Author Topic: Galactic War: Meta-Thread  (Read 28104 times)

Holy Thunder

• Founder
Re: Galactic War: Meta-Thread
« Reply #270 on: October 30, 2013, 11:19:35 am »
oh...lol scratch that then. :)
--Trespassers will be promptly riddled with bullets and other unpleasant projectiles.

--Survivors will treated with apologies, steak dinner, and a VIP tour of our facilities.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #271 on: October 30, 2013, 11:52:01 am »
Sounds good. I like the platforms for cost reduction and 32 points to start.

For economic / military strength, I'd love it if we could avoid limiting the strength of any individual planet, at least to the same extent we had last time. Using the saturation technique you did last time made it hard for me to see the exact strength of a system, true, but counting the dots and eyeballing their brightness makes for a decent guess.

It shouldn't be a problem. Right now, I've got 2 'shades' that get used for each strength type. Black & 50% gray for economy, Red & 50% shaded red for military. With those and the 9 px of the planet, you can have 45 total strength per planet. I could always add additional dots, shades, or both. For now, I think 45 combined military/industrial strength should be good - none of you got much more than 10 SS usually in the first setup.

I do like the limitation that having to choose between military or economic development provides (in fact, the system is designed to have that be the major limiting factor for militarizing planets - you aren't paying upkeep for ground troops, they just take up space you could use for economic development), so I won't be wanting to make it unlimited. I also didn't like the saturation system because it was a lot of work on my end; limiting the colors to a few that I can easily switch between is easier, and should be easier for you (without Photoshop/GIMP/Etc. capabilities) to determine how strong a planet is.

Development is designed to be a ratio - if you have many high-economy planets, you'll have more AP/CP than if you have many low-economy planets. After maxing out on economy, you can't get a higher ratio by having more planets (every planet at 45 maxes out the equation, any new planet will lower your AP/CP until it is maxed out, though not noticeably if you have lots of planets).

Also, I think I should be the winner of the first Galactic War by virtue of being the last participating player with actions entered.

CJ's got research actions in, so you're not quite there yet ;)
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #272 on: October 30, 2013, 12:50:53 pm »
Development is designed to be a ratio - if you have many high-economy planets, you'll have more AP/CP than if you have many low-economy planets. After maxing out on economy, you can't get a higher ratio by having more planets (every planet at 45 maxes out the equation, any new planet will lower your AP/CP until it is maxed out, though not noticeably if you have lots of planets).

We would still get additional AP for the planets though, right? Let's say my ratio is high 5:1 economic to military, and I I build up 6 planets in a system. 5 of those have completely economic development. That's 270 points, admittedly more than any of us accomplished in the last round. There should still be some points incoming as I add PI, right?

--Trespassers will be promptly riddled with bullets and other unpleasant projectiles.

--Survivors will treated with apologies, steak dinner, and a VIP tour of our facilities.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #273 on: October 30, 2013, 01:39:20 pm »

We would still get additional AP for the planets though, right? Let's say my ratio is high 5:1 economic to military, and I I build up 6 planets in a system. 5 of those have completely economic development. That's 270 points, admittedly more than any of us accomplished in the last round. There should still be some points incoming as I add PI, right?

You know what, I'll change it to account for additional planets; though you'll get more if each planet is more developed.

So right now, if you have a single 45-economy planet, you'll max out your AP/CP given for planet development. The max is going to be pretty hard to achieve, but is (with a 45 unit cap) something like 7/10 AP/CP. If you build a second planet at 1-economy, you now have a total of 46 economy and two planets, so you'll loose some AP/CP (my numbers show you'll go to 6/8 or so). If you add another, it looks like you'll be at 5/8. It's an average, so in the last case it'd be as though you had all 15 2/3 PI planets. And before anyone asks, no; I absolutely cannot account for individual planet strengths differently.

You also get a bonus for your tech development; this is just from planet-industry. As I mentioned though, I'm going to add in a small boost based on how many planets you own; it shouldn't counter out the loss from a low-development planet, but should be an incentive to keep building. The other incentive is that it's harder to be wiped out, and you can work your averages so that you have greater military strength while still having decent economic strength.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #274 on: October 30, 2013, 01:53:28 pm »
This should be fun. How do we drum up new players?

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #275 on: October 30, 2013, 03:12:45 pm »
This should be fun. How do we drum up new players?

Not sure; the trouble with this forum is that its population is based on the game's popularity. So we need to harass the old-timers into playing; which is basically Devs, Mods, and you guys. We could see if Strait wants to play I guess. I'm hoping to be able to launch either tomorrow (!) or Monday. I was working on an initial rules post; but since you guys know the jist of how things work, I can launch earlier if I hold off on doing that. I'll start a new thread for it in any case.

You can all get your tech picks in in the new thread.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #276 on: October 31, 2013, 01:06:11 pm »
My GW2 post is updated.

Also, I invited my bro and a couple of RL friends to check it out. You think we could start a Season 2 Meta Thread, with simple condensed rules so new guys/girls understand it?

I'd do it myself, but I don't want to cross the moderator if I get any of it wrong...  ;)

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #277 on: October 31, 2013, 03:18:35 pm »
My GW2 post is updated.

Also, I invited my bro and a couple of RL friends to check it out. You think we could start a Season 2 Meta Thread, with simple condensed rules so new guys/girls understand it?

I'd do it myself, but I don't want to cross the moderator if I get any of it wrong...  ;)

I suppose that is called for, though I'm hoping to write out the rules for GWS2 in the opening post eventually. I'm currently working on getting the initial special tech list sorted out, once you guys have everything updated we can get going though.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.