Author Topic: The lighting  (Read 2236 times)

Commander

• Skipper
The lighting
« on: January 14, 2013, 03:21:28 am »
http://s1.directupload.net/images/130114/r332fkxg.jpg

In Minecraft even things with the same texture as the surroundings stay distinguishable. In Blockade Runner all becomes a mess, and they blend into the background :(

JmAssassinatorz

• Founder
Re: The lighting
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 04:57:22 am »
thats be course the lighting isent exactly done yet remember this game is still in deep alpha and everythings up for change  :D

Erebus

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 05:53:18 am »
I have to say, Alpha or not, this should be very high on the to-do-list. Its literally the first thing you see when you start the game, and I believe some players may think "OMG even Minecraft has better graphics!!!111".

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 04:23:37 pm »
First off, you are comparing the sixth version of Minecraft's lighting engine (with smooth lighting on, to boot) with the second or third version of Blockade Runner's. Secondly, the Minecraft example is dealing with a point source of light with limited throw compared to Blockade Runner's uniform directional light source with no shadows or distance-based reduction. Third, you can use the existing "Flashlight" lighting mode to be able to distinguish between near and far objects by looking at them.

I see the sentiment of "should be very high on the to-do-list" applied to every which feature with similar rationales; that is why we've had feature prioritization polls, and lighting/shadows traditionally hasn't been prioritized (in aggregate by you, the community) over other, more gameplay-focused elements.

To compare Blockade Runner's current state with Minecraft's current state is disingenuous at best, if you are aware of the game's state of development; ignorant at worst if you are not and expect them to be similar.
<Czorio> The bittersweet embrace of the Alaric is the only embrace I'll ever know.
<Gabriel> Because Alaric robbed your pleasure...
<Aaron> I feel dirty. Alaric, pls hold me.
<Terah> I don't guess when it comes to you Alaric, I just assume you are always watching...

Neonivek

• Founder
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 05:03:16 am »
As well there has been this weird increased expectation for Alphas to be much more "playable" lately. Likely because of the indiegame rush.

There was a reason why a lot of companies would outright dread the idea of an alpha being released to the public and that is that alphas are unplayable garbage without exception. They are in this state because they are the game before it is a game.

They will be missing key features, textures, UI sections, often sounds, music... anything.

There should be absolutely no expectations for an alpha. No idea of what should and shouldn't be done for the alpha and the fact that they even have priority polls is a gift and not a privilage.

Now saying that you would have liked the lighting to be in the game and that you wished they would get around to it sooner is fine. Saying that the developers have any shred of fault for not including it sooner however is in error.

Why? because it is an early playable section of the game created for testing purposes.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 05:04:48 am by Neonivek »

Commander

• Skipper
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 03:13:51 am »
First off, you are comparing the sixth version of Minecraft's lighting engine (with smooth lighting on, to boot) with the second or third version of Blockade Runner's. Secondly, the Minecraft example is dealing with a point source of light with limited throw compared to Blockade Runner's uniform directional light source with no shadows or distance-based reduction. Third, you can use the existing "Flashlight" lighting mode to be able to distinguish between near and far objects by looking at them.

I see the sentiment of "should be very high on the to-do-list" applied to every which feature with similar rationales; that is why we've had feature prioritization polls, and lighting/shadows traditionally hasn't been prioritized (in aggregate by you, the community) over other, more gameplay-focused elements.

To compare Blockade Runner's current state with Minecraft's current state is disingenuous at best, if you are aware of the game's state of development; ignorant at worst if you are not and expect them to be similar.

Sorry but thats not true. Even around 2010, ONE year into the development of Minecraft, Notch still working alone had a decent lightning engine. I have my old screenshots from that period, even the first indev survival builds looked better.

We are now two years into the development of BR and it looks still like a blurry mess.

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 11:40:28 pm »
So... here is an image of minecraft taken during the period of november the 20th and 23rd, sorry to disappoint, but there was pretty much no lighting engine at that time. the reason it looks "better" is due to the lack of varibles to effect the final outcome, eg, no normal maps, no specular maps, hell minecraft didn't even have a anyform of real time lighting, oath it wasn't even smooth lighting, it was a level of brightness applied to each block dependent on the light level of the blocks surrounding it and the light sources was just a reverse of the previous.
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.