Author Topic: Editor feedback  (Read 2231 times)

P4rty-Boy

• Founder
Editor feedback
« on: June 04, 2012, 03:27:06 pm »
Hey guys!

I'm currently in the process of building my first ship - of course, being what I am, it's a friking big colony ship :)

Here's some feedback on the editor; ideas of what could be done to improve the edition process im both term if speed & comfort. Keep up the good work, this has the potential of becoming a great game! :)

I am using verson 0.59.1d

1) First problem I ran into, was the impossibility of creating a ship of odd size with the symmetry plane. Since you can only place the plane inbetween 2 blocks, that means, my ship size must be a multiple of 2. And with the concept of center of gravity & having just a driver's seat & point of view, I would personally prefer having a ship of odd width, with my seat right in the center.

2) I'm begging for a "lock orientation" key, when placing prefabs. Often I have the right orientation, but the wrong placement. Then I move a little bit, then I have with the prefab for the right orientation! Would be cool that once I have theright orientation, I could lock it by pressing a key (like ctrl) and then I could move around with the prefab not reorienting itself. Just a suggestion :)

3) Would be awesome to have a quick-pick for material. Either using the same group mechanics as RTS (ctrl + number to assign & then number to select). Another way would be to have a key that make your current material selection teh same as the one under your cursor when you press it (same behavior as eyedropper tool in most photo editing tools).

4) Copy pasting a cube would be just plain awesome!

5) Being able to make cylinders (with either straight or circular ending).

6) For volumes such as boxes & spheres, having the possibility of making empty ones.

7) The possibility to set a texture under a prefab (maybe an option to "hide all prefabs" & see only the frame.

Thanks & let me know if there is anyway of doing anything I am mentioning here already. Maybe I'm not just aware of how to do it.

I'll continue working on my ship & send it when it's done! :)

blazingsentinal

• Founder
  • Capt. Recin "Blaze" Aeron of the IUN
Re: Editor feedback
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 03:37:01 pm »
for 1) press alt and the rest are all planned features.

P4rty-Boy

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 03:48:54 pm »
Sweet! Is there a list somewhere of all planned features?

Thx for the quick answer!

blazingsentinal

• Founder
  • Capt. Recin "Blaze" Aeron of the IUN
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 03:56:45 pm »
http://forums.blockaderunnergame.com/index.php?topic=88.0 <-- theres the planned features list, although it hasn't been updated in a while

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 05:35:37 pm »
2) hit the lock build direction key on the top bar.
"If you're in an equal fight, your tactics suck."

http://www.youtube.com/user/czorio4

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 04:30:36 am »
in my experience lock direction key doesn't really work for prefabs very well though

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 09:34:24 am »
2) hit the lock build direction key on the top bar.

or "V" thats the short cut, alot faster. it will make the arrow on your compas turn blue to indicate it is locked.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

TarotDragoon

• Founder
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 10:39:24 am »
personally I would like to have a way to copy/paste sections of blocks, or even just a 'move' function I'm getting tired of making the same thing time after time when I descide a wing isn't large enough or that massive engine block needs to be a few meters higher.
Micah- Loving all the ships here Tarot!

PURPLE UNTO DEATH!!! (or maybe blue)

[ZanMgt]Gabriel

• BR Developer
  • Lord Ruler, Gamer, Programmer, Spy
    • www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 11:15:23 am »
1: Hit "alt" with symmetry tool active. This will set it to "odd" symmetry, pressing "alt" again resets it to "even" symmetry.

2: There is a "Set Build Direction" in the "Tool" section of the menu. Or press "V" for the shortcut.

3: Pressing "B" will grab the material that you are looking at like a eyedropper.

4: This will be coming later.

5: This will be coming later.

6: Hollow shapes will be coming.... *shifts eyes left and right*... later.

7: Proper "plating" of prefabs will be coming... *dodges rock being thrown at me*... sometime down the road.  ;)
"a programmer is an intermediary that converts sugar and caffeine into code"

P4rty-Boy

• Founder
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 12:04:30 pm »
Thanks for your reply all! I'm glad I asked, that will make my life easier now.

Time to get back to work on my ship! :)

Did not progressed much today, for a very simply reason... :(

Can you add to the list of features: Auto-save? :(

Alaric edit: combined double post
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 03:34:46 pm by Alaric »

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 02:46:23 pm »
yes the dreaded crashes, though should be worked out eventualy, but alpha can be a bit of a headach like that, just rember to save offtin, and in to atleast 2 diffrent file names just in case untill they get that sorted out. and happy building, cant wait to see some new ships around
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 06:15:08 am »
hollow shapes? does that mean we'll be getting sub-meter thickness 'blocks' or- oh, you mean hollow cubes, cylinders, and spheroids, darn
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."