Author Topic: GW: Season 2 Meta-Thread  (Read 34948 times)

Holy Thunder

• Founder
GW: Season 2 Meta-Thread
« on: November 04, 2013, 03:39:05 pm »
Thread set aside for discussing the Season 2 game.

I'd really like to see some more players, just because it makes it more fun. Aaron? You have ten minutes twice a week to indulge us?

--

@Me2005: I had level 4 industry as a starting tech. Will that affect my turn 1 CP?
--Trespassers will be promptly riddled with bullets and other unpleasant projectiles.

--Survivors will treated with apologies, steak dinner, and a VIP tour of our facilities.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
Re: GW: Season 2 Meta-Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 05:17:05 pm »
@Me2005: I had level 4 industry as a starting tech. Will that affect my turn 1 CP?

Yes, yes it will. 1 AP, 7 CP.

I suppose everyone should post here or with an action post once they've updated. Once I get at least the initial 3 (You, CJ, and Niw) responses we'll start. Thadius hasn't shown interest, though he's welcome back.

Ed: 7 CP, adjusted the sheet numbers.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:26:07 pm by Me2005 »
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 08:46:45 pm »
This will be fun.  Niwantaw how closely were you monitoring the old GW?
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 09:00:09 pm »
This will be fun.  Niwantaw how closely were you monitoring the old GW?

Fairly lightly. Thanks for catching the 36 points >.> I was sidetracked doing other things while I was doing that.

Gonna be pretty quiet with just us three.
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
<Strait_Raider>That's like... my two favorite things.
     Put together.
     That's like... Kate Upton in a Tiger

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 09:04:17 pm »
I know. I just [know[/i] there are tons of people out there who would dig this, I just don't know where they are.
--Trespassers will be promptly riddled with bullets and other unpleasant projectiles.

--Survivors will treated with apologies, steak dinner, and a VIP tour of our facilities.

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 09:49:43 pm »
I know. I just [know[/i] there are tons of people out there who would dig this, I just don't know where they are.

I tried to get my friends interested in this but I've had no success.  I have been trying since I began playing the original GW.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 10:57:21 am »
I've tried asking Strait and Thadius, since they seem to be active on the forum, but Thadius doesn't seem to be responsive and Strait may be busy enough with moderating. Three is a good number for me though; too many more and it gets difficult to keep track of what is going on. I think the max we had active at once was 6 or 7 last time, and 4 was probably the average. We'll start and if anyone wants to join in the next couple weeks they'll be allowed to catch up.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Thadius Faran

• Founder
  • Leader of the S.D.I and CEO of 301st industries
    • 301st Corp
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 05:00:50 pm »
I'll join in soon. I just wanna see how it works and how people will play it before jumpin in.
If your going to use military force you ought to use overwhelming military force. All war is immoral and if you let that bother you your not a good soldier.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 05:36:33 pm »
I'll join in soon. I just wanna see how it works and how people will play it before jumpin in.

I can't speak for individual methods of play, but it works basically the same as the last one. I've added planets, which are like systems only smaller, and changed the spreadsheet that the game uses to be easier for me.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 05:44:13 pm »
Join nao! you know how two people are gonna play already from the previous round and the more that hop in the start the less likely one player will be able to expand unopposed for too long.

On the starting positions:

I'm curious how this'll turn out. Initially it seems that CJ will have the easiest time with expansion having a fair few planets that are easily defended with a only a few "chokepoint" planets however once the initial bout of expansion is finished I'm curious as to how he'll play it.

HT in the top left has a fairly defensible position for pretty much as long as he'd like it. Several sections of planets can be expanded to and defended easily although unless he expands out to the less defensible positions his homeworld will always be somewhat close to the edge of his territory.

I've got a fairly open set of options as to how I can expand although the NPCs sharing my start are probably either going to hamstring me at the start or be a useful kick off. However pretty much regardless of what I do I'm gonna have a lot of ingress points so I suspect I'll have to be somewhat reliant on mobile forces. Which is always fun ^^
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
     Put together.

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 05:57:55 pm »
@Starting Points

Very good observation.  You are going to be an interesting element in this game.

@NPC (Free Bit of Information)

Unless I am mistaken, according to the map key those NPCs are isolationists.  Keep this in mind when you interact with them...

Automatic Post Merge: November 05, 2013, 06:09:30 pm
I may be wrong.  The color for isolationist and friendly is very similar.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 06:09:30 pm by Commander Jackson »

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 06:09:56 pm »

Unless I am mistaken, according to the map key those NPCs are isolationists.  Keep this in mind when you interact with them...
Where's the map key? I see nothing referring to what kind of NPC they are >.>

Put together.

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 06:10:46 pm »

Where's the map key? I see nothing referring to what kind of NPC they are >.>

Far right side of the map.

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 06:23:10 pm »

>.> I had an older version of the map. hadn't realized he'd updated it.

Edit: On spending AP on fleet movement:

Is it one AP to move one fleet from point A to point B or are you able to spend one AP to move half a fleet to point B and the other half to point C?

Just making sure I'm clear on that.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 06:25:19 pm by Niwantaw »

Put together.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 07:38:17 pm »

>.> I had an older version of the map. hadn't realized he'd updated it.

Edit: On spending AP on fleet movement:

Is it one AP to move one fleet from point A to point B or are you able to spend one AP to move half a fleet to point B and the other half to point C?

Just making sure I'm clear on that.

Spend AP to move fleet from position A to anywhere, even splitting them up. Think of each AP as a single system's order.

Side note - not sure it's in the rules or not, but you need FS available in systems  where you have no planets to colonize them. Unlike last time, to continue building up you won't need FS in system; even for building empty planets.

There's also a newer map on the AP-outline post. I fixed the NPC color problem since all three of you are colors mixed with blue. Niw, that's an isolationist there; don't talk to them :S
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:40:59 pm by Me2005 »

I know who you are.

You are destiny.