Author Topic: Community Weapon Write Up List  (Read 80954 times)

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
Community Weapon Write Up List
« on: September 27, 2011, 02:06:32 am »
This isn't a list for weapons that are in the game yet. This is a list of weapons that community members have thought up, read in books, or gotten from various other locations.

Post your ideas for weapons and I will compile/sort them into an easy to navigate list.

Personal Weapons:
  • Plasma
    • Plasma Blaster. (Heavy pistol, strong stats but expensive and relatively inaccurate, prone to overheating.)
    • Plasma Rifle: (Basically a longer plasma blaster with a higher rate of fire. Very powerful at short to mid range.
  • Chemical/Electo-Magnetic
    • Sidearm. (Basic slugthrower pistol, mediocre stats but really high availability)
    • PDW. (Compact carbine/SMG with about the same round damage as the Sidearm, but high rate of fire, high ammo capacity. Basic mid-range weapon
    • Gauss Pistol. (Low-ish rate of fire, but higher power and accuracy than Sidearm. EM propulsion)
    • Gauss Rifle. (Semiautomatic, high power and accuracy. EM propulsion. Basic Marksman/sniper weapon)
    • Pulse Rifle. (Heavy assault rifle, very powerful. Uses both chemical propellant and EM coil acceleration to make bullets hit -really- hard.)
    • Rail Rifle (Heavy EM sniper rifle. Extremely powerful and accurate, but very low rate of fire.)
    • Sabot Gun:It is shot out of the gun and then the rocket engages to go even faster. It can be guided to a target either by passive heat-signature lock on, or laser-guided to their target by the firer.
  • Energy
    • Laser pistol. (Weak damage, but continuous-fire and perfectly accurate. Only uses Energy. Has overheat/cooldown cycles to balance ROF.
    • Laser Rifle. (Larger, stronger, more energy-draining version of the Laser pistol.)
    • Pulse Laser. (Laser sniper weapon. Fires short but powerful 0.5-1.5 second laser pulse. Perfect accuracy, moderate/high damage.)
    • Tesla Gun (Fires bolts of electricity or forked cones of lightning. Quite short ranged, mediocre damage, but has a stun/emp effect.)
    • Magnetic Repulsion Beam (Fires a beam of alternately positive and negative charged particles, the particles embed themselves in the hull plating, and the strong magnetic forces create stress on the hull. eventually the hull plates weaken and evetually break.)
    • Phase Missile A micro scaled phase drive strapped to a rocket, it is capable of using its drive to punch into phase space for a fraction of a second, completely bypassing a enemy ships shields. However, this functionality and effectiveness doesn't come without a cost: the phase missile is highly expensive, and due to its size, it cannot carry a very large payload. however, many ship engineers have modified these missiles with advanced software, allowing them to home in on a ships power core through heat sensors, the missile can then punch into phase space a second time, allowing it to bypass the hull entirely.

Ship Weapons:
  • Particle
    • Highly charged particles are projected from these weapons that deal a great amount of damage to armor.
    • Weapon Write Ups:
      • [Phased Cannon] - The Phased Cannon requires a large amount of energy to fire; It Can fire multiple times if it is given time to cool down and if the ship has enough stored energy.Vorga
      • [COIL array] - Short for Chemical oxygen iodine laser, this weapon consists of a large mirror array and a chemical battery capable of creating a powerful beam that can raise metal to temperatures of 3000 degrees C in a matter of seconds, breaching enemy hulls as they collapse under the pressure as the structure melts apart.SnowDragon
      • [MIRV Torpedoes] - An otherwise standard 500mm torpedo launcher is loaded with a MIRV torpedo with 6 separate warheads, each one carrying a 2 kilo-tonne charge. When the torpedo reaches a certain distance from an enemy ship the warheads breaks apart and target sections of the ship before impacting.SnowDragon
Doomsday Weapon:
  • Dr. Device - It shoots a beam of enery at matter which then will destabilize it and it will disintegrate into dust. Any other matter within range of the the wave after it is destroyed will also disintegrate.

These are all basic descriptions set up as examples. We can assume that all the personal weapons for instance can be built into handguns, rifles, and many other types of guns. If you wish to include a write up of a specific build on a gun please do. I will incorporate it into the post as a 3rd bulleted out entry.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 01:57:29 am by Jmanndriver »

"Quotes at the bottom of signatures are pointless. Just like this one."

- Unknown

Jenvo

• Founder
  • Oh, don't mind me...
    • Steam Profile
Re: Community Weapon Write Up List
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 02:10:49 am »
This isn't a list for weapons that are in the game yet. This is a list of weapons that community members have thought up, read in books, or gotten from various other locations.

Post your ideas for weapons and I will compile/sort them into an easy to navigate list.

Personal Weapons:
  • Plasma
    • Magnetically encapsulated plasma projectile.
    • Weapon Write Ups:
      • Example.
  • Chemical
    • Chemical reaction causing gas to expand and expel a projectile at high velocity.
    • Weapon Write Ups:
      • Example.
  • Energy
    • A battery charges a capacitor which then releases energy at varying levels determined by user.
    • Weapon Write Ups:
      • Example.

Ship Weapons:

Doomsday Weapon:

These are all basic descriptions set up as examples. We can assume that all the personal weapons for instance can be built into handguns, rifles, and many other types of guns. If you wish to include a write up of a specific build on a gun please do. I will incorporate it into the post as a 3rd bulleted out entry.

Would be funny to add in an admin gun. Besides that, if there were any good and "balanced" way to add doomsday weapons in here I would be soooo stoked. Rofl.

Too tired to add to this right now

EliteASH_11

• Founder
  • Competition starter.
    • Steam
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 03:06:02 am »
Doomsday Weapons: Nova bomb...I suggest finding it on the halo wiki if you don't know about it.
"That MAC gun can put a round clean through a Covenant Capital Ship."

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 03:50:52 am »
Ship Weapon / Heavy class / Primary Weapon | DoomsDay???

[Phased Cannon]
The Phased Cannon is a powerful Beam Weapon that requires large amount of energy to fire, it Can be fire multiple times if it is limited in number and the ship has enough stored energy, but there is still a cooldown required due to the ship barrels heating up.

[Phased Cannon Array]
The Phased Cannon Array is simply multiple Phased Cannons set to fire simulantously
The Ship is Usually Built around the Weapon, making it the almost only weapon on the ship, It Requires an Unprecidented amount of energy stored within Enormous Capacitors and requires and significant amount of time to charge, It emits Several Long Range Powerfull beams of energy, coloured a Strong firey yellow.

The Beam/s Will last as long as there is energy or to the point the ship takes damage. but requires time to exert its maximum power, esentially making short bursts obselete.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 03:52:42 am by Vorgra »
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 08:26:21 am »
Some things I'd *love* to have.

COIL array.
Short for Chemical oxygen iodine laser, this weapon consists of a large mirror array and a chemical battery capable of creating a powerful beam that can raise metal to tempuratures of 3000 degrees C in a matter of seconds, breaching enemy hulls as they collapse under the pressure as the structure melts apart.

MIRV Torpedoes.
An otherwise standard 500mm torpedo launcher is loaded with a MIRV torpedo with 6 seperate warheads, each one carrying a 2 kilotonne charge. When the torpedo reaches a certain distance from an enemy ship the warheads break up from the casing and cover the enemy ship in high yeild nuclear detonations.

EliteASH_11

• Founder
  • Competition starter.
    • Steam
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 08:41:23 am »
I would love if the devs got some inspiration for weapon types from http://www.halopedian.com/Category:Starship_Weapons

And as I mentioned before the NOVA bomb: http://www.halopedian.com/Nova_bomb
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:55:42 am by EliteASH_11 »

Rainman

• Founder
  • Loremaster
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 08:52:46 am »
Railguns. No sci-fi setting is complete without railguns, especially if you can squeeze in everything from massive railcannons to Stargate-style gatling turrets to infantry held railrifles.

Particle beams, perhaps? Would operate similarly to a laser, but have significantly greater damage output, energy requirements, and cooldown times.
SCIENCE!
...IN SPAAAAAAAACE!

LordJebe

• Spacer
  • Made of 100% Perkele
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 10:34:52 am »
Railguns. No sci-fi setting is complete without railguns
Ditto this.
Railguns are awesome. My english ain't.

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 10:56:59 am »
I would love if the devs got some inspiration for weapon types from http://www.halopedian.com/Category:Starship_Weapons

I might have time to sift through this and start putting stuff up later but I doubt it. Please give me a write up of a few weapons that you like so I can add them.

Also whoever wanted rail guns write that up so I can throw it up.

"Quotes at the bottom of signatures are pointless. Just like this one."

- Unknown

EliteASH_11

• Founder
  • Competition starter.
    • Steam
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 11:00:47 am »

I might have time to sift through this and start putting stuff up later but I doubt it. Please give me a write up of a few weapons that you like so I can add them.

Also whoever wanted rail guns write that up so I can throw it up.

Will do but im a rather busy interneter :P

Kron

• Founder
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 11:58:04 am »
Particle beams, perhaps? Would operate similarly to a laser, but have significantly greater damage output, energy requirements, and cooldown times.

I like the idea of particle beams, but I think they need to be differentiated more than just making them powerful lasers.

How about making lasers weak to reflective armor (lasers bounce off) but particle beams don't? And particle beams can be weak in atmospheres / oxygenated environments due to dispersal?

Rainman

• Founder
  • Loremaster
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 12:05:22 pm »
Makes more than just a bit of sense. ;)

Hmm... What about electrolasers and tesla cannons? Everyone loves frying enemies with lightning bolts, especially if it has an attached EMP effect.
SCIENCE!
...IN SPAAAAAAAACE!

Kron

• Founder
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 12:07:44 pm »
Hmm... What about electrolasers and tesla cannons? Everyone loves frying enemies with lightning bolts, especially if it has an attached EMP effect.

Normally I'd say that such weapons may be too niche, but Star Wars and Star Trek both have rather famous "stun" systems (setting blasters and phasers to stun)...
How about a stun mode for particle weapons? It's basically a particle weapon anyway, it just shoots electrons instead of high energy particles.

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 12:07:58 pm »
Railguns. No sci-fi setting is complete without railguns, especially if you can squeeze in everything from massive railcannons to Stargate-style gatling turrets to infantry held railrifles.

Large-scale coilguns (maglev-type accelerators) for launching whole blocks (gold bullets?), missiles/torpedoes, and small craft is another essential.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 12:33:51 pm »

I like the idea of particle beams, but I think they need to be differentiated more than just making them powerful lasers.

How about making lasers weak to reflective armor (lasers bounce off) but particle beams don't? And particle beams can be weak in atmospheres / oxygenated environments due to dispersal?

Particle beams: Require vast amounts of energy and a supply of Particles
Lasers: Require vast amounts of energy

My ideas:

Lasers/Particle Beams/Beam Weapons in general:
Require an emitter (which can be configured with some throw-away item like a "crystal" for different purposes/colors), capacitor banks, a configuration/targeting computer (could be slaved to other targeting computers), and a focusing lens (which can be turreted or fixed). More capacitors = more potential output or longer output. More lenses = larger potential output, supposing you have enough capacitors. Particle beams might also add a particle injection system. Fire continuous beams ala Star Trek or any real-life laser - the continuous beams can be short in duration, however (turn the laser pointer on and then off really fast). Generates heat damage on a point - the opponent can spin their ship to prevent damage if their armor can withstand the initial contact; though eventually the heat that is not radiated off will breach all the blocks it's in contact with.

Blasters:
Similar to how they are now; using a blaster-emitter, perhaps accelerators/focusing coils, targeting system, and capacitor/battery banks. Fire short bursts ala Star Wars. Damages via small-scale explosion at point of impact. Can be mitigated by "wiffle shield" - a thin layer of something (aluminum, steel, titanium foil, whatever really) that's got vacuum separating it from the rest of the ship. The blast hits (and destoys) the wiffle block, but does not penetrate to the main ship. Regular (continuous) lasers eat right through the wiffle shield.

Solid-state projectiles (magnetically or chemically launched):
Magnetic rails (possibly also for use as accelerators for blasters) or chemical launchers (perhaps re-purposed thrusters? a launching sled?), targeting system, capacitors, projectiles & loading system - possibly player-built loading; though torpedoes and missiles would need to be blocks or entities. Damage by kenitic impact- getting up toward the speed of light will cause a projectile to have much more energy than any explosive known to man (including Anti-matter/matter reactions). Wiffle shields help here as well, though a larger projectile will penetrate and smash the ship; vent the atmosphere, and possibly cause shock-waves that wreck an unshielded hull. The main problem is that these are the slowest and most difficult to aim of the weapons mentioned, and thus are much less likely to make impact.

Your Main Engine:
Since you've loaded a massive, likely atomic, reactor onto your ship and are using it to propel a vessel in the thousands of tons, it's very likely your main engine is the biggest and best weapon you've got. Maybe not long range, but should be devastating to get caught in the many thousands of degrees of backwash you're putting out at nearly the speed of light. Especially on large/massive ships. Unless you're some sissy-space-sailor who plans on using a solar-sail to get anywhere - then you've just got to unfurl a massive wiffle-sheild whenever you want to travel and hope that nobody blows the connection points off.

As for stunning; either blasters or lasers (or perhaps launched explosives) would be able to be set to an "ionize" mode, which incapacitates another ships' electrical systems with ionized particles.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.