Author Topic: Ship Pass-along v.1  (Read 7830 times)

Kane Loki

• Founder
Ship Pass-along v.1
« on: June 10, 2012, 12:06:36 am »
Welcome to the ship pass-along thread!  Here, one person shares a simple hull, and others take turns building off of it.
Things are a bit of a mess at the moment, but we'll get them sorted soon enough.

Rules:
  1. the section should have a purpose, no random shapes filled with nothing
  2. make an attempt at the interior of your section, try to make it clear what the section does. if you there isn't a prefab for that yet.... uh improvise?
  3. respect others' build sections
  4. Post a claim in this thread prior to beginning work!
  Rules are a work-in-progress and are subject to change without notice.

Current Build:
Unnamed station
 Stage 0, by Czorio (second post)

Stage 1, by TarotDragoon
   Added central pillar and viewing platform

Stage 2, by Wadusher
   Added zero-gravity cargo bay

Stage 3, unclaimed

Past Builds:
Stubby McBrickerton
Spoiler
This one was a bit of a mess.  I'm not sure it actually passed from anyone to anyone else, other than from the original builder directly to the various people who worked on it.

Stage 0:

BRD, Kane Loki

Stage 1 (SnowDragon):

BRD, SnowDragon

Stage 1 (TarotDragoon):

BRD, TarotDragoon

Stage 1 (Voltaire):

Voltaire seems to be working on turning this into a finished product.  I'll post a link here when it shows up!
BRD, Voltaire

Stage 1 (Wadusher):

BRD, Wadusher

Original post:
Spoiler
So I was sitting there, planning another major revision to one of my ships, and I got to thinking - What would someone else do with one of my half-completed hulks?

I've decided to find out.  I made a nice, small (~50 meters) hull  to run a sort of pilot study.  Is there any interest in communal, iterative ship design?

The ship is probably a bit small for this, but I think it'll work.

No rules as yet, other than don't just start from scratch.  Don't completely undo someone else's work.  Don't finish the ship (unless the general consensus agrees).
No rules at all.  ;)

Any takers?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 12:37:30 am by Kane Loki »
Telekinesis - the art of taking something that shouldn't move, and respectfully disagreeing with its questionable life choices.

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
Re: Ship Pass-along v.1
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 05:02:04 am »
I'll see what I can do with it :P

TarotDragoon

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 05:24:11 am »
heh, this sounds fun, I'll take it after Snow
Micah- Loving all the ships here Tarot!

PURPLE UNTO DEATH!!! (or maybe blue)

Yolan

• Founder
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 06:38:56 am »
It's going to get stuck on the end of a thousand meter long monstrosity now. ^^
That's no moon!

blazingsentinal

• Founder
  • Capt. Recin "Blaze" Aeron of the IUN
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 06:47:23 am »
SH MKII

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 08:04:56 am »

Hah! Maybe!

Nah, I'll keep it to Destroyer size.

..Maybe light cruiser

Voltaire

• Founder
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 08:48:41 am »
Sorry Snow, Kane, I dived into this before properly reading the message chain; something just grabbed me about the image.

Once I realised my mistake I umm'd and arrr'd about posting this, but I felt it would better to post than not to...marginally.  Though I leave it at SnowDragon and Kanes discretion what is done with it.   I hope Kane will give me permission to skulk off in corner and tinker further with it.

Sorry again. :-[

Captures the look:

http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/members/1/103/102529/thumb_620x2000/Not_so_Stubby_McBrickerton.png

Captures the structure:

http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/members/1/103/102529/thumb_620x2000/Not_so_Stubby_McBrickerton_side.png

[ZanMgt]Gabriel

• BR Developer
  • Lord Ruler, Gamer, Programmer, Spy
    • www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 11:05:26 am »
Voltaire, wow. That is a sweet looking ship! Can't wait to meet it on the battle field!  ;D
"a programmer is an intermediary that converts sugar and caffeine into code"

Kane Loki

• Founder
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 03:18:06 pm »
Wow.  That looks brilliant, Voltaire! ;D

I think we'll go with SnowDragon's build because of the prior claim (Unless he decides to go off your ship, but I'll leave that up to SnowDragon), just to keep things simple.  But I hope you continue work on that thing!

Didn't expect people to leap on this like you have... :P

Edit:  Just loaded that thing up in the editor, Voltaire, and... How?  Did you really reproduce the thing, three times, by hand?
...Wait.  Did you somehow use symmetry and mirror to do it?  That would make sense.  Still impressive, though.  :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 03:29:32 pm by Kane Loki »
Telekinesis - the art of taking something that shouldn't move, and respectfully disagreeing with its questionable life choices.

Voltaire

• Founder
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 04:57:55 pm »
Wow.  That looks brilliant, Voltaire! ;D

I think we'll go with SnowDragon's build because of the prior claim

That is more than fair.

Didn't expect people to leap on this like you have... :P

Its an awesome idea.   Hope to participate in a few of these.

Edit:  Just loaded that thing up in the editor, Voltaire, and... How?  Did you really reproduce the thing, three times, by hand?
...Wait.  Did you somehow use symmetry and mirror to do it?  That would make sense.  Still impressive, though.  :)

Yes I did it all by hand.....Ok. No I used mirror a few times (end-wise, then length wise), removed a few of the copies and then added the front dome bit.  So fairly quick to do.

I have done some more edits since, making her sleeker and a little more interesting.  Will post soon!

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 12:15:41 pm »
ok, here are a few things that I started and dident know were to go with, anyone is welcome to take a wack at them, i would love to see how they come out.

files attached

edit (add pics)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:29:49 pm by theallmightybob »
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 12:18:25 pm »
Got halfway through a 160 metre addition to that design, will be posted to it when I wake up and finish it tomorrow. Sorry to keep you gents waiting!

PS: No, that is actually One Hundred and Sixty metres written there, not 1600 metres :P It's not a typo!

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 12:31:48 pm »
you, making something small, never thought i would see it, but you did make that hunter :P  i'd love to see you take a wack at MR big though.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

Hyperion

• Founder
  • SnowDragon's Lackey
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 03:20:09 pm »
So since I'm absolutely stumped on what to do for the prow of my new frigate I thought to give somebody else a crack at it. Good Luck.  ;)

I don't want to go "Oh! there's shots going my way! No big deal I'm the U.S.S Bloody Massive, It won't even leave a scratch." *boom* "SHIT! BIG DEAL! HUGE DEAL!"

Rocket Fiend

• Founder
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 03:25:11 pm »
So since I'm absolutely stumped on what to do for the prow of my new frigate I thought to give somebody else a crack at it. Good Luck.  ;)

Challenge accepted...
So long, chumps!