Author Topic: Games like Blockade Runner  (Read 5417 times)

spartanshalo

• Founder
Re: Games like Blockade Runner
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 01:12:30 am »
I have played or for the first 15 days. So far it had just picked off where it was left with bug fixes trickling in as before. However, that pace may quicken with the sub fees. The game was only brought back due to fan pressure, so hopefully that had refocused development and inspired Haxus to greatness.
Liberty and justice for all...except for you. And you. And YOU. Your going to the box.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 04:32:10 pm »
Robocraft ...

Way Understated: Robocraft is like Battleship Craft + League Of Legends/(insert other team-based base-defense; I suppose it's dissimilar in that there are no creeps) + World of Tanks. Build your bot in a decent first person builder (with mirror mode; personally I find Battleshipcraft's touch-based UI faster, if only it had gameplay as good and mirror mode...), take it into battle and see how it performs in one of several modes (Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, one or two I haven't unlocked yet, and the main game - Break the other team's base).

They solve a number of problems we've talked about:
- Large ships crushing small ships? Block types have a build-cost (dissimilar from the purchase cost) associated with them to give each bot a total build cost (A weapon costs more than a hull block, engines cost more than hull but less than weapons). Bots are matched against similar cost-bots.

-Griefers destroying your pretty stuff? All the gamemodes are arena based, so you just respawn. And I think there are friendly fire restrictions.

-Design store? Robocraft lets you sell bots in a store, and the game figures out what to pay you for sales and what to charge. You pay to load your bot to the store. I'm pretty sure the bot's cost in the store is just the cost to build, so basically the game is taking a portion of the block cost and giving it to the designer instead of taking it itself.

There's no FP "walk around inside your ship" aspect, and no EV-like traveling the galaxy. But it does check alot of boxes... And frankly, I'm not sure how much I need FPS inside the ship anyway.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 10:31:13 am »
@Me2005

It's all good stuff, but balanced player vs player voxel battles are just not something we're looking to do.  It'd be cool to see you guys make a mod that does go full-tilt battle-battle, and use what you've learned from these other games. =\

The way we've come up with to balance ships in vanilla BR is weighted heavily towards singleplayer/co-op.
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat