Author Topic: Star Trek vs Star Wars vs Battlestar Galactica  (Read 34864 times)

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
Re: Star Trek vs Star Wars vs Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 11:45:02 pm »
Oh, and then the Daleks show up and exterminate everyone.

Depends on the era, in old school doctor who I'm pretty sure he disables one buy draping his coat over it lol.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

dracorotor

• Founder
  • I personalize my gun
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 01:53:09 am »
Touche, but I riposte! No one on Star Trek ships wears a coat big enough! Victory: Daleks.

My logic is flawless.
"'What the h**l are you doing you mother******s?!!11'
I Gasped it was................. Dumbledoor!!!1"

kaptnkrunch

• Founder
  • Full Violocity ahead. With all violence and speed.
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 01:59:47 am »
Touche, but I riposte! No one on Star Trek ships wears a coat big enough! Victory: Daleks.

My logic is flawless.

Daleks flip-flop between being quite dangerous and utterly useless.

The old ones didn't do stairs, then the new ones started just flying absolutely everywhere. They seem to get wiped out then re-appear about every other season. Honestly couldn't say whether I could take a Dr. Who villain seriously enough to be worried about them for long.

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 06:09:43 am »

My logic is flawless.

med staff and high ranks have long coats (lab and dress uni) so it would be a fair fight :P
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

Thadius Faran

• Founder
  • Leader of the S.D.I and CEO of 301st industries
    • 301st Corp
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 07:17:53 am »
Man I forgot another star wars mega weapon. The star forge. This space station unlike the death stars is not a real weapon. It is the ultimate factory. If a ST guy sees a SW ship then goes to star forge he can recreate thousands of them in mere hours. With this the SW universe would never run out of ships. All the guy has to do is imagine a star destroyer with phasors and it makes an armada of them. And with the massive population of SW to man the ships ST stands no chance. They have less pop and manufacturing capacity than SW. Building giant war fleets is something that they simply cant do in enough time. For every ST warship built 20 star wars ships are built at the very least.
If your going to use military force you ought to use overwhelming military force. All war is immoral and if you let that bother you your not a good soldier.

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 07:29:15 am »
dosent the starforge drive people insane? and dosent it require a force user to work? i would think you would run out of force users.

but yeah I would agree that starwars has a much larger industrial complex then star trek.

dracorotor

• Founder
  • I personalize my gun
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 08:49:56 am »
Man I forgot another star wars mega weapon. The star forge. This space station unlike the death stars is not a real weapon. It is the ultimate factory. If a ST guy sees a SW ship then goes to star forge he can recreate thousands of them in mere hours. With this the SW universe would never run out of ships. All the guy has to do is imagine a star destroyer with phasors and it makes an armada of them. And with the massive population of SW to man the ships ST stands no chance. They have less pop and manufacturing capacity than SW. Building giant war fleets is something that they simply cant do in enough time. For every ST warship built 20 star wars ships are built at the very least.

Do you one better: the World Devestators can fly from place to place, and can build anything up to small capitol ships.

Man, SW loves it's superweapons.
"'What the h**l are you doing you mother******s?!!11'
I Gasped it was................. Dumbledoor!!!1"

universeboy4

• Founder
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 01:06:15 pm »
Torpedoes can be fired at warp in star trek. Plus with the mass fighter idea there is a setting on the phasers that was used once on the enterprise. They can match the amount of power so it is just enough to blow up a fighter and send out dozens or hundreds of small, low-power beams with just enough power to blow up a fighter.
Proud leader of the [DSA] Deep Space Alliance.

Thadius Faran

• Founder
    • 301st Corp
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 01:09:13 pm »
4000 or so years that are documented your gonna have lots of super weapons. Which brings up another point. All these years and centuries that star wars had ships they also got truck loads of experience with space based warfare. Plus it seems that ST has no ground based forces at least as far a I know. A few star destroyers carry hundreds of thousands of troops and vehicles. If they land their ground based forces that planet is pretty much lost. Unless the ST guys plan on glassing their own planets. Also its pretty much impossible for the ST guys to be able to effectively occupy a planet. There are simply to many "scum bags" in Star Wars.
If your going to use military force you ought to use overwhelming military force. All war is immoral and if you let that bother you your not a good soldier.

universeboy4

• Founder
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 01:55:51 pm »
Good luck landing on a planet before a star trek ship torpedoes you from half a light year away :-)

What you gonna do 'bout that  ???
Proud leader of the [DSA] Deep Space Alliance.

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 02:02:37 pm »
Good luck landing on a planet before a star trek ship torpedoes you from half a light year away :-)

Nuke the planet from the other side of the galaxy.

(because star wars has superweapons for that.)
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
<Strait_Raider>That's like... my two favorite things.
     Put together.
     That's like... Kate Upton in a Tiger

Thadius Faran

• Founder
    • 301st Corp
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 02:08:58 pm »
They cant if they are to busy. The numbers are very bad for them. They are simply out numbered. While there is a chance they have better tech it wont matter if 50 planets are being invaded and they dont have enough ships to protect them all. Unlike star wars the ST guys dont keep fleets at planets to protect them. It would take more than one ship to repel a invasion force from star wars. Then if a jedi or sith gets aboard one of their ships it would be utter chaos. Also why battlestar galactica? They are a fleet of ships not a giant government with thousands of systems. I suggest replacing them with a universe that actually has a chance. Like Stargate or EVE or Halo.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 03:24:57 pm »

Ooh, torpedoes, so scary when they don't even destroy the relatively tiny ships in ST in one hit. I'm sure a 1+km ISD would shrug off the entire battery of torpedoes carried by the ED easily enough.

Side note - not sure how the ED would ever get a half-lightyear away to fire on them. That's the middle of nowhere or an adjacent system, and I don't recall ever seeing ST ships do that - they usually fire from directly in front/adjacent to their target; at maximum from a different position in the same orbit, where they'd be in range of any of the ISD's weapons anyway.

Fleet combat strength appears to be 8,000 frontline ships for the UFP, 25,000 ISD's alone for the Imperials. Wookieepedia lists total fleet strength in the millions of ships and trillions of crew. Ship sizes for the Imperials range from the mighty Super-Star Destroyer at ~10km, the ISD at ~1km, down to the Carrack Light Cruiser at 350m and the Lancer Frigate at 250m. The Feds have the Galaxy as their largest and Soverign as the next largest at ~650m, the Constitution class at ~250m, and the average appears to be about 350-400m; I couldn't find an exact number after a quick search but would assume around 100 Galaxy class ships were built. The Carrack mounts 10 Turbolaser installations, 5 tractor beam projectors, and 20 heavy laser/ion cannon installations; the Galaxy mounts 12 phaser arrays, 2 torp. launchers + 250 torpedoes.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 03:37:42 pm »
*19km for the SSD
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
<Strait_Raider>That's like... my two favorite things.
     Put together.
     That's like... Kate Upton in a Tiger

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 04:06:09 pm »

Ooh, torpedoes, so scary when they don't even destroy the relatively tiny ships in ST in one hit. I'm sure a 1+km ISD would shrug off the entire battery of torpedoes carried by the ED easily enough.

Side note - not sure how the ED would ever get a half-lightyear away to fire on them. That's the middle of nowhere or an adjacent system, and I don't recall ever seeing ST ships do that - they usually fire from directly in front/adjacent to their target; at maximum from a different position in the same orbit, where they'd be in range of any of the ISD's weapons anyway.

Fleet combat strength appears to be 8,000 frontline ships for the UFP, 25,000 ISD's alone for the Imperials. Wookieepedia lists total fleet strength in the millions of ships and trillions of crew. Ship sizes for the Imperials range from the mighty Super-Star Destroyer at ~10km, the ISD at ~1km, down to the Carrack Light Cruiser at 350m and the Lancer Frigate at 250m. The Feds have the Galaxy as their largest and Soverign as the next largest at ~650m, the Constitution class at ~250m, and the average appears to be about 350-400m; I couldn't find an exact number after a quick search but would assume around 100 Galaxy class ships were built. The Carrack mounts 10 Turbolaser installations, 5 tractor beam projectors, and 20 heavy laser/ion cannon installations; the Galaxy mounts 12 phaser arrays, 2 torp. launchers + 250 torpedoes.
Quantum Torpedoes V Photon Torpedos
Quantum Wins

And if you want to bring in Omniscentient Beings into this...
Q
And ST wins.
4000 or so years that are documented your gonna have lots of super weapons. Which brings up another point. All these years and centuries that star wars had ships they also got truck loads of experience with space based warfare. Plus it seems that ST has no ground based forces at least as far a I know. A few star destroyers carry hundreds of thousands of troops and vehicles. If they land their ground based forces that planet is pretty much lost. Unless the ST guys plan on glassing their own planets. Also its pretty much impossible for the ST guys to be able to effectively occupy a planet. There are simply to many "scum bags" in Star Wars.
They have hand Phasers and they can always restart the MACO program thingy

Their ships can set their Star Ship grade phasers to stun and shoot a city from orbit.

The main reason why this isn't regularly employed is because ST planets use planetary shields more often than SW.

They have the Argo.(Star Trek Nemisis)

Hand phasers auto target. Blasters don't.

Hand phaser have more options than blasters.
Example
Stun: Phaser and Blaster
Kill: Phaser and Blaster
Cut: Phaser
Heat: Phaser
Vaporize: Phaser
Energey Wall thingy: Phaser
Auto-Target: Phaser
Incinerate: Phaser and Blaster
Burst Fire: Phaser and Blaster

If you were to ask me I'd say that blasters provide harder hits for each shot but phasers are much more versitile.

Personal shield bubbles are not unheard of in Star Trek.

Tricorders are hand held scanners with more scanning ability than any starship in Star Wars

And Just because warp strafing occurs mostly in TOS it doesn't mean that they won't use it 100 years later.

And before you bring up walkers in Star Wars...(Battle Of Endor)...they got crushed by trees. They suck.

The UFoP stuff appears to be quality over quantity.

They only had 1 SSD.
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.