Author Topic: Pretty ships  (Read 10166 times)

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
Re: Pretty ships
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 06:19:48 pm »
nothing wrong with an ugly but effictive ship, infact I expect it. but i think that form and function can still go hand in hand, and I intend to build functional and good looking ships. not gonna hate on anyone who dosent take that path.

again it just goes back to gaming theory, which you point out quite nicley by saying that each decorative voxle is wasted if there is a voxle limit imposed.  people who want to win will not be concerned with how pretty things are, they will just use the most effective tools they have available.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

dracorotor

• Founder
  • I personalize my gun
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 10:36:53 pm »
I don't even like the idea of "winning" this game. It's not really something you win, it's just fun things that lead to bigger, more fun things
"'What the h**l are you doing you mother******s?!!11'
I Gasped it was................. Dumbledoor!!!1"

Neonivek

• Founder
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 05:16:47 am »
A lot of the ships will be pretty limited by simple effectiveness and right now the size limits are VERY restricting (The vast majority of those ships you see break the game in two) so things will have a very utilitarian feel.

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 08:05:38 am »
The look of my ships will affect my enjoyment of the game a great deal, even when other factors become relevant. Even in X3 I'd avoid certain ships if there were too ugly. Looks mean a lot to me, and if I don't feel proud to be piloting the ship im in, I don't enjoy the game as much, I want people to admire my firepower aswell as my design skills.

ASTRO-0

• Skipper
  • Hi
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 11:37:21 pm »
Plate with guns on it, it is then.  8)

Literally.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:40:58 pm by ASTRO-0 »
Why must we fight...because we know no better.
Space the final...erm forgot
If I don't know the name of something,someone or a place then its place holder will be Dave.

dracorotor

• Founder
  • I personalize my gun
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 02:16:52 pm »
Just make it a pretty plate. 'sall I'm sayin'
"'What the h**l are you doing you mother******s?!!11'
I Gasped it was................. Dumbledoor!!!1"

ASTRO-0

• Skipper
  • Hi
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 05:54:25 pm »
No promises.  :P
Why must we fight...because we know no better.
Space the final...erm forgot
If I don't know the name of something,someone or a place then its place holder will be Dave.

Iago

• Founder
  • Keep calm and charge the FTL drive
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 11:22:45 am »
Bump

What I really meant was to avoid Borg Cubes (Unless, of course, they are deliberate replicas)
Superbia mentis potens in armis.

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 10:12:50 pm »
Weight, heat, and aerodynamics for warp are some expected ways to mitigate brick-ships.
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
  • Mental breakdown in progress...
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2014, 12:47:04 am »
Weight, heat, and aerodynamics for warp are some expected ways to mitigate brick-ships.
What do you call "aerodynamics " in spaces? Voidynamics? Emptydynamics? Very-scarce-particles-dynamics?

Silliness aside I fell applying some form of aerodynamics on ships would take us from ugly boxes to ugly pointy sticks. It could also make some great potential designs less viable, if not impossible, depending on how it's implemented.

When it come to influence player to improve the look of their craft, I think having NPC ships serve as examples with easily reproducible feature would do good. Have them provide inspiration without looking "out of reach" in beauty, something that leave you saying "I could build something like that" and not "I don't have the skills to make something that good".

As for preventing the prevalence of an "optimal design", it's about creating a rock-paper-scissor situation. Have a large variety of potential roles to fill (mine-layer, sniper ship, bulky bullet sponge ...etc) and make sure they all have a counter in game. That way there's no right choice, so you can focus on building the ship you want rather than the one that wins.
Heat will also help by requiring to spread the subsystems apart, making cubes less cost-effective.
With love.  ~MRC

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2014, 08:16:02 am »
Agreed, MRC. Rock-Paper-Scissors or other such natural balances are probably the best way to force variable designs, because everything has a counter.

Just because the horn needs tootin', though, this here will be the pilot of at least one intentionally-ugly Doom Brick.
--Trespassers will be promptly riddled with bullets and other unpleasant projectiles.

--Survivors will treated with apologies, steak dinner, and a VIP tour of our facilities.

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2014, 09:20:11 am »
Quote from: MRC
Quote from: Aaron
What do you call "aerodynamics " in spaces? Voidynamics? Emptydynamics? Very-scarce-particles-dynamics?

Well who's to say warp fields don't have drag? =P

We could have it increase the drag the closer it is to a cube?

MRC

• Founder
  • Knows dev CPR
  • Mental breakdown in progress...
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2014, 11:55:13 am »
Well who's to say warp fields don't have drag? =P
Thinking about it, I'm fairly sure that warping faster than light do cause some form of drag since you're moving trough the fabric of space faster than it can adjust to your presence. Kind of a sound barrier for spacetime. :o

And sure it discourage boxes but it also discourage any other possible shapes and design that aren't warp-o-dynamic, no matter if they look good or not.

Just because the horn needs tootin', though, this here will be the pilot of at least one intentionally-ugly Doom Brick.
I have a feeling that dense doom brick might be extra susceptible to out of control chain explosions, they might not be as overpowered as we first thought.
With love.  ~MRC

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2014, 01:30:02 pm »
I wouldn't do anything. You won't ever manage to make a pretty ship more viable than an ugly ship. All you will do is make it a bitch to make any ship.

the "warp drag" means that people who prefer ships that are tall and wide would also get hammered and all you'd need to do to avoid it is make a literal brick rather than a cube.
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
<Strait_Raider>That's like... my two favorite things.
     Put together.
     That's like... Kate Upton in a Tiger

Aaron

• BR Developer
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2014, 02:05:49 pm »
I wouldn't do anything. You won't ever manage to make a pretty ship more viable than an ugly ship. All you will do is make it a bitch to make any ship.

the "warp drag" means that people who prefer ships that are tall and wide would also get hammered and all you'd need to do to avoid it is make a literal brick rather than a cube.

Might very well be an option.  Plan A is create sufficient penalties for a "death brick" through components and normal combat.  Plan B is penalize it through warp by running a "wind tunnel" over it to assess aerodynamics.