Author Topic: Tutorial?... Somewhere?  (Read 2501 times)

iStormUK

• Founder
Tutorial?... Somewhere?
« on: August 23, 2012, 06:26:46 am »
Interestingly enough. I cannot figure the game out. I've gotten the jist of the ADV editor, but the main mode seems utterly alien. Click 'help' it brings me here.

Controls, doesn't seem to do much, except flip between the various modes, Azerty, qwerty, dvorak, custom. But, er, it doesn't actually say what the controls are, how to use them, how to confgure.

I'm aware it's pre-beta, so customising them is likely not easy right now. But even a trawl through the wiki shows nothing. It doesn't even list the main mode in the front page. In addition, the inventory is as confusing as hell, and doesn't actually seem to do much. (Edit, found an article on inventory being bleh right now)

Would appreciate some kind of 'New to Blockade Runner, here's how you start' guide. Consider me a noob, if you will.

I have the full version, so beyond whats not yet developed, I should have everything enabled. :)

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
Re: Tutorial?... Somewhere?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 07:55:14 am »
Hmm. Having a tutorial thread would be a good idea. I'd drum one up tonight, but my second job runs until midnight.

Until we get one up you can locate the controls.xml file and open it with notepad. Here you can view and change some controls. It's been a while since I messed around with it, so I'm not sure how it's changed in recent releases.

The other important thing that is often missed is that (particularly in the editor) holding the 'alt' or 'ctrl' keys will change the functions of some tools. (i.e. holding 'ctrl' allows you to place symmetry/mirror planes inside a block, holding 'alt' changes the direction of the mirror)

iStormUK

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 05:52:06 pm »
Thanks. And ooh. Your profile pic gives me an idea of a ship to build, Normandy SR-2 :D

CrazyVulcan

• Founder
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 03:00:24 pm »
A list of everything that can be done in the game would be very nice. For example it took a lot of time and frustration hitting 'F' while standing over the foot prints to get the ship moving. Only after seeing that the controls are in the .xml file did I see that I should have been pressing 'P' to pilot the ship not 'F' as the first and only instructions say. After getting that done now I can not figure out how to change my view to see where I am driving. At present I am hopping on the outside of my ship around trying to control it.

And on the .xml it only lists a dozen buttons, mostly for movement. It does not tell anyone anything about how to play the game. Any way yes there needs to be a clear since direction. Now that your game is listed on Steam for green lighting. when we try the demo and have no idea what to do in a very pretty but un-intuitive system. I paid the 10$ for the game just for the editor which is the games best feature. But if there is not a change to how the game play information is given to the player, this game will never be given the green light.

blazingsentinal

• Founder
  • Capt. Recin "Blaze" Aeron of the IUN
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 03:23:26 pm »
it's indev alpha, don't expect everything to happen in the first 5 seconds, games take a long time to make.

spartanshalo

• Founder
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 06:56:29 pm »
I agree. I just downloaded the demo and intend to buy very soon. However, I dont understand the non editior solo game at all. I see an astroid with ship parts and rocks...and figured out r is attach to things... I see a flashlight i think but is it toggle or always on? I tried applying my space enginer and starmade knowledge (limited in those games as well) but I can only sucessfully slap around. Havent tried building yet. I am in love with all these space games.   ;D
Liberty and justice for all...except for you. And you. And YOU. Your going to the box.

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 10:15:40 pm »
W51-W71 was primarily to debug the multiplayer netcode, not really to put anything particular in terms of gameplay.  There were a couple more versions intended for release before we started the multiplayer overhaul but it just didn't work out in time and so W72-W78 ended up internal-only.

When W1xx hits, Micah will definitely be doing some tutorials. ;D
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat