Author Topic: Pretty ships  (Read 10167 times)

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
  • Mental breakdown in progress...
Re: Pretty ships
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2014, 10:58:10 am »
Makes me think of the race creators in games like Endless Space or Stardrive. While not a bad idea, it might be somewhat awkward to implement in a game like BR. I think it's best to let player themselves come up with "thematic runs" for fun and/or challenge, and enforce the set rules by themselves rather than have the game do it.
With love.  ~MRC

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2014, 11:04:57 am »
Makes me think of the race creators in games like Endless Space or Stardrive. While not a bad idea, it might be somewhat awkward to implement in a game like BR. I think it's best to let player themselves come up with "thematic runs" for fun and/or challenge, and enforce the set rules by themselves rather than have the game do it.

Except that it's basically the premise for the Dev's different "manufacturer's" producing different varieties of the same stuff. Only without the restrictions, most likely.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2014, 11:12:00 am »
@Voltaire: Create-able cultures probably isn't happening in vanilla BR.  Overall, the play style of Sid Mier's Pirates! ($2.50 on Steam right now, btw ::) ), EV:Nova, and Elite is what we have in mind, which involves you getting contracts and "letters of marque" from the various governments.  The separation of manufacturers simply allows us to design ship components and style around a theme.  I.e. "Klingon" starship components would be largely designed around their cloaking device, etc.

A thought though... to make it easier for the community to make their own modded manufacturers and merge them with the vanilla game, I wonder if your culture status idea could be assigned to the manufacturer, thereby helping to determine where the manufacturer's parts will propagate in the galaxy.
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

ASTRO-0

• Skipper
  • Hi
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2014, 03:44:45 am »
Well if your adding drag to craft...Doom ball it is then! :D
Why must we fight...because we know no better.
Space the final...erm forgot
If I don't know the name of something,someone or a place then its place holder will be Dave.

Hyperion

• Founder
  • SnowDragon's Lackey
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2014, 03:21:42 pm »
I think Bullet Bill is more spatially dynamic. What's the term for low drag resistance in hyperspace again, is there even a word to describe it? ???
I don't want to go "Oh! there's shots going my way! No big deal I'm the U.S.S Bloody Massive, It won't even leave a scratch." *boom* "SHIT! BIG DEAL! HUGE DEAL!"

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2014, 04:44:32 pm »
Space-doom-golf-ball.
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
<Strait_Raider>That's like... my two favorite things.
     Put together.
     That's like... Kate Upton in a Tiger

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
  • Mental breakdown in progress...
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2014, 05:06:07 pm »
Space-doom-golf-ball.

Sounds oddly familiar.
With love.  ~MRC