Author Topic: Battleship Craft--A great BR Parallel  (Read 12196 times)

Thadius Faran

• Founder
  • Leader of the S.D.I and CEO of 301st industries
    • 301st Corp
Re: Battleship Craft--A great BR Parallel
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 04:02:38 pm »
Ill look into it but I probably wont get it for a month at least.
If your going to use military force you ought to use overwhelming military force. All war is immoral and if you let that bother you your not a good soldier.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 04:08:02 pm »
The Yamato-class battleship is the largest ever created; while some ships like the USS Constitution are famous for the punishment they survived, Yamato is famous for the damage required to kill it--Yamato was sunk in April 1945 by American carrier aircraft during Operation Ten-Go, receiving 10 torpedo and 7 bomb hits before capsizing.

Less-known fact, the only other full-on Yamato-class Battleship was even tougher.  Musashi took  17 bomb and 19 torpedo hits during the Battle of the Sibuyan Sea, in October 1945.  Even more astounding, Musashi had a 57% survivor rate compared to Yamato's 7% survival rate.

My theory is that either Musashi was secretly made of adamantium, or a distant relative of Colossus was running around blocking bomb hits and torpedoes with his face.

I knew the Yamato was one tough beasty, I did not realize that it had a twin. I thought its rein was ended by a well-placed dive bomb down the boiler? Maybe that's why it didn't take as much damage as the other one.

Seperately, I'm getting a little frustrated with my planes. I'm up to 22 now, and fighting Yamato I can't get more than 20% of its health down before they're out of ammo or dead. I really want to sink Yamato with just planes, but it's proving exceedingly difficult. I may need a carrier ship of an entirely different caliber.

Or you'll need different types of planes. Unfortunately, those all cost real-money. Fighters seem to be good at absorbing hits and neutralizing AA, while torpedo/dive bombers are for finishing the fight. If all you've got is torpedo planes, you'll need a whole lot of them or to get really lucky with their hits - they're really easy to shoot down since they fly straight and level right at you when they're dropping  their trops.

Or perhaps... A submarine carrier ;D
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Thadius Faran

• Founder
    • 301st Corp
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 05:31:41 pm »
Astounding the strength of the Musashi isn't it.
If your going to use military force you ought to use overwhelming military force. All war is immoral and if you let that bother you your not a good soldier.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2013, 04:33:44 pm »
Have now conquered all the duels with the cheat-sub, which is also now 100% more efficient as it has 2 underwater torpedo tubes. Grand total cost- something like 170,000.

Anyway, I found out that it's not that the aircraft carriers are weak, it's that the level 2 carrier (Shinano?) is weak - Enterprise took an appropriate beating as expected.

I'm also working on a gun platform, so far I've sunk 20,000 or so into the hull. Not sure how it'll do against the Scorpius; that thing is fast (hard to hit) and has way too many torpedo tubes. It's also weak, but my trimaran should fare better until I can afford more long-range weaponry.

Speaking of, the trimaran is wicked fast - I built a small PT hydrofoil with an angled boiler and it goes 80 knots. The tri goes 65 or so with 3 medium boilers and 2 heavy; but is nearly solid armor and weapons.  :o
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2013, 06:25:17 pm »
Enterprise does indeed seem tougher. Against the Scorpius, I either a) wait till it's within 7km or so and give it a low-arch broadside, or b) pepper it from a distance with the MK45's. Hit the engine and it slows down and can't avoid silly things like planes or torpedoes or 16-inch shells.

The phsyics engine here has never heard of Newton. Cut your engine down to one single propeller, centrally placed, and you'll get a big speed boost. I hesitate to place a price on 255,979 tons of displacement, but I have 6 angled boilers and 1 propeller and I hit 70 knots.
--Trespassers will be promptly riddled with bullets and other unpleasant projectiles.

--Survivors will treated with apologies, steak dinner, and a VIP tour of our facilities.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2013, 12:54:43 pm »
The phsyics engine here has never heard of Newton. Cut your engine down to one single propeller, centrally placed, and you'll get a big speed boost. I hesitate to place a price on 255,979 tons of displacement, but I have 6 angled boilers and 1 propeller and I hit 70 knots.

I've been noticing shape isn't overly important. Something that I'm not sure is true any longer though - I've tried the 1-prop thing and it's not as fast; currently the tri has 4 props and any fewer makes it slower. I added 2 props to the hydroplane and got another 20-30 knots out of it. Perhaps it has something to do with the update?

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2013, 02:43:48 pm »
May have been it. I noticed that myself over the weekend.

I scrapped the Iron Thunder for slightly different design, and so far it stinks. I wish there were a way to save your template even after you've scrapped your parts. It's a lot of work to build from scratch--after about 40% build my editor gets choppy. :(
--Trespassers will be promptly riddled with bullets and other unpleasant projectiles.

--Survivors will treated with apologies, steak dinner, and a VIP tour of our facilities.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2013, 03:08:59 pm »
Yeah, I wish there was a "copy hull" button or "blueprint/test mode" or something; many times I've found myself lamenting that I'll need to edit my actual ship. At least there's loads of undo available.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 03:15:35 pm »
It's slow going, but I'm up to 36 aircraft and doing a bit better in PvP. I'm not spending $9 on SPY Radar, so I mostly just try to avoid aircraft.

Also recently realized my current build has room for 90 aircraft, with only teency modifications. That's going to take a lot of grinding to fill up, but will be really scary when finished. 90 aircraft + 12 46cm guns + 9 Mk45's would be nigh on unstoppable.

My current attack mode is to send out the 36 planes I have, and backpedal until they've put a dent in whoever--then I close in for the kill. It works around 70% of the time.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2013, 05:52:48 pm »
How, exactly, do the airplanes work? Do they work just like regular weapons, or do they have their own button? Do they auto land/rearm or do you need to allow them to do that? Do extra runways/landing strips help?

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Thadius Faran

• Founder
    • 301st Corp
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2013, 08:08:12 pm »
II would suspect their A.I.

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2013, 08:39:10 am »
They're actually pretty handy and have decent AI.

They automatically take off whenever you fire your weapons, and automatically seek out the nearest target. If it's a sub, they basically just circle overhead. They have to be stored on the same level as the runway, and they can automatically get themselves to it in order to take off.

More runways are helpful because you can pump them out faster--6 runways can clear 36 planes in 6 waves, compared to 9 waves for 4 runways or 18 waves for 2 runways. This is especially important if the opponent has Mk45's and closes quickly--if you only have a few runways, he can concentrate his Mk45 fire there, and stuff all your planes as they come out. With 6 or more, he'll have a lot more trouble and will probably miss a few.

Fighter planes have a limited supply of rockets, but when that's out they'll still circle the enemy and use their machine guns. They have unlimited machine gun ammo.  Torpedo planes are easy to shoot down, they come in low and direct. But their 4,000-hit torpedoes can be fired from 2.5km away, and those are hard to see.  Dive bombers have to fire from point blank range, but they're hard to shoot down once they've flown high enough. Then, as expected, they dive down to hit the target. 

Your odds are 20-40% for any individual plane to get a hit, but any more than 2-3 hits and you stand a good chance of damaging their engines. Without speed, they'll have a hard time damaging other planes or your guns. So while planes alone aren't often enough to sink the target, they're usually enough to tilt the odds in your favor.

Bombers and Torpedo planes have to come back and reload after one shot, if they survive that long.  But they don't usually get a second run, since your runway catches fire if it gets hit at all. It takes maybe 30 seconds without a hit to put the runway out, and in the heat of the fight that just doesn't happen. If the planes can't land, they just circle around your boat until a runway becomes available.

I think they did a great job developing things, and I hope BR follows the same suit. They released a basic game with solid features--build a ship, add a gun. Then they made subs a thing. Then, after (presumably) much work, they added planes and gave a great incentive for in-game purchases. They've also laid groundwork for the next release to include jets and missiles--the missiles are supposed to have solid accuracy, and the jets are supposed to have greater attack range and strength. I'm sure they wanted all those things to begin with, but they built a solid base with a solid game and then just added to it.

Thadius Faran

• Founder
    • 301st Corp
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2013, 08:43:27 am »
I knew it was A.I.! That is quite a solid system they have created. Maybe one of you can give me some pics until I can get the game? Oh have yall gotten to fight each other yet?

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2013, 01:37:06 pm »
I think they did a great job developing things, and I hope BR follows the same suit. They released a basic game with solid features--build a ship, add a gun. Then they made subs a thing. Then, after (presumably) much work, they added planes and gave a great incentive for in-game purchases. They've also laid groundwork for the next release to include jets and missiles--the missiles are supposed to have solid accuracy, and the jets are supposed to have greater attack range and strength. I'm sure they wanted all those things to begin with, but they built a solid base with a solid game and then just added to it.

I knew it was A.I.! That is quite a solid system they have created. Maybe one of you can give me some pics until I can get the game? Oh have yall gotten to fight each other yet?

Search "Battleship Craft," there's loads of picts. Here's a couple good examples though:

The shipyard view. In the shipyard or battle modes, the camera can orbit your ship and zoom in/out. In the shipyard, you can also pan; and in some of the drills you can't orbit your ship because you are a crosshair-cam. In the shipyard, those icons allow you to add parts/open up the part browser, paint parts, delete parts, etc. Tapping adds a part, and dragging moves it around/expands/contracts it to fill the space it's in and balance your ship. That is necessary because some people want odd-sized hulls and some want even, and the weapons are different minimum sizes. Expanding them allows the weapon/object to be centered.

This is the battle view. The thing on the right is your throttle, the left is your steering wheel (which is way too touchy IMO; it's possibly glitched too, I often having trouble turning my ships or getting them to turn properly, but that might also be that they have damaged/broken rudders). Touching the screen fires, dragging moves the camera, pinching zooms. I'm not sure, but it seems like tapping near a ship aims at that spot, while touching the ship aims at the ship; kinda lame if so since everything is moving (it should always do one or the other).

I really like the simplicity of the system, and I hope they keep updating it. It needs better maps, larger engagements, and AI duels; and maybe a campaign. I'm not sure about the new weapons they're planning to add, and I wish there was a way to get rare metal without paying for it (buy the whole game for $5 or get 1 rare/10+ victories in MP or something). The weapons they want are all from the modern era, where the Battleship has lost dominance of the seas completely and isn't really used by anyone - accurate long range missiles and jet aircraft are better than cannons that can only hit 15km. I'd prefer it stay WWII and carriers/subs be made obscenely costly/risky so that battleships are the main focus, as the title implies. As it is, a battleship will just about always loose to a sub if the sub is smart/doesn't get hit by a rare-metal weapon or get directly beneath the ship despite the sub's 2ish km worthwhile firing range; and will likely loose to a well-stocked carrier (which is admittedly expensive) before getting to fire on it. If those things are added, subs and carriers get even better, while any kind of regular ship gets worse (let's give the two most powerful ship classes weapons to let them engage from further away and more accurately than any cannon would let them! Great idea!).

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Thadius Faran

• Founder
    • 301st Corp
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2013, 02:13:14 pm »
It would be funny if they added the transformer 2 railgun that is on the New Jersey. Your searching for the enemy when out of no where a crack goes off and your ship turns into a fireball. But yeah it should probably continue with the large cannons instead of going with    more modern weapons.