Author Topic: GW: Season 2 Meta-Thread  (Read 28194 times)

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
Re: GW: Season 2 Meta-Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 07:45:13 pm »
Would have been nice to know it's essentially a lost planet prior to starting but eh. :L
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
<Strait_Raider>That's like... my two favorite things.
     Put together.
     That's like... Kate Upton in a Tiger

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 08:35:23 pm »
That system had the potential for giving you a boost but I didn't set up there because I didn't want to risk a repeat of my war with the Theta + Colonists.
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 08:54:57 pm »
That system had the potential for giving you a boost but I didn't set up there because I didn't want to risk a repeat of my war with the Theta + Colonists.

I'd gone for it exactly because of the fact it had potential of being good or bad.

But as it's been made an isolationist it's now either a pain in the ass or a "dud" planet.

Either way. Irritating.
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
     Put together.

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 10:48:14 pm »

I'd gone for it exactly because of the fact it had potential of being good or bad.

But as it's been made an isolationist it's now either a pain in the ass or a "dud" planet.

Either way. Irritating.

It still has potential but you will need to decide whether it's worth spending the resources on a couple of levels of diplomacy to try to improve your chance to negotiate with them...

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 10:49:48 pm »
It still has potential but you will need to decide whether it's worth spending the resources on a couple of levels of diplomacy to try to improve your chance to negotiate with them...

Hence it being a pain in the ass :P

Put together.

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 10:51:05 pm »
Then again there is always the option of murderizing them but that might end badly.

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 10:55:18 pm »
Aye. Something will have to eventually be done. Eventually. If I get round to it.

Put together.

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 09:01:38 am »
@Niw: With a little diplomacy, last round I found NPC's to be most valuable. You have the easiest setup to acquire extra points through trade, an opportunity the rest of us don't have. They also can serve as kind of a buffer if you maintain a friendly relationship.

@Thadius: I think we would all enjoy it if you went ahead and joined, it's definitely a more-the-merrier setup. And the reality is, the later you join the further behind you'll be unless we screw up.

@Me2005:

Side note - not sure it's in the rules or not, but you need FS available in systems  where you have no planets to colonize them. Unlike last time, to continue building up you won't need FS in system; even for building empty planets.

Let's say I have planet A colonized and I want to colonize planet B for 2 PI. I understand you said we don't need FS present. Will colonizing Planet B with 2 PI require just 2 CP, or 1 AP to get there and 2 CP to build it?

--Trespassers will be promptly riddled with bullets and other unpleasant projectiles.

--Survivors will treated with apologies, steak dinner, and a VIP tour of our facilities.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 11:44:07 am »
@Niw: With a little diplomacy, last round I found NPC's to be most valuable. You have the easiest setup to acquire extra points through trade, an opportunity the rest of us don't have. They also can serve as kind of a buffer if you maintain a friendly relationship.

In fairness, I had them on the map before you picked the spot and I had labels up before the game started. If you'd like to move, you can. Now from looking at my diplomacy chart (way improved over the one last time; and different for each NPR-type), they aren't likely to go to war with you for anything, but they don't like being talked to. They're more open to trade since it brings stuff in, but you'd need to succeed in talking to them first. Odds are good that with Diplo 3+ you'd be safe from being attacked. It'll take a high level or a lucky roll (10 on a D10) to get them to let you do anything though.

About the diplomacy tables - would you guys rather me keep them to myself or give you the details of what it takes to interact with different NPR's?

The jist of each one is this:
Friendly - Only attacks if attacked first
Moderate - Might attack if offended, but probably won't unless attacked
Isolationist - On a bad day attacks first, but usually isn't persistent. Just wants to be left alone.
Expansionist - Slightly less likely to attack than isolationist, more likely to be persistent. Very willing to go to war to expand territory.
Pirate - Not as likely as expansionist to go to war, but will attack at the drop of a hat. Aims to capture prizes.

@Me2005:

Side note - not sure it's in the rules or not, but you need FS available in systems  where you have no planets to colonize them. Unlike last time, to continue building up you won't need FS in system; even for building empty planets.

Let's say I have planet A colonized and I want to colonize planet B for 2 PI. I understand you said we don't need FS present. Will colonizing Planet B with 2 PI require just 2 CP, or 1 AP to get there and 2 CP to build it?
[/quote]

Two options here:
A) Colonizing a new planet in a system you already have planets/FS in could require 1 AP + however many CP you want to put into it (the AP counts as 1 point). Colonizing a new planet in a system you do not have FS/planets in could also cost 1 AP, so long as your fleets can reach it in 1 turn.

B) Colonizing a new planet in a system you already have planets/FS in could require however many CP (or AP) you want to put into it. AP are needed for moving fleets into position for new planets in empty systems.

CP are basically free actions used to do things that are very easy for me to keep track of.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 12:15:43 pm »

In fairness, I had them on the map before you picked the spot and I had labels up before the game started. If you'd like to move, you can. Now from looking at my diplomacy chart (way improved over the one last time; and different for each NPR-type), they aren't likely to go to war with you for anything, but they don't like being talked to. They're more open to trade since it brings stuff in, but you'd need to succeed in talking to them first. Odds are good that with Diplo 3+ you'd be safe from being attacked. It'll take a high level or a lucky roll (10 on a D10) to get them to let you do anything though.

I realize that they could be potentially useful. But it's no longer pot luck, it's /rigged/ pot luck and thus gonna be a pain in the ass to get it to go in my favour. Hence me for the minute opting to avoid them.

And yes. they were on the map to begin with. That's why I picked the spot. However to begin with it was just a random NPR

And as I'm here now I see no reason to move.

Put together.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 03:22:00 pm »
I realize that they could be potentially useful. But it's no longer pot luck, it's /rigged/ pot luck and thus gonna be a pain in the ass to get it to go in my favour. Hence me for the minute opting to avoid them.

And yes. they were on the map to begin with. That's why I picked the spot. However to begin with it was just a random NPR

And as I'm here now I see no reason to move.

Well, if it makes you feel better; every player starts with a 1-planet system except you, and yours just has some weirdos who don't want to be talked to. They won't bother you like, say, pirates would.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 04:16:44 pm »
1 planet systems?

Well...

(Rewriting Plan)

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 04:26:40 pm »
1 planet systems?

Well...

(Rewriting Plan)

Not every system, just every player. There are systems out there with up to 8 or 12 planets, IIRC. All of the start systems, except Niw's, has 1 planet in it, and his has an alien living on the other one. You can see your whole system and everything in it right now, in other words.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 04:31:47 pm »
Question:

I built more FS, PI and PS but it wasn't on the new post.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 05:01:59 pm »
Question:

I built more FS, PI and PS but it wasn't on the new post.

What on earth are you talking about?

;D

Nah, forgot to update the statistics. It's in the spreadsheet and on the map, so technically still in the post.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.