Author Topic: Shielding block  (Read 7956 times)

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
Shielding block
« on: September 28, 2011, 03:50:12 pm »
Morning,

I'd like to request an electronic Shielding block, to protect computers against EMP attacks.

~~Caio
~~SnowDragon

Dayshine

• Founder
  • Contributor
Re: Shielding block
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 03:54:17 pm »
I disagree, EMP is about more than just computer systems. All targeting, shields, engines and others could all be affected by an EMP burst.
The question is whether shields themselves can block EMP.
And if you're replacing hull plating with EMP plating when your shield (and EMP) protection go down then you have little or no resistance to convential weapons.

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 03:58:15 pm »
It could be as simple as a block of lead (Something wtih more weight than gold) that would have an EMP resistance value FAR above that of a normal block.

-------

And the glory of Voxel type games is that those things don't exist.

Double post corrected due to post removal ~~SD
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 08:54:19 am by SnowDragon »

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 04:12:51 pm »
Yes they can, when you apply the layer to the block it can change the properties, I.E. assigning it a different skin/block code. So then you put it on hull and it turns into EMP resistant hull block.

Simple, easy, and easy to put into the game as a viable method of emp proofing. Would also allow for a large custom approach to EMP shielding.

"Quotes at the bottom of signatures are pointless. Just like this one."

- Unknown

Rainman

• Founder
  • Loremaster
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 04:20:29 pm »
From what I understand of the "plating" system, that might actually not be too farfetched.
SCIENCE!
...IN SPAAAAAAAACE!

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 06:01:10 pm »
Actually EMP shielding is rather simple: a Faraday cage negates any external electric field (i.e. EMP) from affecting what is inside it. Just enclose the vital system in an electrically conductive material.
<Czorio> The bittersweet embrace of the Alaric is the only embrace I'll ever know.
<Gabriel> Because Alaric robbed your pleasure...
<Aaron> I feel dirty. Alaric, pls hold me.
<Terah> I don't guess when it comes to you Alaric, I just assume you are always watching...

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 06:03:38 pm »
Actually EMP shielding is rather simple: a Faraday cage negates any external electric field (i.e. EMP) from affecting what is inside it. Just enclose the vital system in an electrically conductive material.

Does that work against the EMP generated by a Nuclear blast (supposing that the blast itself doesn't damage anything)?
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Dayshine

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 06:11:20 pm »
For any game purposes however, an alternative hull plating that simply block EMP pulses would be a simple mechanic.

What happens if your EMP plating is slightly damaged though? If your hull integrity is slightly breached is your entire ship suddenly at risk? Or does it require a large area of plating to be destroyed before systems nearby can be interrupted?

What about being able to adjust your shield to counter their weapons, if you keep using similar EMP pulses it could be possible to modulate your shields to deflect that frequency.

Kron

• Founder
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 06:30:17 pm »
Here's an idea:

EMP weapons secretly fire small scatters of invisible projectiles, that can be stopped by "hardened" materials. While in the game it looks like some sort of wave animation or odd sparks at the target region, in reality it's actually a kind of electromagnetic shotgun.

As hardened sections are removed, more "EMP particles" will be able to leak into the hull from EMP weapons.

Alias72

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 06:42:01 pm »
the problem is that EMP's fan out like an explosion. the shotgun method won't emulate that accurately enough.

why not just assume that technology is shielded against being fried by EMP's (destroyed by power surges) for the simple reasoning that in space EMP is a bigger threat, and instead just have EMP's temporarily disable nearby enemies. that way EMP's are not over powered.

Dayshine

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 06:45:47 pm »
Here's an idea:

EMP weapons secretly fire small scatters of invisible projectiles, that can be stopped by "hardened" materials. While in the game it looks like some sort of wave animation or odd sparks at the target region, in reality it's actually a kind of electromagnetic shotgun.

As hardened sections are removed, more "EMP particles" will be able to leak into the hull from EMP weapons.

That's good, then systems can have certain tolerances for EMP emission.

For example:

If you reach 100 units you start to get slight glitches and malfunctions.
If you reach 1000 units the system cuts out for seconds at a time.
If you reach 10000 units the system is damaged and requires manual repairs.

Over time (or by repair systems) this damage could be removed but as combat went on the stress created by the amount of high energy systems slowly cripples vessels.

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 11:02:19 pm »

I love that you know this Alaric shows that you go old school tech too ;].

So day you are suggesting kind of like a computer health meter? I like it and I think that we should have a cleansing optin/reboot that will take many computer driven functions off line to clean the system. If it is a reboot then it will shut everything down.

"Quotes at the bottom of signatures are pointless. Just like this one."

- Unknown

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 01:55:24 pm »
digging up an old thead I know. but i dident want to start a new one. For the computer health meter you could use the method they have used in tons of games (like mech woror 3 for example even though theirs was for heat). start over laying artifacts and staic on the displays in a varrying scale. it still makes it so you can use the hud when its all mess up and it gives you a good indicator of how mess up you are.  Its better then just adding another bar too.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 07:18:15 pm »
This idea I like, but for some of the bigger ships where a directed EM pulse doesn't encompass the entire ship it'll only have to be for parts of the ship that are in the fire line. (If the sensors get hit, those get frizty, engineering makes the engines respond to orders in odd ways etc etc)

Yolan

• Founder
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 05:05:14 am »
Hmmm. This thread is linked to as the thread concerning discussion about shields, but it seems to be focused on EMP. Can somebody direct me to the thread about shields in general?
That's no moon!