Author Topic: Why can't I connect to any server??  (Read 4689 times)

Xazbot

• Founder
  • Spacer, art studant on the side
Why can't I connect to any server??
« on: June 09, 2012, 09:40:53 am »
Hi guys.

Question:
Why can't I connect to any server, even when they are some listed? I press on connect and nothing happens.
I've notice that in the ping tab there is "N/A" displayed. But when I lunch the server in my files, in game it is listed on the multiplayer server list with his ping displayed and in it I can play.

[ZanMgt]Gabriel

• BR Developer
  • Lord Ruler, Gamer, Programmer, Spy
    • www.zanmgt.com
Re: Why can't I connect to any server??
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 10:28:52 am »
Are you using a older version?
"a programmer is an intermediary that converts sugar and caffeine into code"

Xazbot

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 01:41:52 pm »
No. I m using 0.59.1d

C0r3y

• Founder
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 02:50:57 pm »
ya this happens to me as well a lot   if u can get the ip of the server use direct ip it always works for me that way

Xazbot

• Founder
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 03:53:16 pm »
 :'(
Still nothing.
One more thing when I press "Refresh" a window pops up saying:
"There was a problem reading server list data."

maybe some hint on what it might be,or mabye nothing...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:28:03 pm by Xazbot »

[ZanMgt]Gabriel

• BR Developer
  • Lord Ruler, Gamer, Programmer, Spy
    • www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 10:56:55 am »
Hmm, this looks to be an issue that should be solved with the next release. Which should be in the next week. If you could wait until then, then try the new version and tell us what happens that would be very helpful!
"a programmer is an intermediary that converts sugar and caffeine into code"

Xazbot

• Founder
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 11:49:18 am »
Ok then. I ll check on this next update.

Xazbot

• Founder
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 09:44:14 pm »
Hello guys. So the new update came out and with it an update on my situation: still I can't connect on any server.
I m using 0.67.2.
When I click on the join tab a window start poping in and out saying "joining server"  then disapear, nothing happen... strangely I can still move the mouse cursor but the game gets "locked" in the server browser sceen.
Any button I put my mouse over still highlights but when pressing on it nothing happens.
I don't get it is this happening to anyone else? Is there any port forwarding needing to be done? Or does the issue only have something to do with the game itself?

NewEvolution

• Founder
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 10:52:38 pm »
If you're behind a router and don't have port forwarding enabled, that's probably the issue.  Depending on the router and how you use your computer it can be pretty easy or fairly involved to set up.

You can check out PortForward.com for guides to setting up port forwarding on whatever router you have, just ignore all their ridiculous ads for applications and use the menu to the left to choose your router.  Since Blockade Runner isn't listed in their application-centric guides, you can just click the Default Guide link once you get to the router page, and set it up to forward the port Blockade Runner uses for multiplayer, port 32411.

If you want to know more in depth about port forwarding, here's a decent article on it.

Since you need to forward that port to a specific IP for your computer, you'll need to have a static IP for the machine you play Blockade Runner on.

If you're on a desktop that doesn't go anywhere or a laptop that's plugged into the router with an ethernet cable then a normal static IP is the way to go. Here's a decent guide on how to set up a static IP.

Some routers support reserving a DHCP assigned IP for a machine based on its MAC address which makes it easier if you're using a laptop you use to connect to multiple networks.  You can check that out here if it works for your router.

Good luck!

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 09:40:53 am »
For joining servers port forwarding should not be required. Only need to do it for hosting.
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
<Strait_Raider>That's like... my two favorite things.
     Put together.
     That's like... Kate Upton in a Tiger

NewEvolution

• Founder
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 02:37:15 pm »
For joining servers port forwarding should not be required. Only need to do it for hosting.

Ah, right. Since you're sending the request out the router knows where to direct the reply. When hosting it's just random traffic showing up at the port and the router needs to know what to do with it.

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 03:26:14 pm »

Ah, right. Since you're sending the request out the router knows where to direct the reply. When hosting it's just random traffic showing up at the port and the router needs to know what to do with it.

That being said, I believe the new server executable is supposed to work even without port forwarding.

And unless something did it automatically for me, I've been running joinable servers without it. :S

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 03:47:42 pm »
yeah i think thats becasue the master server is helping with the connection, but i dont think its bullet proof. but its worked for me in the past too.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

PLB

• Founder
  • One is not true, unless he does. - Peter L. Barnes
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 05:28:16 pm »
I can't connect to servers either, only my own if I run one. The only button that doesn't work is [Okay] in the direct connect window, but I think that just means the server Ip isn't valid, even though there is no alert saying so. Meh?
One is not true, unless he does the things of another one.- Peter L. Barnes

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 05:34:05 pm »
I have noticed the ones that have been posted on the forums are rarely up it seems.
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
<Strait_Raider>That's like... my two favorite things.
     Put together.
     That's like... Kate Upton in a Tiger