Author Topic: Galactic War: RP thread  (Read 3479 times)

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
Re: Galactic War: RP thread
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 04:43:13 pm »
Stellar Data Collection Station #LB20:
Logs:
SD-7-27-24
Operator Notes: Commerce proceeds as usual
Local patrol fleets apprehended several suspected smuggling vessels; the vessels were released after patrol units reported nothing unusual (I suspect those units of foul play)
It seems to me that day-to-day colony activity breeds civilian trouble, though it rarely affects the ongoing expansion of our territory

SD-7-28-24
Operator Notes: Things seem to have gone sideways - the local patrol fleets I suspected of corruption erupted in a burst of light. I didn't see who did it, and the sensors aren't reporting anything; hopefully those smugglers didn't figure out some new weapon system.

Well, I guess it wasn't them - those ships reported yesterday as smugglers were docked in one of the seeder ports and the whole place went up in a flash. Local news should be going crazy saying we're under attack, but there are no ships in the area and they must have missed it - the flash is just a blip even on this station's screen. I can't believe that no one got word out to them though; that port was inhabited by tens of thousands of people.

SD-7-29-25
Operator Notes: Something strange is going on today, the system is ... different. There is just more light everywhere; I can see into the dark side of most of the planets. Sensors aren't reading anything though, so ... I just don't know.

The entire colony just went up in a flash... I still don't know who is doing thi...

WE ARE THE LIGHTBRINGER
BEING HAS BEEN FOUND LIGHT
OTHER WORLD WILL COME TO YOU
BRING LIGHT

[WARNING - ORBIT DESTABILIZATION]
[WARNING - ORBIT DESTABILIZATION]
[WARNING - IMPACT EMINENT]

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 02:27:07 pm »
K guys, here it is. I had a co-worker look through it. Apparently a disclaimer is needed that there are similarities and borrowed elements from The Lost Fleet--the flagship name is too obvious, but hopefully rest isn't so bad. I really liked TLF's physics and setup, so it's really inspired by that. Hope you guys enjoy. Also that it works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4xs176eeqj8fh9/GW%20story.docx

Edit: This works on my phone, but not my work computer for some reason. It may be an IT blocking issue, or it may be just a link for smartphones. ??
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 02:59:59 pm by Holy Thunder »
--Trespassers will be promptly riddled with bullets and other unpleasant projectiles.

--Survivors will treated with apologies, steak dinner, and a VIP tour of our facilities.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 03:52:46 pm »
Meh, works for me.

Jiminy... 16 pages? This'll take awhile... I should probably write the LB comms before reading it.  8)

Finished skim-reading the whole thing, that's actually pretty decent writing. I've decided to grant a 3 FS bonus for it, keeping the second fleet you sent completely intact.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 04:36:07 pm by Me2005 »
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 04:18:58 pm »
No worries. It has little to do with the overall post until the end, just a happy tale and a fight within the Valencian Empire. Mostly just a glimpse for you guys of how I see my RP faction's ships and tactics.

Edit: I'll include a spoiler here, if anybody wants a short-version synopsis.
Spoiler

Really though, it'll take some of the excitement out of a lot of it. I've got it segmented. If something catches your fancy, go back and read the long version. :)

Spoiler
Glimmerhad briefs his crew about an upcoming fight with one of their own battleships, piloted by his former comrade, Kel Ironwood. The Dauntless has a formiddable weapon for use against just such an opponent, but Ironwood managed to disable it through sabotage.

He can't even destroy the ship outright, because Ironwood is holding council members and a religious leader hostage.

Spoiler
He has his lead engineer revamp the system to use the Avenger cannon setup as a shield, instead. When they arrive at the system, his opponent engages a previously unknown FTL capability to close quickly, denying them a chance to prepare. Good luck leads Glimmerhad's crew to pinpoint their course and knock them out of warp early, returning the favor.

In the first pass, Glimmerhad disregards his weakness and his opponent's strength, and charges straight for the battleship. At the last minute he pivots the ship up, bottom-forward, and hurls anti-capital missiles at a high rate from close range. He passes above the battleship, dealing and taking significant damage.

Spoiler
In the second pass, Glimmerhad activates the modified shield and charges straight in again. This time, he angles right and whips hard to the left at the last minute, passing just to the injured side of his opponent. One of his reactors is destabilizing, so he ejects it right into the path of the oncoming battleship. The two ships nearly collide, and the force of the ejection helps spin Dauntless around to directly face the battleship's stern.

Heavy weapons fire disables the battleship's propulsion. It's dead in the water.

Spoiler
He begins to prep for storming the battleship, but Ironwood's ally arrives in a battered heavy cruiser. Glimmerhad realizes he can't handle both ships (the battleship can quickly repair with nanites if left alone) and survive. He gives the battleship's crew minutes to evacuate the ship, and to save the hostages in exchange for their own lives. Ironwood attempts to escape in an executive yacht, but is shot and disabled. He asks for mercy toward his crew and self-destructs the yacht, with all hostages onboard.

Glimmerhad bluffs the heavy cruiser into retreat.

Spoiler

It turns out the whole thing was a simulation to better the Valencian military. Glimmerhad sits in his room and receives word of the Lightbringer's system-split phenomenon. He realizes the Valencian's terrible position, and ends the story with the same phrase he began: "Well...this is going to be quite the challenge."

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 05:39:42 pm by Holy Thunder »
--Trespassers will be promptly riddled with bullets and other unpleasant projectiles.

--Survivors will treated with apologies, steak dinner, and a VIP tour of our facilities.

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 07:51:38 pm »
Accessing SDF Security Archives
Commencing Playback
Error:
Parts of this file are corrupted.
Attempt Reconstruction?
Reconstruction Complete
Commencing Playback
---------------------------------------
Time:
42nd Galactic Cycle (AKA: Shortly after Round 42)

---------------------------------------

[Several Officers stood around a holographic display of the galaxy]

"How did the Colonists bypass our fleets?"

"They appear to have a-"

[The recording is cut off and the next segment plays]

[Alarms can be heard in the background and red lights are flashing]

Over an intercom the someone shouted "All Hands To Battlestations, this is not a drill! I repeat,This is Not a Drill!"

An engineer can be heard in the background
"Power levels are surging! Attempting to compensate... Got it! No, wait...EVERYONE GET DO-"

[Everything Goes White as a voice drowns out all other sound]

\\END COR*static* DARKNESS
\\YOU *static* FIGHT *more static*
*static*
\\END CORRUPTION END DARKNESS
**END TRANSMISSION**

[End of Recording]

------------------------------

Explanation for the static:
The power surges were causing the system not to fully save the message.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:04:13 pm by Commander Jackson »
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.