Author Topic: Space Engineers, Can it be beaten?  (Read 10294 times)

Thadius Faran

• Founder
  • Leader of the S.D.I and CEO of 301st industries
    • 301st Corp
Re: Space Engineers, Can it be beaten?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 09:58:49 am »
Cutting lasers and military grade hull penetration combat lasers are two different things. You can try to convince the SE devs to add them but I doubt it.
If your going to use military force you ought to use overwhelming military force. All war is immoral and if you let that bother you your not a good soldier.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 11:18:04 am »
Actually they are going for complete realism only tech available in next half century. So no lasers.

Yet we do have cutting lasers now? I've used one...?
I don't think we have lasers big enough to cut ships in half yet.

I'd point to the now-discontinued airborne laser project Boeing was doing that was supposed to shoot down missiles by basically cutting them in half (strategically- near the propellant, causing them to explode).

The point is that cutting lasers, especially for space combat, are completely plausible for the next 50 years. Doubly so if you're somehow traveling routinely between planets with people onboard; something that is not likely in the next 50 years (a single trip or two might happen, but not regular travel that could lead to interstellar conflict being a thing).
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 10:40:04 am »
Any universe with FTL can pretty much do whatever the heck it wants. :/
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:43:33 am by Strait Raider »

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 10:50:57 pm »
Me2005, with as much materiel that goes into defending modern-day missiles from interception, any kind of connection usually results in catastrophic structural and containment failure of the booster stage.  And it's still a drilling laser, you won't see properly sci-fi 'cutting' lasers that effortlessly sweep through an isolated meridian on a target unless somebody has a supremely massive dedicated powerplant and some of the finest state-of-the-art refractors and condensers scaled up to the most infeasible proportions.

That is, go play some Battletech where aerospace craft mount multiple tons of armor over their bodywork; multiple tons- of armor, the kind tanks use to deflect kinetics by sheer physical mass and angling rather than a fancy explosion or microwave burst.  And those cutting lasers only cut modern-day stuff, bro, to everything in their timeline, those are drilling beams.

tl;dr cutting is inefficient, unrealistic, and you're going to build them anyways just because you can as soon as the equipment is coded.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 11:36:52 am »
Me2005, with as much materiel that goes into defending modern-day missiles from interception, any kind of connection usually results in catastrophic structural and containment failure of the booster stage.  And it's still a drilling laser, you won't see properly sci-fi 'cutting' lasers that effortlessly sweep through an isolated meridian on a target unless somebody has a supremely massive dedicated powerplant and some of the finest state-of-the-art refractors and condensers scaled up to the most infeasible proportions.

That is, go play some Battletech where aerospace craft mount multiple tons of armor...

Battletech also has made-up random stuff. I was countering Thadius' comment on Space Engineers' devs wanting only "realistic", "in the next 50 years" type technologies. To which I say, we have lasers now that would work against anything we can usefully put into space in the next 50 years (booster phase rockets and other high propellant-to-ship ratio vessels). There's actually even a great argument for using them over anything else we have now in space warfare, which is that they are comparatively low-mass for the amount of firing you can do and the effective range you get. There isn't much incentive to develop them further because we're not fighting in space yet and we have weapons that fire beyond the horizon terrestrially better than lasers already, but I believe there are programs trying to mount lasers to naval vessels anyway. I'm pretty sure they're still for point-defense against missiles.

Now, whether they'll cut or drill is just a matter of what they're hitting and for how long they're hitting it.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 11:44:30 am »
Marek Rosa and company have already been doing polls for features, and I imagine the 100,000+ purchasers so far will be heavily dictating the endeavor.  Not having giant laser beams seems a bit against the grain since I don't think they're going Kerbal with SE, so I think if the fans demand sci-fi tech, it's going in. =P
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

spartanshalo

• Founder
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 06:18:42 am »
Most of the fans as far as I can tell want realism for space engineers. They do in fact clearly state that they want a 60ish years in the future tech kind of situation like tom clancy does. My argument is that while that is a cool idea, I dont see it working. They have already had to compromise with the gravity to make it easy to use and fun as any realistic method that exists or will exist would not run very well in the game, nor be conductive to gameplay as is. Though they do say they are working on it. Thats why I bought pretty much all the space ship block building games that exist right now...except for a few that were crossed off my list due to a combination of dislike for art direction, music choice, and overall dev attitude. (scrumbleship and master space come to mind.)
Liberty and justice for all...except for you. And you. And YOU. Your going to the box.

Hufer

• Founder
  • I have a Geary Complex.
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 08:25:20 pm »
Just recently released early multiplayer. It works surprisingly well with my computer but my friends with lower end builds have problems with frame rate.

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 12:50:35 pm »
Yeah, Gabe and I haven't been able to give the multiplayer a go yet but some of the videos of it looked pretty entertaining.  I do wonder how well the physics will stack up over time though... multiplayer and physics do not easily go well together unless it's server-side physics, which could get intense with the amount of physics that can be going on in SE.

Hufer

• Founder
  • I have a Geary Complex.
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 07:03:36 pm »
Yeah, Gabe and I haven't been able to give the multiplayer a go yet but some of the videos of it looked pretty entertaining.  I do wonder how well the physics will stack up over time though... multiplayer and physics do not easily go well together unless it's server-side physics, which could get intense with the amount of physics that can be going on in SE.

Axis and I have been playing a lot of it. The building works quite well and for me the combat looks amazing. Only some of us don't have a 4820k and a 780 Ti.

The mumble conversation went a bit like this;

Hufer: This is amazing! The ship is being torn apart so nicely from the impacts!

Axis: I'm lagging all over the place and have 5 fps.

Hufer: Really? I'm sitting at 60.

Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Thadius Faran

• Founder
  • Leader of the S.D.I and CEO of 301st industries
    • 301st Corp
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 11:37:50 pm »
It works very well until the trolls appear and spam their infinite array of warheads (Basically mines) and rockets. It also handles most of the physics stuff I threw at it. Although im not flying behemoths around and crashing every single thing that is around.
If your going to use military force you ought to use overwhelming military force. All war is immoral and if you let that bother you your not a good soldier.

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 06:42:05 am »
Thought I'd lend my thoughts about SE, having played it a bit.
The game looks great, but honestly, thats about it. THe block sizes are so annoying it's hard to put into words. Its a major waste of potential to make such a good looking voxel game, and then restrict players to two useless block sizes.
On one hand, we have "big ships" with a block size of 2,5 meters, making it absolutely impossible to do any kind of detailing. On the other hand, wehave "small ships" with a block size of 0,5 m, which would be fine in some sense, but almost nothng works on small ships, no gravity, no nothing.

Also, the controls feel awful and the way you have to rotate the blocks feels very frustrating. Add to that, that their building tools are very limited, I'd actually say the latest playable version of BR is a lot more fun for 
a creative addict like myself

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 02:51:40 am »
boom

functionality trumping aesthetics on the core builds, always

now if SE fixes those problems then The Management might want to worry about crunching their production timeline and meet those lofty playability deadlines for once

and then i'll buy a computer that runs crysis on max settings

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 08:33:33 am »
boom

functionality trumping aesthetics on the core builds, always

now if SE fixes those problems then The Management might want to worry about crunching their production timeline and meet those lofty playability deadlines for once

Can't imagine Marek Rosa & Co. not having those problems fixed, but even so it'll still be a different game.  ::)

We know better than to ever rush a game engine (iz delicate), but general content is something that can be crunched.  :P

and then i'll buy a computer that runs crysis on max settings

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 10:34:28 am by Aaron »

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 10:26:11 am »
Thing is, I don't think they see the block size as an issue, so I'm not sure they'll fix it. Add to that, that they apparnetly have no plans of adding any AI enemies, intending the game to be entirely multiplayer focused; with single player either being creative mode or multiplayer without anyone else.