Author Topic: FTL travel methods  (Read 26398 times)

Xavierman117

• Founder
  • That one guy, you know, that one.
Re: FTL travel methods
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2011, 05:53:10 pm »
good post, but we need more cons! and BTW one con for phase drives are, they are limited to "phases lanes" for safety. this could be said for all of the "non teleporting ones" wheras those that teleport use massive energy, and they are very, VERY big systems. as opposed to the "travelling ones" which will be cheaper, smaller but ultimately, slower. and faster ones should use more energy.

The problem with the list I wrote is that, in addition the the phase lanes for phase drives, I could add hyperlanes, blink lanes, jump lanes, and any similar system would work exactly the same way. We don't need that many drives, we need to decide how the 1 or 2 really different drive systems would work, and then just use those + hypergates/wormholes (which are pretty well agreed upon, it seems).

i whole heartedly agree. how about we stay away from the ones that seem overly complicated like blink, and stay with the classic sci-fi ones, like hyperdrive and phase. in reality, these sci fi universes only HAVE one form of FTL, and often the tech is built around that. so maybe we should only have one kind of FTL + Gates.
Meh.

Zerebo

• Super Moderator
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2011, 09:15:23 pm »
I vote for Hyper Drives and Gates. Should be enough and are easy to implement.
Every FTL that uses a "real dimension" where you fly or any that makes your ship visible while flying with FTL will be very hard to get into the game.
Just load your engine and you are instant there. This way people won't be bored.

Rainman

• Founder
  • Loremaster
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2011, 09:21:32 pm »
...which is why you give the -option- of both direct and "scenic" hyperdrives, so that people have a choice.

I would rather enjoy the chance at scenic FTL travel, and I'm not the only one. Including the option that makes me happy doesn't preclude the option that makes you happy, so why cut it out?
SCIENCE!
...IN SPAAAAAAAACE!

[ZanMgt]Gabriel

• BR Developer
  • Lord Ruler, Gamer, Programmer, Spy
    • www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2011, 09:25:37 pm »
There will be multiple forms of FTL. "Gates" and "Hyper Drives" are among them
"a programmer is an intermediary that converts sugar and caffeine into code"

Xavierman117

• Founder
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2011, 09:25:53 pm »
I vote for Hyper Drives and Gates. Should be enough and are easy to implement.
Every FTL that uses a "real dimension" where you fly or any that makes your ship visible while flying with FTL will be very hard to get into the game.
Just load your engine and you are instant there. This way people won't be bored.
phase space would be safer, the idea of hyperdrives are that you are just going really fast. (what if you hit something) where opposed to phase space (the name would be changed of course) which it is another dimension (sort of). i support gates though; they should be instantaneous but expensive as hell to set up, with massive power usage, so that facilitys must be buil to run them, making them important strategic targets.
Meh.

Zerebo

• Super Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2011, 09:59:13 pm »
I just said what I think would be easiest to implement into the game.
Scenic hyperdrive doesn't add much to the game but is much work to integrate. Sure for the long term it would be a good addition but I think it has time.

Rainman

• Founder
  • Loremaster
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2011, 10:54:39 pm »
Good point, I hadn't really been considering it that way.

So yeah, for R1 sticking to instantaneous hyperdrive and gates definately makes the most sense.
SCIENCE!
...IN SPAAAAAAAACE!

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2011, 01:29:04 am »
Des have the specifics they want. If we can't come up with something different I think this is done.

"Quotes at the bottom of signatures are pointless. Just like this one."

- Unknown

Tensing

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2011, 04:37:27 am »
Hey all, couldn't resist chipping in on this  :)

I like the idea of the 'nether' type hyperspace - and even more so the idea of layers with different speeds possible.

How about making it a risk/reward type scenario?

Each layer of hyperspace could have an inherent danger of collision with entities inside that area of space, or as has been discussed previously, 'gravity shadows' of real space entities. Navigation through these objects could require piloting skill - more for each level with the positive effect of greater speed possible.

More speed/more risk, a decent payoff. With the added bonus of adding interactivity and skill to a mundane trip.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2011, 12:40:46 pm »
How about making it a risk/reward type scenario?

Each layer of hyperspace could have an inherent danger of collision with entities inside that area of space, or as has been discussed previously, 'gravity shadows' of real space entities. Navigation through these objects could require piloting skill - more for each level with the positive effect of greater speed possible.

More speed/more risk, a decent payoff. With the added bonus of adding interactivity and skill to a mundane trip.

I like the layer idea as well as the instant idea (and gates,etc.) - people who have greater skill can travel through the other space, spending real time doing so, and needs to avoid the objects there. I'd leave the scale 1:1 with normal space, just make ships move with insane speed and make it so you can't stop/slow down. Different layers = more speed, but also = more risk of collision. The risk wouldn't be that high, since objects would be spread out, but still there. You could indicate mass shadows (and the layers) by brightly glowing masses and the color could shift for each layer deeper you go.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Kron

• Founder
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2011, 12:47:52 pm »
Hmmm, how about something a bit crazier than all this?

Needlecasting
This form of hyperspatial travel is copied directly from the Altered Carbon / Broken Angels / Woken Furies trilogy. In this setting, humanity doesn't have the technology to send matter or energy to a destination at faster-than-light transmit time.

However, they do have the technology to send information at FTL speeds. Needlecasting.

Characters don't physically travel to their destination. Instead they upload their minds into a computer system, needlecast the file to a destination computer, and then download themselves into a new body.

Xavierman117

• Founder
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2011, 10:14:42 pm »
i would hate an FTL system that could easily kill me. like the gravity shadows one. but in relation to the "load drive and instantly there" remark, i Personally think, that it would feel a little better if you had to wait a little, even if only for 10 seconds. it would feel awesome if your helmsman said "coming out of FTL, sir."
Meh.

Halcyon551

• Spacer
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2011, 04:22:41 pm »
Uhh, why not combine the multi-layered nether idea with wormholes and jumpgates?

My idea is this: There are 3 layers of this warped dimension zone of speed travel, the first layer can only be accessed by naturally found wormholes or artificial wormhole (or jumpgates) where you can speed travel in. The next layer can only be accessed by natural, yet rarer wormholes and when in the 2nd layer, rarer wormholes to the 3rd. While in this dimension you need a shield/shell that will protect you from the elements of the harmful nature of the dimension. In other words, a region where physical things can exists. Shields can merge between 2 ships, creating a larger shield. This can also initiate an attack. THAT SAID, we can also have specialized warp missiles that has their own little shield so they may traverse the field into another warp bubble to attack the ship inhabiting it.

This form of travel shall be the fastest in order to make it very important in the game. The importance will arise strategic points in this warp space, making battles near wormholes/jumpgates very decisive.
Well, now I am thinking of it, might as well have certain regions inaccessible unless you enter that general region via 2nd or 3rd region, like traveling to one quadrant of the galaxy then to a certain region then to the specific star cluster. From there you can FTL drive your way to your desired star system.
A bit heavy system idea but workable.

Xavierman117

• Founder
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2011, 04:59:34 am »
Uhh, why not combine the multi-layered nether idea with wormholes and jumpgates?

My idea is this: There are 3 layers of this warped dimension zone of speed travel, the first layer can only be accessed by naturally found wormholes or artificial wormhole (or jumpgates) where you can speed travel in. The next layer can only be accessed by natural, yet rarer wormholes and when in the 2nd layer, rarer wormholes to the 3rd. While in this dimension you need a shield/shell that will protect you from the elements of the harmful nature of the dimension. In other words, a region where physical things can exists. Shields can merge between 2 ships, creating a larger shield. This can also initiate an attack. THAT SAID, we can also have specialized warp missiles that has their own little shield so they may traverse the field into another warp bubble to attack the ship inhabiting it.

This form of travel shall be the fastest in order to make it very important in the game. The importance will arise strategic points in this warp space, making battles near wormholes/jumpgates very decisive.
Well, now I am thinking of it, might as well have certain regions inaccessible unless you enter that general region via 2nd or 3rd region, like traveling to one quadrant of the galaxy then to a certain region then to the specific star cluster. From there you can FTL drive your way to your desired star system.
A bit heavy system idea but workable.
this is an excellently simple idea, give yourself a pat on the back. but if i may add something? what if FTL drive can punch into this "nether" but it drains energy, making it an emergency measure only. i like the idea of strategic points though, i liked the phase lines in Sins of a solar empire.
welcome to the forums mate, and good luck.
Meh.

Drago55577

• Skipper
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2011, 08:50:59 am »
Shockpoint drive!

Deadspace FTW!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 10:59:41 am by [ZanMgt]Gabriel »
Tell the cruise ships to open fire! Burn their mongral hides...