Author Topic: New Video! Powerline Demonstration! (March 24th)  (Read 3806 times)

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
New Video! Powerline Demonstration! (March 24th)
« on: March 24, 2013, 12:38:36 pm »
Just wanted to get this posted to the forums!

Reminder: This video is of visualizations and is *not* in game! (read more below)

We demonstrate one of the many systems we're focusing on this year now that the ship systems have our undivided attention.  Note that before any of these systems are integrated, we'll be releasing our upcoming Sandbox update (see FAQ below) that rebuilds BR's foundation from the ground-up for multiplayer.

Sandbox Update FAQ:
http://www.blockaderunnergame.com/faq.aspx#update

If you've got any questions on Powerlines that were not answered by the video, fire away and we'll answer what we can!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:40:20 pm by Aaron »

mamastoast

• Founder
Re: New Video! Powerline Demonstration! (March 24th)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 12:54:52 pm »
I for one am extremely impressed by this system. It is pretty much perfect. I realize this is, as always, not ingame, but it seems realistic and very cool. I have a few questions though;

Now as far as I can understand, the lines themselves do not need to follow the traditional  "grid" that everything else follows. Rather they're simply straight lines drawn between points/joints. So I was wondering, will these still have a collision box? is this possible? Or are they simply hit if the "block" area they exist in is hit? Also, is it possible to use this kind of thing to make other non-grid based stuff. I'l thinking ropes, cables to hold stuff up and stuff like that.

Also, in the video you say that as the engineer you can simply build a new generator. I assume this won't be possible as a character, to simply build a generator on the fly.

Will there be a max amount of power being led through a single powerline? Say, I can't power my entire ship from just one consistant powerline? Is this where megalines might come in? I'm thinking for huge ships with a ton of rooms.

I assume that life support also falls under things that require power so taking out the power supply to life support, would kill the enire crew within mins, right? (really hope so).

Also, this video really makes me want rotating turrets and working doors xD
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:33:44 pm by mamastoast »

Erebus

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 12:56:20 pm »
I have to excuse my critizism on "Visualizations" in the other thread. I still prefer ingame material, but that video is so detailed and well thought I absolutly believe its an accurate representation.

And yeah the power lines themselves: Perfect. Exactly what I imagined & wanted!

Viken

• Super Moderator
  • "And the very fabric of space/time shall tremble!"
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 01:29:52 pm »
Well now, that looks awesome.  8)
"It only takes one word to change a life, one thought to change the world, and one action to destroy it all..."

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 01:38:33 pm »
Now as far as I can understand, the lines themselves do not need to follow the traditional  "grid" that everything else follows. Rather they're simply straight lines drawn between points/joints. So I was wondering, will these still have a collision box? is this possible? Or are they simply hit if the "block" area they exist in is hit?

Correct, and yes they'll have their own collision box for weapons (very good chance for players as well, but it might take longer to have a performance OK implementation).

Also, is it possible to use this kind of thing to make other non-grid based stuff. I'l thinking ropes, cables to hold stuff up and stuff like that.

Since the lines are not tied to the standard grid, theoretically you could 'fake' ropes and cables through modding, although I don't know if we'd have it supported in the vanilla game. =P

Also, in the video you say that as the engineer you can simply build a new generator. I assume this won't be possible as a character, to simply build a generator on the fly.

No, 'engineer' was meant to be representational of the "Builder Mode" in the Sandbox update.  "Player" mode will have very limited functionality for a while, mostly pertaining to operating the ship (and dieing).  We'd already built in the MC-style inventory and placing blocks, but we want to put that stuff on hold until we can give it more focus, so don't be expecting to build as the "Player" character for a while (read: while major ship systems are still the priority).

Will there be a max amount of power being led through a single powerline? Say, I can't power my entire ship from just one consistant powerline? Is this where megalines might come in? I'm thinking for huge ships with a ton of rooms.

That's the idea, but whether you can for example split a "10mw" into a bunch of "1mw" lines might not be possible.  The plan right now is that a type of powerline has a dedicated Min-Max power transfer, and it must remain that type from joints to power generators.  Not final of course, but likely.

I assume that life support also falls under things that require power so taking out the power supply to life support, would kill the enire crew within mins, right? (really hope so).

No power, no oxygen scrubbers.  We may have to have oxygen just 'deplete' where it stands, but we're thinking we might be able to use "CO2" as its own gas type that you generate.  If it's too technical or boring, away it goes (for someone else to mod back in).

Also, this video really makes me want rotating turrets and working doors xD

=D

Imaus

• Founder
  • Let the Hammerfall
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 03:18:24 pm »
must have
Family Balenchist

kaptnkrunch

• Founder
  • Full Violocity ahead. With all violence and speed.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 03:19:49 pm »
Looks like an exceptionally solid direction to progress in. Heading towards being a really interesting and quite unique and intricate game.

I'd love to see half and quarter blocks as well to go with the smaller power lines. The m^3 blocks are too chunky for fighters IMO.

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 03:24:04 pm »
Looks like an exceptionally solid direction to progress in. Heading towards being a really interesting and quite unique and intricate game.

I'd love to see half and quarter blocks as well to go with the smaller power lines. The m^3 blocks are too chunky for fighters IMO.

I truly agree with this. This however would bring in a ton of other concerns.. I also think the devs have said it won't be possible. But you're right. Fighter deisgns are very limited as it stands.

CmndrMarcsBirger

• Founder
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 03:34:14 pm »
Everything is coming up nicely!

A few things that I noticed:

- ANGLED GLASS! Either it was that or glass PLATE Glass which I think would be better.

- New Plate mechanics!? More things can be plated. Also that "glass plating" looks as if you can choose an angle without there being any frame under it.

- Sliding doors would be better going side to side. Or just make a bunch or an option that lets you choose how they open. I always thought that that small door would open by the two sections the textures implied.

-Generator Blocks!

Questions:

- Shouldn't generators be connected to a reactor? Or does the generator have a reactor? Reactant fuel lines too?

- You guys did plan on consumables like fuel and ammo. Where will that be stored on a small star fighter like that? In the generator/weapons them selves (weapons that consume ammunition of course)?

- Has the power output for prefab generators vs. block generators been determined? Or power output in general? Also the possibility of different tiers of generators (power output wise)?

- Will generators have a "Power Bubble" too?

- What will determine the size of the "Power Bubble"?

- Will these Mega Lines be scaleable?

Suggestions:

- I have a feeling you guys have this planned but I will say it. Batteries should work like generators with the exception that they need to be connected to the power source to be charged. When power fails the battery kicks in.

- Fighter sized weapons. That gun that fighter had looks more like the barrel of a large turret.

- Have Mega Lines connect only to extremely large thrusters  and huge energy weapons. Example:
Spoiler

Questions unrelated to this update:

- Any word on turrets and the components to build a turret?

- Shield generators and emitters?

- Any word on weapon types and custom weapon tools?

- Any word on SLABS to make building small ships and fighters easier? As well as adding another dimension to the build grid? This dimension would work only for slabs so you can place them in 2 section like mine craft does it OR in 3 sections which I believe would be better since it would add the middle slab section. This would allow to create "shelves" and thin walls when you flip the slab over.

Can't think of anything else but I'll post some more whenever I think of it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 03:42:32 pm by CmndrMarcsBirger »

JmAssassinatorz

• Founder
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 03:44:17 pm »
Will we be able to interact with the defrient power nodes say i want to cut power to a room with a bording party?

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 04:03:47 pm »
looks like a good system so far. cant wait to play with it at some point :P

keep up the good work guys!

quick question. will there be some sort of voltage vallance mechanic like in say IC2, were if you pump to much energy through a wire it just pops? so a baddly designed energy grid might just take its self apart if you hit it just right.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 04:06:19 pm by theallmightybob »
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

Kaian-a-coel

• Founder
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 05:21:39 pm »

ChunkofWhat

• Founder
  • rawr
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 05:46:20 pm »
How about functionality for crew members accidentally tripping over power lines and losing all your ship schematic data?

TarotDragoon

• Founder
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 06:45:29 pm »
YES! AMAZING!!

THIS is what we are here for and THIS is what we stay for, as long as you beautiful devs can continue to deliver then I will continue to return and spread the word. the sooner you guys get this into the game the better... so to speak.

Spoiler
I would of course prefer that THIS was an ingame update but alas I shall have to take what is being offered

I would observe that the powerlines currently look very.... warp-y.. would a request for more bland and boring power lines fall on deaf ears? glowing power lines seem a little.... uh... cheesy to me. while I understand the need to have a visual cue to know they're working, their current appearence just looks a little too seventies I think.

Micah- Loving all the ships here Tarot!

PURPLE UNTO DEATH!!! (or maybe blue)

Megarith

• Founder
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 07:48:56 pm »
I would observe that the powerlines currently look very.... warp-y.. would a request for more bland and boring power lines fall on deaf ears? glowing power lines seem a little.... uh... cheesy to me. while I understand the need to have a visual cue to know they're working, their current appearence just looks a little too seventies I think.

I think thats the charm they are aiming for, isn't it?

Anyway, love the vid. Cleared some questions, but raised a few others, all of which already stand here.
 Now, to wait.. :/