Author Topic: Niwantaw's idle rambling thread of junk,  (Read 53522 times)

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
Re: Niwantaw's fleet
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2011, 11:47:23 am »
As for the date look at the first post. I started this thread when I started the shedim.

And I'm mostly using medium plating on a heavy plating backdrop for writing like this:

"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
<Strait_Raider>That's like... my two favorite things.
     Put together.
     That's like... Kate Upton in a Tiger

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 03:53:27 pm »
Double post

Death rays, turrets and dining halls!

Death ray
Spoiler

Turrets:
Spoiler

Dining hall
Spoiler

Comments?
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
     Put together.

Rainman

• Founder
  • Loremaster
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 04:16:10 pm »
Won't the rear turret smash a huge hole in the front one if it fires? O_o
SCIENCE!
...IN SPAAAAAAAACE!

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 04:37:18 pm »
Won't the rear turret smash a huge hole in the front one if it fires? O_o

It's guns start 1m above the front turret.

Put together.

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2011, 07:24:10 am »
Update

Put together.

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2011, 08:29:31 am »
Coming together nicely. I assume you've abandoned internals like I did save for a few rooms until we get internal compoents?

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2011, 08:37:14 am »
Coming together nicely. I assume you've abandoned internals like I did save for a few rooms until we get internal compoents?
I might lay out the decks as I plan to leave a fair bit of space between decks for any utilities that need to go there but for the most part yes I'm just doing the hull (and turrets :D)

Quick question for you: How are you doing your engines? I have a horrible suspicion that I'm just not going to have enough surface area to put engines :/

EDIT: Another few rings done:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:24:15 am by niwantaw »

Put together.

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2011, 11:06:17 am »
Thankfully, it's not much of an issue for my ship as it will be for yours, since my largest facing section is bow/aft. I wouldn't worry about not having enough thrust power just yet. The goal is only to get this beast moving, anything above that is bonus when she's fully done. You don't want to slap on a shittone of engines only to have to rip them out because you don't have enough power to run them all.

But I do have some suggestions for you. If you've used up the entire aft plate section for engines and you still don't have enough, don't shy away from extending some pods out from centre hull and building some thrust units there. Aside from spreading your critical points out instead of one big blob aft, it also gives a pretty cool look when you fly by someone.

Having said that though, two big 'engines' is better than four small ones. The less design entanglements (Like I did on SH's 4x4 block units), the better. If you can afford the space (Like I can) Then go for it, all the extra armour around the engine units the better.

And as a last resort; if in doubt, cheat. Build some 'impulse' engines (Engine units inside a hull pod), or double stack your engines (one after the other with a one block gap in between rows) inside the engine housing.

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2011, 11:26:07 am »
Thankfully, it's not much of an issue for my ship as it will be for yours, since my largest facing section is bow/aft. I wouldn't worry about not having enough thrust power just yet. The goal is only to get this beast moving, anything above that is bonus when she's fully done. You don't want to slap on a shittone of engines only to have to rip them out because you don't have enough power to run them all.

But I do have some suggestions for you. If you've used up the entire aft plate section for engines and you still don't have enough, don't shy away from extending some pods out from centre hull and building some thrust units there. Aside from spreading your critical points out instead of one big blob aft, it also gives a pretty cool look when you fly by someone.

Having said that though, two big 'engines' is better than four small ones. The less design entanglements (Like I did on SH's 4x4 block units), the better. If you can afford the space (Like I can) Then go for it, all the extra armour around the engine units the better.

And as a last resort; if in doubt, cheat. Build some 'impulse' engines (Engine units inside a hull pod), or double stack your engines (one after the other with a one block gap in between rows) inside the engine housing.
I "should" have an area around 300m x 250m across for engines but if I want to keep it looking nice I suspect I'll have to put extra engines on side pods and/or cheat. Partially because I hope to get this thing moving pretty quick forwards as I plan to rely on that coupled with the fact the entire sideways thrust is located at a single end which will hopefully let it spin like a top.

Put together.

The Wolf

• Founder
  • Confucius say when crap hits fan wear raincoat
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2011, 05:15:52 pm »
Just how big is that monster going to be when the hull is done ?

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2011, 05:56:01 pm »
1500x300x250ish :3

Think that's too small?

Put together.

The Wolf

• Founder
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2011, 06:43:51 pm »
Well that makes my current project look like a lifeboat   :-[
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 06:53:50 pm by The Wolf »

Rainman

• Founder
  • Loremaster
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2011, 08:45:33 am »
It's alright, the ship-as-representative-phallus contest always starts somewhere. :P
SCIENCE!
...IN SPAAAAAAAACE!

The Wolf

• Founder
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2011, 02:42:13 pm »
Dam I was hoping that wouldn't happen till we had multiplayer  ???

Mr. Vorgra

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2011, 06:24:40 pm »
how about 25000 lifeboats for the price of one big boat --- I wonder, Ive designed my super ship, but I don't intend to start making it yet, Its like those chig battleships, but horizontal.

Significantly Fewer decks, but the decks would be very long, etc