Author Topic: Gravities Systems  (Read 13177 times)

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
Gravities Systems
« on: September 29, 2011, 01:54:10 pm »
This thread is about the specifics and features of a gravity thread. This thread is drawn from here.

Alaric edit: fixed the hyperlink; you had it backwards :P

Gravity plating

Gravity Lifts

Gravity Lev Walks

Inertia Dampeners

Submit ideas along these premises or come up with new ones of your own. I will fill it in later.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 05:17:53 pm by Alaric »

"Quotes at the bottom of signatures are pointless. Just like this one."

- Unknown

Kron

• Founder
Re: Gravities Systems
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 05:27:14 pm »
Here's a thought that bugs me: How are we going to keep gravity from leaking to outside the spaceship?

It would be really annoying if I was floating over to an enemy ship to cut my way in using a blowtorch or something, and as soon as I entered the entity-sphere, I immediately fall 'down' and accelerate into the depths of space.

We need a way of keeping gravity fundamentally 'inside' a spaceship.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 05:32:54 pm »
Here's a thought that bugs me: How are we going to keep gravity from leaking to outside the spaceship?

It would be really annoying if I was floating over to an enemy ship to cut my way in using a blowtorch or something, and as soon as I entered the entity-sphere, I immediately fall 'down' and accelerate into the depths of space.

We need a way of keeping gravity fundamentally 'inside' a spaceship.

Aren't space ships already treated as entities?
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Kron

• Founder
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 05:34:17 pm »
Yes, but the space outside a spaceship is also an entity. It asserts its own reference frame on you as soon as you enter a large sphere of space around it.

That sphere should not have gravity. We need to keep the gravity inside the metal hull. Does that make sense?

Alias72

• Skipper
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 07:17:47 pm »
just have a floor panel called gravpanel. then have that effect the block above it and nothing else.

Note: Amended to 2 spaces above.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:32:04 pm by Alias72 »

Kron

• Founder
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 07:53:40 pm »
just have a floor panel called gravpanel. then have that effect the block above it and nothing else.
That means that if you jump you'll float into the ceiling.

[ZanMgt]Gabriel

• BR Developer
  • Lord Ruler, Gamer, Programmer, Spy
    • www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 08:36:37 pm »
Kron: Falling "down" when you enter an entitis spherical range will not be a problem unless the ship has that type of gravity. We plan on quite a few different kinds with "falling down" being one of them.
"a programmer is an intermediary that converts sugar and caffeine into code"

CasusU

• Skipper
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 04:17:32 am »
Here's a thought. Maybe only larger ships should have any sort of artifical gravity. What's so bad about floating around inside your ship anyways? You could always have "hand rails" everywhere that you can move along and stick floor tiles like the ones in 2001: A Space Odyssey that you can walk along. This is more realistic and simpler to implement. Also it does away with the problems of spaceship gravity. Personally I think it's silly to need gravity when you're in space, think in 3 dimensions! You can have corridors that go up and down and left and right and forward and back!

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 05:07:25 am »
The Human Muscle relys on gravity to supply a constant strain, like lifting weights, if you had no gravity then the your muscles would deteriate because of the lack of use, you bone structure would also deteriate because your body makes your bones stronger/harder to help with supporting against the gravity.

(that is terrible engrish)

Also if the ship was large enough to have a gravity field that extended out of the ship, you would be pulled to the source of gravity, so unless the source happened to move out of your travel path and slingshot you out the other side, you would be safe, also its likely that you would have some form of propulsion and possible miniture inertia dampening system that uses the propulsion system to prevent sliding off into the distances

Although it would be hilarious..... "Illlll Bbeeee Baaacccccckkkkkkk........."
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

CasusU

• Skipper
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 01:05:24 pm »
WTF does BR have to do with human muscles!?

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 01:14:18 pm »
WTF does BR have to do with human muscles!?

Real-life space missions have found that humans in 0G loose bone and muscle mass. Without some hand-waved bio-modification for spacers, you'd need to either ignore or address the issue of bodily decay in 0G.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

CasusU

• Skipper
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 01:43:07 pm »
I repeat. WTF does that have to do with BR?

Let me answer that question for you.

It has nothing to do with Blockade Runner, so discuss the real life aspects of space travel on some science blog, unless you are seriously suggesting that the creators of Blockade Runner integrate an anatomically correct model of the human body with all of its subtle nuances, illnesses, genetics, and molecular structures. Otherwise, that topic isn't fit for discussion on this forum.

Xavierman117

• Founder
  • That one guy, you know, that one.
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 06:18:20 pm »
solution, robots.
or exo suits.
Meh.

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 11:41:36 pm »

Let me answer that question for you.

It has nothing to do with Blockade Runner, so discuss the real life aspects of space travel on some science blog, unless you are seriously suggesting that the creators of Blockade Runner integrate an anatomically correct model of the human body with all of its subtle nuances, illnesses, genetics, and molecular structures. Otherwise, that topic isn't fit for discussion on this forum.

Agreed, even as an advocate of ridiculous adherance to reality, this itself provides zero gameplay benefit... though if you could turn Exercise: The Minigame into a model like that of Farmville, I could see ZanMGT raking in a moderately constant supply of funds from a particular subset of society that presents itself as being psychologically vulnerable to this business model.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 11:52:32 am »

Agreed, even as an advocate of ridiculous adherance to reality, this itself provides zero gameplay benefit...

My point wasn't so much that it be an impairment on gameplay (if you have no gravity, you die very very slowly), but rather that it is a known issue in space travel as Vorga was pointing out, so gravity should be somehow possible. In Space Odyssey, beside having handholds and rails everywhere, they also had a spun-area for providing artificial gravity which they lived and did most of their work in. I'd probably be fine with requiring spun sections or acceleration as the only methods for generating artificial gravity.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.