 02:34:32 pm »
So how often does ping happen, or do we have to use AP for that? 

It seems like perfectly good sense is just out reach on this one.
--Trespassers will be promptly riddled with bullets and other unpleasant projectiles.

--Survivors will treated with apologies, steak dinner, and a VIP tour of our facilities.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2013, 02:51:21 pm »
So how often does ping happen, or do we have to use AP for that? 

It seems like perfectly good sense is just out reach on this one.

Sensor ping is free and happens automatically for every fleet, planet, station, and telescope owned. The telescope can just throw it's ping anywhere else every turn; the old one goes away though.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2013, 08:01:54 pm »
Can you have more than one station in one system?
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2013, 10:54:49 am »

Still deciding about that. There isn't really room to draw many more than one, but I suppose in a 1 or 0 planet system I could fit more than one. Maybe 3 in a 0 planet system, 2 in a 1 planet system, and 1 in any other system.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2013, 11:12:00 am »

Still deciding about that. There isn't really room to draw many more than one, but I suppose in a 1 or 0 planet system I could fit more than one. Maybe 3 in a 0 planet system, 2 in a 1 planet system, and 1 in any other system.

It would seem fair to say yes, and just enable leveled-up stations to produce more points.  So if I put a research station in my home system, that station can only ever produce research points. If I want a fleet-building station, I'll need to put that in another system. That's easier for Me2005.  But if I can level that research station up to produce more research points, it seems like a decent balance. We end up with high-value systems that need protecting, and there's an incentive to have more systems so you can have more types of stations.

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2013, 03:15:37 pm »
@Niw's Tea

Do they really drink tea in Britan?

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2013, 03:19:03 pm »
@Niw's Tea

A lot of people do. I love tea personally. It's glorious stuff. I could go for days with nothing but tea. I have been known to drink liters of tea.

...shame most people these days seem to suck at making it :l
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
<Strait_Raider>That's like... my two favorite things.
     Put together.
     That's like... Kate Upton in a Tiger

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2013, 03:27:00 pm »
@Niw's Tea

A lot of people do. I love tea personally. It's glorious stuff. I could go for days with nothing but tea. I have been known to drink liters of tea.

...shame most people these days seem to suck at making it :l

You should come visit us in the American South.  Most of my family lives in rural Arkansas. The racism isn't as bad as the rest of the world things, the education is improving, and the glory of mud riding cannot be overstated.

And the cold sweet tea we make here is perfectly divine.  One summer as a teenager, I was stuck cooped up in my mom's apartment in North Carolina. I put down about 4 liters a day, and I'd still do it if I had opportunity/energy to make it.

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2013, 03:51:49 pm »
Cold sweet tea?

Tea is hot! with a slightly bitter taste! :l

See the madness us brits have to put up with? all these people calling things tea when they are not the delicious tea we require to function effectively?

Spoiler

That is a real cup of tea. :l (looks aboot the right strength too)

EDIT: As per the game: Me2005 did you forget to add the 4PI from the second planet? it's not been included in the total.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 03:59:00 pm by Niwantaw »
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
<Strait_Raider>That's like... my two favorite things.
     Put together.
     That's like... Kate Upton in a Tiger

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2013, 04:41:05 pm »
@Niw:
Spoiler

Yeah...I've had that kind, it's okay I guess. But our preferred hot bitter drink over here is coffee--little more kick than hot tea. 

Here's basically what our tea looks like:

We call it "tea" because it's made from tea leaves, probably similar to yours. Also probably a different breed, but you can achieve the same effect with your tea.   Take 4 tea bags, mix them with perhaps half a liter of water, and heat it to boiling. 

When it's hot enough, turn the heat off and let it brew for a bit. This varies on taste, but I like it between 10 and 15 minutes, or whenever I can get to it.

Longer is stronger, though you probably already know that. Pour it into a 2-liter jug, and mix between 1/4 cup and 3/4 cups of sugar. This part varies wildly--I like it at about a cup, but I have a pretty wide tolerance.

The hot water should dissolve the sugar pretty quickly, at least most of it. Add another 1.5 liters of cold water and mix until it's all dissolved, and voila. Add ice, or throw it in the fridge for a few hours.

It should keep for at least 3 days in the refrigerator.  Some people make it weak enough to drink alone, some people make it strong enough you almost have to dilute it with ice. Some people mix it with lemonade, which is delicious. Some friends of mine (certainly not speaking for everyone here) call that swamp water, because that's what it looks like.

Try it sometime ;)

@Me2005: warning duly noted regarding NPC's. I was hoping you would update it today!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 04:45:25 pm by Holy Thunder »

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2013, 04:54:09 pm »
@Me2005 and HT

It has been noted and will be taken very seriously (Flashback to the Theta and Colonists vs SDF).

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2013, 06:26:16 pm »
EDIT: As per the game: Me2005 did you forget to add the 4PI from the second planet? it's not been included in the total.

Very possible it's neglected in the post. I'll double check.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.