Author Topic: New Shipyard Tools  (Read 2581 times)

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
New Shipyard Tools
« on: October 24, 2012, 10:34:16 pm »
It would be nice if there was a 2d rectangle tool. It would save me a lot time that was otherwise spent on deleting extra layers of blocks.
Gabe has a wraith? That explains so much.

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
Re: New Shipyard Tools
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 09:16:13 pm »
What, like an X by Y rectangle that is only one block wide? You can already do that by...using the rectangle tool and making it one block wide. As long as one of your dimensions is 1 then you effectively have a 2-dimensional rectangle creator.

Unless you want a rectangle of zero width, which is just silly.
<Czorio> The bittersweet embrace of the Alaric is the only embrace I'll ever know.
<Gabriel> Because Alaric robbed your pleasure...
<Aaron> I feel dirty. Alaric, pls hold me.
<Terah> I don't guess when it comes to you Alaric, I just assume you are always watching...

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 09:24:34 pm »
I know that it is possible to make the rectangle one block thick I just keep messing up And making it say 4 blocks thick. I may just need to have more pracitce but it would be convenient if there was a 1 block thick rectangle tool.

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 04:59:15 pm »
How about the ability to lock or manually set the XYZ dimensions? For the former, select which dimension(s) you wish to lock whenever it reaches that value and it will ignore further mouse movement in that/those direction(s). For the latter, enter the desired dimensions and pick a starting point, the preview will snap to the closest corner to which you move your mouse.

I hardly think creating an entirely new tool for this is necessary, but expanding the capabilities of what we already have should be amenable to most...
<Czorio> The bittersweet embrace of the Alaric is the only embrace I'll ever know.
<Gabriel> Because Alaric robbed your pleasure...
<Aaron> I feel dirty. Alaric, pls hold me.
<Terah> I don't guess when it comes to you Alaric, I just assume you are always watching...

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 05:12:16 pm »
It would be nice to be able to place your starting block, then face the direction you want to build your 'rectangle' and type out the dimensions.

Bladecatcher

• Founder
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 10:24:04 pm »
I'd get the most use out of a "hollow" option for rectangles and spheres.

Commander Jackson

• Founder
  • Lazy dev E.M.T.
  • Ex astris, scientia
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 09:13:39 pm »
In my opinion locking the XYZ Dimensions is a great idea.  And the hollow tool...It's not a bad idea.

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 12:29:27 am »
ive said it before, but we also need the ability to lock the ratio of an object by holding a button. that way you can drag a square and it stays a square instead of it buming out of ratio by a few blocks when you drag it bigger. like in paint/photoshop. would do a world of good to add to all the tools.

example:

drag a rectangle out to 2x2x2, hold shift and keep draging and the shape maintains the ratio. 3x3x3 4x4x4 ect... it basicly stays a cube becasue thats how i set the ratio before i locked it by holding shift.

would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

Rohen

• Founder
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 03:45:44 am »
A select tool, and a copy and paste function. Maybe a rotate selection function as well.

Bladecatcher

• Founder
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 05:05:55 pm »
A select tool, and a copy and paste function. Maybe a rotate selection function as well.

That. Locking dimensions, the hollow tool, those would all be nice, but a select-cut/copy/paste is something that I think the editor really needs.