Author Topic: weird goings on.  (Read 2331 times)

TarotDragoon

• Founder
weird goings on.
« on: October 04, 2012, 01:10:11 pm »
trying to import my 3x3 bell rocket and it looks like the normals are all inside out, when I release the button to place it, it crashes the game. any idea what's going on?
Micah- Loving all the ships here Tarot!

PURPLE UNTO DEATH!!! (or maybe blue)

copyman

• Founder
Re: weird goings on.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 03:51:08 pm »
Are you using Blender? I use Blender and I have to mirror the object otherwise the textures will come out mirrored within BR. Once mirrored in Blender and I have to flip all normals. Then I make sure they are all reversed.
So everything in Blender is backwards and inside out pretty much. Then I export to obj with the correct settings.

TarotDragoon

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 04:12:02 pm »
nope 3ds max is my weapon of choice (well... I say choice)

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 04:41:03 pm »
The crashing is caused by your code in the Solids.xml, can you see any faces at all? if your normals are flipped then you will see all the faces inside (because you can see through the back of normals), there is a modifier in 3dsmax called "Normals" use that to flip the normals, to tell if a face is facing the correct way when selecting it with a Polygon sub modifier (from edit poly for example) the polygon will vibrant red if correct and dull red with an outline if wrong.
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

TarotDragoon

• Founder
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 05:52:09 pm »
the problem isn't with max, everything is where it should be, i'll have a look at solids.xml

copyman

• Founder
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 05:56:02 pm »
I had a problem where it was crashing because I forgot to rename my obj file to "model.obj". Not sure if that is your problem though because you said you see your model in BR but just suggesting checking the file names for everything is always good just in case. Anytime I had normals in the wrong direction in BR it wouldnt freeze so that is not the problem.
BTW when it crashed for me I tried ctl alt dlt, alt tab and everything and couldnt exit the game.Just froze and had to manual turn off my pc.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 06:02:56 pm by copyman »

TarotDragoon

• Founder
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 06:17:52 pm »
tried it again and it didn't crash, so I snagged a picture:

I'm starting to think it has something to do with the texture files since I have no idea what the hell I'm doing there lol.

copyman

• Founder
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 08:11:37 pm »
I had that happen once when I forgot to set the UVs in the settings. I goto GLSL mode in my software to make sure the texture is applied correctly.
Made sure the texture name is "texture-diffuse.dds"?
If that isnt the problem then I would think it within the Solids xml. Maybe the Rendertype isnt set to geometry?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:16:04 pm by copyman »

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 12:44:42 am »
Check the following parts of your Solid.xml code (highlighted red)

<PHASER Mass="25" HP="10" Type="Prefab" RenderType="Geometry" Author="MrVorgra" Tags="parts,blaster,gun,weapon,offense,turret,laser" DescShort="Large door" DescLong="" Flags="0" ModelPath="phaser" TexturePath="texture" />

Also check that your diffuse is named texture-diffuse.dds and your normal map is called texture-special.dds, I remember having the solution for this but that was like 6 months ago, and as of late I havn't been bothering to put in any of the files into the game, just been sending them to micah and letting them do what they wish with it.
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

copyman

• Founder
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 03:36:53 am »
I just had that problem with where the textures were black and the reason is because I forgot to save my textures at 256x256. Any higher and it wont work(for now).

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 09:42:54 am »
It should also display a message stating the textures are two high rez... (at least it did at one point)