Author Topic: Has my character become near-sighted?  (Read 3359 times)

mamastoast

• Founder
Has my character become near-sighted?
« on: July 21, 2012, 07:45:37 pm »
I'm not exactly sure when this change happened as I've been using a slightly outdated version uptill this newest update. Anyway, I'm noticing that things blur out a whole lot when at a distance from the camera. I assume this is what the devs were talking about earlier to make textures work better when seen far away, however I really do think this is an overkill.

Again I may just be imagining things here, but I really feel as if I'm playing as a near sighted character :P

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
Re: Has my character become near-sighted?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 09:09:37 pm »
try toggling the mipmaps in teh options menu and see if that helps.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 07:56:22 pm »
I like it. Seeing all that frikken plate detail at a hundred metres out makes ship outsides look like they've been painted by an artist for all those curves

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 08:54:45 pm »
100 meters, sure, but I'm talking a visible change at a 7-8 meters

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 09:31:00 pm »
screenie?.... Also I remember some one else having this issue a while back
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 01:19:57 pm »
Okay so here's with mipmapping on:

And here's without:

Notice the blurring at just a few blocks distance. Oh and also note the completely strange way the interior texture has decided to act.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:23:15 pm by mamastoast »

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 07:49:14 pm »
what was your rotational orientation when placing the interior texture? (although you may have intended it to look like this) however the strange placement is because they have disabled the "smart" placement of the texture and is now just randomly choosing a a quadrant of the texture.

The blurring is the Mip-mapping (obviously) in is current state it begins to change the resolution of the textures a little too early, mip-mapping; I expect, will be receiving an overhaul at some point, most likely when we really start getting ships and various objects floating around in a persistent world of sorts (aka some form of game-play)

Needless to say there is no need to panic.
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 08:28:48 pm »
oh sure :P wasn't really worrying as such. Originally I thought I was going crazym just wanted to check if other people agreed that the current state of the blurring is quite a bit too much

VengantMjolnir

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 01:24:46 pm »
This looks like a lack of anisotropic filtering to be honest. To me it looks like the surfaces that are facing the camera have less of a blur to them than surfaces running parallel to the view. Does BlockadeRunner have a setting for adjusting anisotropic levels? Depending on if your card allows it, you could set the driver settings to override the application and see if that makes a difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropic_filtering

[ZanMgt]Gabriel

• BR Developer
  • Lord Ruler, Gamer, Programmer, Spy
    • www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 02:20:41 pm »
There are a lot of graphical enhancements we plan on doing. Anisotropic Filtering is one of them.
"a programmer is an intermediary that converts sugar and caffeine into code"

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 11:58:11 pm »
This looks like a lack of anisotropic filtering to be honest. To me it looks like the surfaces that are facing the camera have less of a blur to them than surfaces running parallel to the view. Does BlockadeRunner have a setting for adjusting anisotropic levels? Depending on if your card allows it, you could set the driver settings to override the application and see if that makes a difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropic_filtering

If you look closely at the door and other adjacent items you can see they are also blurred, indicating it is mipmapping, however that blurring on an oblique angle (quite considerably more then the parallel items) is due to lack of anistrophic filtering.