Author Topic: Today's (randomish) development resource! (August 20th)  (Read 1004 times)

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
Today's (randomish) development resource! (August 20th)
« on: August 20, 2013, 08:47:19 pm »
Today's Tweets:
Aaron: Yay! Nathan and Zack resolved a slew of the rendering issues before lunch! =D

Aaron: Nathan having some extra time today reviewed some of our options for the fonts.  They're not performing properly with non-monotypes.

Aaron: Gabe and I finished about all of the main menu (had to stop here and there to build some new functions).  On to the Options screen!

Snapshot:

Disclaimer:
Spoiler
These daily development screenshots are just for fun during the engine overhauling doldrums; they do not represent anything that's in-game (we want surprises!) and come without explanation (guess away for fun!).  Regardless of what you see or think you see, just remember that our focus for the upcoming W1xx release is solely a stable, reliable multiplayer engine that will be ready when "Build, Fly, Shoot" is working appropriately.

So keep your expectations in check and have fun!  ::)

TJSeabury

• Founder
Re: Today's (randomish) development resource! (August 20th)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 10:00:35 pm »
Those look like one of the scientists from Golden Eye!  Love it.  I think the one on the right would fit best with the game.  It has a good balance of cartoonish-ness with realism. :)
"At the end of time, a moment will come when just one man remains. Then the moment will pass. Man will be gone.
 There will be nothing to show that we were ever here... but stardust."

CmndrMarcsBirger

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 10:01:42 pm »
Is that Robert  Downey Jr. (not the first guy left to right)?

And now real talk:

I'm liking the fourth prototype (guessing it's the final work of the third head). It's not cartoony and yet not photo realistic. Seems good for the games art style (if the one we have now isn't set in stone that is!). But I still like the Photo realistic one too (Second one)!

Fun talk:
I could imagine using this technique to enable editing of a blank slate of the head for people to draw their own characters in! And its low res enough to not be that heavy too!

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 09:18:27 am »
Fun talk:
I could imagine using this technique to enable editing of a blank slate of the head for people to draw their own characters in! And its low res enough to not be that heavy too!

Yeah all of these textures are using high-resolution image maps that will likely be scaled down a bit in game (< 512x512).  With a tutorial and a couple meshes to work from, I can see some decent contributions to the head collection in the game. =)

Our rule for the character realism is that it must fit with the Tribes interior texture as well as the Rock Monkey (with some texturing improvements here and there).  The deferred lighting can greatly affect the realistic appearance of the character, so we have to be careful not to put in too much detail or it doubles up on itself and looks jarring.

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 09:24:06 am »
See, I prefer the second one over the fourth. I feel that the fourth one is still a bit too cartoony, and is just some cellshading away from Borderlands.
"If you're in an equal fight, your tactics suck."

http://www.youtube.com/user/czorio4

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 09:30:27 am »
Well we still have some iterations to go, and Borderlands is a step too far for Blockade Runner. =)  Remember also that you're seeing the raw diffuse without any lighting or normals.

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 08:06:15 pm »
the first one feels like quake, the second one feel like you stapled someones skin to a box; the third feels too blurry but i like the 4th. it has just enough definition, but its own style as well.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

Bladecatcher

• Founder
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 08:59:58 pm »
One of these things is not like the others, one of these things looks like Sylvester Stallone.