Author Topic: Quick Question  (Read 2660 times)

Synapse

• Spacer
  • Stop looking at my neurons!
Quick Question
« on: February 07, 2013, 04:19:15 am »
How do you upload a ship to be downloaded?
[Insert signature here]

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
Re: Quick Question
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 04:25:32 am »
if its not to big you can just attatch it to your post. might have to zip it first.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 04:46:05 pm »
Moved to Meta

When posting, click the "Attachments and other options" link below the text box. There you can upload your ship as an attachment, although we prefer if you put it in a .zip file first per theallmightybob's suggestion. The ship file format compresses really well, and using .zip will allow it to be uploaded & downloaded faster, as well as taking up less disk space.

Alternatively, you could use an external file locker to host the file and just post the link. Of course, you'd have to make sure that the file is publicly accessible (some services are intended for private backups), and using a smaller .zip file still has the same benefits.
<Czorio> The bittersweet embrace of the Alaric is the only embrace I'll ever know.
<Gabriel> Because Alaric robbed your pleasure...
<Aaron> I feel dirty. Alaric, pls hold me.
<Terah> I don't guess when it comes to you Alaric, I just assume you are always watching...

Synapse

• Spacer
  • Stop looking at my neurons!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 11:03:23 pm »
Alright, thanks.  :)
[Insert signature here]

Thadius Faran

• Founder
  • Leader of the S.D.I and CEO of 301st industries
    • 301st Corp
Re: Blockade Runner Ship Reviews
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 09:03:19 am »
Um... stupid question. How do I attach my ship to my pm?
If your going to use military force you ought to use overwhelming military force. All war is immoral and if you let that bother you your not a good soldier.

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 04:10:57 pm »
Merged in Thadius Faran's question

Unfortunately the forum does not support direct attachments to PMs, at least not currently. If you wish to "send" a file via PM your best option would be to use a 3rd party file host and include the link in your PM. See my previous post for a link to Wikipedia's list of options.
<Czorio> The bittersweet embrace of the Alaric is the only embrace I'll ever know.
<Terah> I don't guess when it comes to you Alaric, I just assume you are always watching...

Thadius Faran

• Founder
    • 301st Corp
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 05:39:46 pm »
Can I put my brd. in an email and attach it to my pm?
If your going to use military force you ought to use overwhelming military force. All war is immoral and if you let that bother you your not a good soldier.

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 09:35:25 pm »
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. You can attach the file to an email and send it that way (via email) but you'd need to have the recipient's email address - all that would take place outside the forum entirely.

Currently there is no way to "attach" a file in any form to a PM. The only thing you can send with PMs is text; sometimes the text can have extra meaning (e.g. hyperlinks) or be specially formatted, but no actual files can be transferred via PM.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 02:41:55 pm »
Currently there is no way to "attach" a file in any form to a PM. The only thing you can send with PMs is text; sometimes the text can have extra meaning (e.g. hyperlinks) or be specially formatted, but no actual files can be transferred via PM.

How long can a PM be? Everything can be reduced to text - perhaps you could open the .brd in a text editor and copy-paste all that and send it. Hopefully the PM system doesn't muck with the formatting ;D
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Thadius Faran

• Founder
    • 301st Corp
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 04:05:45 pm »
Is that even feasible?

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 05:30:52 pm »
Technically I suppose it is plausible. However, Me2005 is correct in that the size limitation of PMs (I believe the forum maximum is 64k characters, much less whatever the default setting is) would severely restrict the size of the ship you intend to send. In addition, along with formatting problems is how the forum deals with special characters which are likely the majority of the reduced file. From past experience, I already know the answer to that is "not well;" when the forum can't even parse an em dash or accented vowel I would not be surprised if it fails at sending a non-text file as raw text.

ice

• Founder
  • *flails*
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 03:01:49 am »
Though, are they not updating to a new filesystem that will be way more compressed, allowing people to upload as attachments or otherwise?
Admiral of the mighty Fleet of Stoli.

Thadius Faran

• Founder
    • 301st Corp
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 10:47:35 am »
There is no attachment button for pms

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 04:04:37 pm »
Though, are they not updating to a new filesystem that will be way more compressed, allowing people to upload as attachments or otherwise?

They are: the new BRS format. However, with compression comes the likelihood of more obscure characters resulting from the textification of such a file. And as Thadius Faran pointed out you cannot attach files directly to PMs.

For posts, however:
The ship file format compresses really well, and using .zip will allow it to be uploaded & downloaded faster, as well as taking up less disk space.
I suspect BRS will end up being a similar size as us manually zipping our BRDs now.