I'm currently in the process of building my first ship - of course, being what I am, it's a friking big colony ship
Here's some feedback on the editor; ideas of what could be done to improve the edition process im both term if speed & comfort. Keep up the good work, this has the potential of becoming a great game!
I am using verson 0.59.1d
1) First problem I ran into, was the impossibility of creating a ship of odd size with the symmetry plane. Since you can only place the plane inbetween 2 blocks, that means, my ship size must be a multiple of 2. And with the concept of center of gravity & having just a driver's seat & point of view, I would personally prefer having a ship of odd width, with my seat right in the center.
2) I'm begging for a "lock orientation" key, when placing prefabs. Often I have the right orientation, but the wrong placement. Then I move a little bit, then I have with the prefab for the right orientation! Would be cool that once I have theright orientation, I could lock it by pressing a key (like ctrl) and then I could move around with the prefab not reorienting itself. Just a suggestion
3) Would be awesome to have a quick-pick for material. Either using the same group mechanics as RTS (ctrl + number to assign & then number to select). Another way would be to have a key that make your current material selection teh same as the one under your cursor when you press it (same behavior as eyedropper tool in most photo editing tools).
4) Copy pasting a cube would be just plain awesome!
5) Being able to make cylinders (with either straight or circular ending).
6) For volumes such as boxes & spheres, having the possibility of making empty ones.
7) The possibility to set a texture under a prefab (maybe an option to "hide all prefabs" & see only the frame.
Thanks & let me know if there is anyway of doing anything I am mentioning here already. Maybe I'm not just aware of how to do it.
I'll continue working on my ship & send it when it's done!