Author Topic: Hacking/Computer Functions  (Read 17315 times)

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
Hacking/Computer Functions
« on: September 27, 2011, 12:43:13 pm »
Here is what we have come up with so far.

Contact hacking - You come up to a console when you are in the enemy's ship and it takes time to get into it.SnowDragon/Jmanndriver

Hacking Offense/Defense skills - Software Levels (Firewall vs. Virus).

Wireless Control Hacking - Wireless vehicles controlled remotely can be hacked. (Drone ships, wireless relay stations, ect...)

Back-Up Data - You can send computer data to computers in different areas so that you don't lose all navigational data if you are destroyed. (Adds a you should save often aspect to exploring, so that if you don't there are consequences.)

Edit:
Security verification methods and counter measures.

• DNA recognition security.
  • Retena recognition security.
  • Finger print recognition security.
  • Facial recognition security.
  • Pass code security.
  • We can combine all of these together in mix and match fashion but the more you add the more expensive it becomes.

Counter measures follow accordingly such as DNA replicators, Irus replicators, and fingerprint replicators.

We can also have a few different types of each security software. Such as light scan for finger prints, infra red scan for fingerprints, and the best a gen fingerprint scal so that it can get in the grooves of the finger.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 01:49:00 pm by Jmanndriver »

"Quotes at the bottom of signatures are pointless. Just like this one."

- Unknown

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
Re: Hacking/Computer Functions
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 01:14:01 pm »
Why don't we just get a block that is a 'computer core' The more of these things you put together the better your computer is. There's no need to ruin the game with a redstone look-a-like.

Kron

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 01:23:57 pm »
Gotcha, deleted my thread.

I dislike having one computer core and I dislike redstone. Redstone is super overcomplicated to use in my opinion, but a single computer core leads to ships with single points of failure and also makes ships harder to hack.

I say we space out multiple cores somehow. Have cores take time to send data to far away blocks, forcing players to place targetting computers near turrets, vectoring computers near thrusters, etc.

Anyway, I think we should list out different systems that computers can take information from (sensors) and or affect (motors).

Sensors:

* Entity sensors.
These sensors will be placed on the outer hull of ships, and can be used to triangulate the location of other ships or asteroids. It can provide position data, and maybe simple aggregate stats like tonnage, composition, etc.

* Motion/Heat sensors.
These sensors can triangulate the locations and IDs of players in their area of effect. It lets the ship's computer know things like how many people are on board it.

* Pressure sensors.
These sensors will let computers figure out if an area has air or is vacuum. This should let shipboard AIs blare warnings when it detects hull breaches and the like (rapidly decreasing air pressure).

Motors:

* Gun turrets.
Self-explanatory.

* Bulkheads.
Ship computers should be able to seal doors. Stack two bulkheads with an air pump and slap a rudimentary computer on them and you get an airlock. Which reminds me...

* Air pumps.
Self-explanatory.

* Lights.
Ditto.

Any other ideas for sensors / motors?

Kron

• Founder
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 03:21:17 pm »
I'm thinking the fundamental element of computing should be the "datacore block".

It's a simple block of computational substrate with it's own memory cells. You can wire any sensor or motor to it and it can interact with it (more on this later).

If you stack computational blocks together, they connect and become a bigger computer with increased processing power and memory space. Think about how you can place two chest blocks near each other to make an expanded chest in Minecraft.

If a player places a computational block near various devices, the datacore will intialize with a simple program that operates that block. This is for newbies. Place a datacore next to a turret and sensor to make it automatically fire at your enemies, etc.

If a player right clicks on a block while holding the right tools in his hand (a datapad?) or while wearing the right armor (nanosuits or something), she will interface with the block. You'll see a little text box with some basic code on it, and you can rewrite it or copy blocks of text from your datapad or suit into it.

Obviously, the code will be written in an extremely simple scripting language.

Thoughts? My current model has one big problem with it: I have no idea as to how to differentiate all the various sensors and motors that are wired into the blocks.

Zerebo

• Super Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 03:33:11 pm »
Please no ingame scripting for just remotely important stuff..
95% of people won't even touch that.
Computers should just be stuff you need to build for some systems to work. You place one somewhere, connect it to the rest of the ship and done. (Upgrades likes firewalls to slow down hackers and stuff like that would be cool though).

Everything the computer is controling should be easy to adjust by a nice UI with options sliders and dropboxes.

Kron

• Founder
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 03:37:58 pm »
Computers should just be stuff you need to build for some systems to work. You place one somewhere, connect it to the rest of the ship and done. (Upgrades likes firewalls to slow down hackers and stuff like that would be cool though).

Everything the computer is controling should be easy to adjust by a nice UI with options sliders and dropboxes.

Yeah I know what you're getting at. I'm trying to see if it would be possible to include all the needs of the 95% in the "default programs" thing. I also understand how important it is to keep the game user friendly for most players.

For example: If the computer detects that it is connected to a helm and various engines, it should automatically program itself to be a navcomputer that autobalances the ship and turns WSAD at the helm into ship movement.

If the computer is connected to a single pressure sensor and a bulkhead, it should automatically seal the bulkhead when it detects a loss of pressure.

Etc. etc.

I'm hoping most players will never have to right click on a computer block and ever look at the writing inside.

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 03:38:12 pm »

Yes, I agree that things should be kept simplistic. We should only be allowed to pit our systems against theirs in such a way that it comes down to who has the more powerful computer system.

An example would be a ship with more computing power is attacking a ship with less computing power. Even though it has less it should take a longer time to hack into it because of its fire wall, which takes time to get through.

The dev's could easily write an algorithm for this. N= #of computers, F= strength of firewall, C = strength of hacking ability. just some of the variables that would be involved.

- Unknown

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 03:43:19 pm »
It hurts me to see such little understanding of how computers and networking actually... well, work haha. Just because it's a computer doesn't mean it's hackable. There has to be something to *hack* in the first place. You can't hack my terminal if it's not plugged into a network or otherwise lacks external access, like all military ships would be. And before you go running off about hacking the comms to hack the computer, great, you hacked into an isolated communications system. All the files would be encrypted, have fun :P

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 03:47:36 pm »

Yeah I know what you're getting at. I'm trying to see if it would be possible to include all the needs of the 95% in the "default programs" thing. I also understand how important it is to keep the game user friendly for most players.

For example: If the computer detects that it is connected to a helm and various engines, it should automatically program itself to be a navcomputer that autobalances the ship and turns WSAD at the helm into ship movement.

If the computer is connected to a single pressure sensor and a bulkhead, it should automatically seal the bulkhead when it detects a loss of pressure.

Etc. etc.

I'm hoping most players will never have to right click on a computer block and ever look at the writing inside.

So basically, computer blocks interpret where they are placed to determine which bits of code to grab and players may then peek into the game's coding and fiddle with the dev team's own script to make that particular com-block better or more versatile?
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Kron

• Founder
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 03:49:02 pm »
Cy83r: Exactly. More versatile, or more specialized. Maybe you want to reprogram your ship to NOT use all its thrusters, to bluff your enemy into thinking you're slow... or something!

Also when it comes to hacking, I'm with SnowDragon. I dislike arbitrary hacking. Not only is it unrealistic, it's unfun.

What's more fun are ICE weapons: devices that can reprogram computers instantly as soon as your right click on the block. Or maybe EMP weaponry that just erases the code.

Imagine sending in a marine team into a large capital ship, whose objective is to find the main computer room and shut it down!

All hacking should be... in person, or something like that. We should consequently find ways to encourage distributed computing to allow more avenues for hackers to insert their way into large systems.

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 03:50:40 pm »
It hurts me to see such little understanding of how computers and networking actually... well, work haha. Just because it's a computer doesn't mean it's hackable. There has to be something to *hack* in the first place. You can't hack my terminal if it's not plugged into a network or otherwise lacks external access, like all military ships would be. And before you go running off about hacking the comms to hack the computer, great, you hacked into an isolated communications system. All the files would be encrypted, have fun :P

I think I mentions having a closed network on the post this was originally in. Wireless would be for functions that weren't as important.

- Unknown

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 03:53:32 pm »
The whole 'I'mma gonna hackup your ship bitch' idea is a bad one, no offence. It just can't be done and it's unfair as f*ck.

But what Kron suggested is a reasonable alternative. Just ruin their day with an EMp set off at the computer core.

Kron

• Founder
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 03:54:22 pm »
Ooh! Maybe wireless would be a way to fix the distinction problem I was having.

There are two kinds of wireless data transfer: long range and short range. Short range communications only travels to adjacent blocks while long range communications transmits to all blocks in a wide area.

So you can wire separate inputs and outputs to a computer and each wire has its own 'frequency', with the wire tips broadcasting to the device and the computer only (short range). This means the computer will be able to distinguish various inputs and outputs by their frequencies.

Er...

Long story short: We assign each wire a number. Computers can pull information from wires or send information to wires by using those numbers.

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 03:54:49 pm »
You can pay more to make your equipment EMP resistant and it would use more power as well. Sounds more balanced than hacking.

I officially vote NO for hacking fyi. I think the EMP tactic balances it out better.

- Unknown

Kron

• Founder
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 03:55:56 pm »
You can pay more to make your equipment EMP resistant and it would use more power as well. Sounds more balanced than hacking.

I officially vote NO for hacking fyi. I think the EMP tactic balances it out better.

I vote NO network hacking but YES contact-hacking. If you can get a hacker to physically sit at a computer block, he can just right click it and rewrite the code!

In general though, EMP weapons sound like a more fun idea. :D