Today im going to be showing you how to Voxelize models, now i know this has already been done but I'm going to show you how to do it in the 3D modelling program that I use, Blender.
1) Ok first things first, we need to load up blender and the model we want to voxelize. For this demonstration I'm going to use the concept model i made for my Falchion-class battlecruiser.
2) Once we have our model loaded up we want to add two modifiers, first we will add the Armature modifier, and then the Remesh modifier:
they must be arranged like in the picture below with the Armature modifier above the Remesh modifier.
3) Next we want to change the Remesh mode to "Blocks":
If done correctly it will voxelize the model, like this:
Of course the model like this is useless, so we need to change the octree dept to get more detail, i find somewhere between 6 and 9 works best depending on the complexity of the model. I'm going to use 8.
Which makes the model look like this:
4) Finally to get the voxels onto the model press "Apply" on the Remesh modifiers tab:
5) Now we just need to press tab on our keyboard to go into edit mode, this will let us see each individual voxel.
6) Thats it! Were done! If you followed the steps directly your model should now look like this: