Author Topic: The Free Systems Confederacy  (Read 3998 times)

Sofa499

• Founder
  • A big jerk. :I
The Free Systems Confederacy
« on: August 19, 2012, 06:20:53 pm »

Free Systems Confederacy

[[tl;dr: Space rednecks, who prefer simply-constructed, function-over-form equipment and conventional guns and missiles]]

Not long after humanity had begun to stake their claim among the stars, Earth's space-faring nations quickly swarmed to the promising outer systems- those worlds once deemed too distant for humanity's reach. Most of the worlds in question barren rocks and frozen asteroids, the promise of immense mineral wealth was too tempting for them to recognize the risk in attempting to tackle such uninhabitable regions.

With the mining and colonization efforts spearheaded by titanic conglomerates sponsored by Earth governments, life in the outer systems was difficult; hard work on hostile worlds, spending decades away from anything vaguely resembling earth defined the lives of those on the colgomerates' payroll, yet thousands of workers signed up daily. With the central Earth economy in a rough patch, good work was hard to come by, and the handsome pay and hazard/ isolation benefits given to miners was often found too appetizing for many to pass up. Generations of laborers were raised under the distant stars of the outer systems, creating stable societies based from the few life-supporting worlds of the region.

When Ezakiya Boherr heavy industries was found to be peddling armaments to terrorists under the table, with investigations revealing the practice to be common among the conglomerates managing the outer systems, Earth found itself in a conundrum. The resources gathered from the outer rim were to valuable to lose to a corporate snafu, and the overburdened economy could not support governmental control of the outer systems. Thus, in an effort to persuade the conglomerates to cease their actions, heavy taxes were placed upon materials coming in from the outer systems, a move that would double to support industries closer to Earth. It wouldn't be long until the financial impact made its way to the outer systems, striking hardest those at the bottom- the workers.

The miners of the outer systems could be independent, and they knew it. However, as thoughts of revolution boiled among the heads of the populace, the conglomerates saw this as an opportunity; they had the funds and resources to supply this uprising, for the people to sever themselves from their oppressive masters on Earth, who took the food from their plates to fill the bellies of more local industries. If these corporations could be made the pillars of this new nation's industry, with exclusive rights to mining and a place to escape Earth law, they would give the rebels everything they would need.

The revolution took hardly a year. With the outer rim so distant from the Earth military, just getting troops and supplies to the field was insanely expensive. Earth abandoned the outer rim, and the miners established a nation all their own- the Free Systems Confederacy, an alliance of liberated worlds that flew beneath a single banner of justice, liberty and independence.

Though the corporations in their employ continue to violently squabble over who owns what, the rich resource wealth of the FSC's territory quickly made the Confederacy able to build its own regular military, which it used to annex a modest number of worlds, and protect its own borders from outside incursion.

Isolated from the other stellar nations, the Confederacy is noted as being xenophobic, paranoid, and easily provoked. Though their economy is thriving, their severe mistrust of other nations has made them less of a player on the galactic stage, however they are not afraid to use aggression to get their way.

As a side note, the FSC is in no way funding and supplying the Khudani nomadic raiders and using them to fight proxy-battles for them. Because that would just be silly, right?

-----------------------------------------------------

The Caracal gunship, the mainstay ground-support aircraft of the FSC Marines.

The Spearhead medium atmospheric transport and mobile surface C&C unit.

The Piranha-class corvette

The Dullahan-class frigate, accompanied by a Caracal-S.

Infanfry Exoskeleton of the FSC Marine corps.

Residential district of Outreach, capital city of the FSC.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:57:25 pm by Sofa499 »

Dwarven idiot

• Founder
Re: The Free Systems Confederacy
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 07:37:17 am »
you mind if i use this as a template to create a race/faction of my own? I kinda stuck on how to present my faction of a dwarven space clan :P
Dwarfs totaly belong in space........

Sofa499

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 01:49:29 pm »
you mind if i use this as a template to create a race/faction of my own? I kinda stuck on how to present my faction of a dwarven space clan :P

Template like how? Format or story?

And there are dwarves in space. Haven't you heard of squat-*shot*

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 02:34:38 pm »

They be 'nid munchies nao.
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
<Strait_Raider>That's like... my two favorite things.
     Put together.
     That's like... Kate Upton in a Tiger

Dwarven idiot

• Founder
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 03:13:34 pm »
duuno who they are, but in other news ive written some of the definning charcteristics about my race in general including some history and social asspects about the race.

dont suppose yall know where there is a guide for what details I should include for a new race on the forums?

built a few ships that i though where dwarfed themed, such as gaint flying axes and hammers. the only one I feel good about though is just a big ball with arms that is used for space manufacturing. what do yall think a race of subterrian tecologly blunt society would make there ships look like?

Alaric edit: merged double post
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 04:25:27 pm by Alaric »
Dwarfs totaly belong in space........

Sofa499

• Founder
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 02:11:43 pm »
duuno who they are, but in other news ive written some of the definning charcteristics about my race in general including some history and social asspects about the race.

dont suppose yall know where there is a guide for what details I should include for a new race on the forums?

built a few ships that i though where dwarfed themed, such as gaint flying axes and hammers. the only one I feel good about though is just a big ball with arms that is used for space manufacturing. what do yall think a race of subterrian tecologly blunt society would make there ships look like?

Alaric edit: merged double post

I'd guess fairly boxy and utilitarian; maybe industrial looking.

Erebus

• Founder
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 07:19:38 am »
I have to thank the Spambot for pushing that faction-thread.

Those ships not only looking very good, they also seem so "professionally" designed. They could be from a early 2000s computer game.
I cant describe it really, but they look very coherent in their appearance. They just "fit" very well together.

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 10:04:53 am »
I think it is time to kill the guest accounts. Spambots galore
"If you're in an equal fight, your tactics suck."

http://www.youtube.com/user/czorio4

Miworthian

• Founder
  • Prime Minister of Soviet Canuckistan
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 08:12:54 pm »
Man, did you just rip off Firefly with the brown coats and the outer rim planets?
"I'm sorry aboot that, eh"

Holy Thunder

• Founder
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 07:19:01 am »
Dude no. In his story Earth abandoned the Outer Rim and the Confederacy is a strong new power.

In Firefly, the Alliance repeatedly jumped up and down on the Confederacy and former browncoats are all plucky hero stereotypes--even the ones who betray Mal and almost get everybody killed.

Duh.  ::)
--Trespassers will be promptly riddled with bullets and other unpleasant projectiles.

--Survivors will treated with apologies, steak dinner, and a VIP tour of our facilities.

kaptnkrunch

• Founder
  • Full Violocity ahead. With all violence and speed.
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 01:47:54 pm »

Template like how? Format or story?

Squats are indeed dwarves in spa - BLAM! HERESY!