Author Topic: Voxelizing in Blender (Step by step with pictures)  (Read 18650 times)

blazingsentinal

• Founder
  • Capt. Recin "Blaze" Aeron of the IUN
Voxelizing in Blender (Step by step with pictures)
« on: July 02, 2012, 03:48:29 pm »
Today im going to be showing you how to Voxelize models, now i know this has already been done but I'm going to show you how to do it in the 3D modelling program that I use, Blender.

1) Ok first things first, we need to load up blender and the model we want to voxelize. For this demonstration I'm going to use the concept model i made for my Falchion-class battlecruiser.

2) Once we have our model loaded up we want to add two modifiers, first we will add the Armature modifier, and then the Remesh modifier:

they must be arranged like in the picture below with the Armature modifier above the Remesh modifier.

3) Next we want to change the Remesh mode to "Blocks":

If done correctly it will voxelize the model, like this:

Of course the model like this is useless, so we need to change the octree dept to get more detail, i find somewhere between 6 and 9 works best depending on the complexity of the model. I'm going to use 8.

Which makes the model look like this:

Much better!

4) Finally to get the voxels onto the model press "Apply" on the Remesh modifiers tab:

5) Now we just need to press tab on our keyboard to go into edit mode, this will let us see each individual voxel.

6) Thats it! Were done! If you followed the steps directly your model should now look like this:

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
Re: Voxelizing in Blender (Step by step with pictures)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 07:54:58 pm »
This probably performs better and produces better results than Sketch-up
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

TarotDragoon

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 08:55:51 am »
does look like it returns more clear results. I wonder if this can be done in 3DS Max.
Micah- Loving all the ships here Tarot!

PURPLE UNTO DEATH!!! (or maybe blue)

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 09:25:02 pm »
Ill check
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

Voltaire

• Founder
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 04:42:36 am »
Awesome Idea! Awesome Tutorial! And all in an awesome FREE 3D tool!

Don't forget to donate!

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 06:46:31 pm »
I'm obviously way late to the party on this one, but that is definitely a much better way than trying to do it in sketchup. Blender is much more powerful when it comes to geometry manipulation and creation.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Haknoes

• Founder
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 05:15:33 pm »
I'm a bit curious about this process, are you just doing it as a reference for building in BR, or is there some way to then convert these models into .BRD?

[ZanMgt]Gabriel

• BR Developer
  • Lord Ruler, Gamer, Programmer, Spy
    • www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 11:03:28 am »
It is possible to convert models into a Blockade Runner Ship, and it is possible to convert a Blockade Runner Ship into a model. However this is fairly time intensive and is not priority for now, but it will happen eventually.
"a programmer is an intermediary that converts sugar and caffeine into code"

Haknoes

• Founder
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 06:44:35 pm »
Wow, thanks for the quick answer.

Good to know that we'll have that kind of power eventually, that'll be really cool.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if anybody has been using this technique to build something in BR. I've been tinkering with it lately and the method that seems to be working for me is setting a long, thin horizontal clipping border and then translating the model through that layer a bit at a time. (like an MRI, almost) I've just been building a layer at a time that way.

Anybody else have thoughts on a good way to use these voxelized models to build from? I'm a pretty big Blender noob, so for all I know there is an easier way to do it.

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 06:53:15 pm »
Yes I have been using this technic and helping set it up for other people to do their ships, I also build it like an MRI or 3D printer.     Needless to say I have built some difficult ships this way.

Vininator

• Founder
  • Owner of Galactic Munitions Inc... and a cool guy.
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 11:30:26 pm »
I'll give this a try for the Rokh! Is there an option to overlay a grid on the model to make the voxels easier to see?

EDIT: Also, can you set the model to be a certain scale? for example I already know the Rokh has to be 1007 blocks long. Is there a way to scale it to that?

EDIT 2: Also, Blender is a lot harder to use than I thought and I have no idea how to do any of this.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:51:14 pm by Vininator »

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 11:37:30 am »
I'll give this a try for the Rokh! Is there an option to overlay a grid on the model to make the voxels easier to see?

EDIT: Also, can you set the model to be a certain scale? for example I already know the Rokh has to be 1007 blocks long. Is there a way to scale it to that?

EDIT 2: Also, Blender is a lot harder to use than I thought and I have no idea how to do any of this.

Blender is ... a little tough; but frankly, I found it easier than Maya. This tutorial is pretty straight-forward though, I'm not sure much can be done to simplify it beyond "here's how you click" (which is backwards from most other programs I use IIRC). I remember there is a (annoying for me, I'm used to working with all the geometry directly) switch for working with different geometry types - lines, points, faces, and objects.

Scale doesn't mean much in Blender; 1 is 1 arbitrary unit. I suspect scaling your model by 1007 and then playing with the settings on the voxelize deal would give you approximate results, but I don't know since I haven't played with this setup.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 04:21:58 pm »
Recently needed to do this for a project I'm working on and I came up with some additional helpful steps:

The modifier panel is on the right hand side of the default layout, the button to bring it up looks like a wrench. That panel defaults to the render panel (click the wrench instead of the camera to bring up the modifications panel).

Baking and then adding a Decimate modifier on top of that should reduce geometry enough to allow the model to be opened in other modeling programs (i.e.: Sketchup). I believe Collada works best for exporting to sketchup, but I've forgotten exactly which format I used.

I did this to voxelize the +\- 500 meter long UNSC Frigate Savannah from Halo (Human frigates in Halo are among my favorite star-ships in fiction for some reason), which I am currently building in Starmade (I'll post picts when the hull is finished, so far it's going pretty well and has only taken ~4 hours; I estimate another 8 or so to hull completion).

I know who you are.

You are destiny.