Author Topic: Stealth systems!  (Read 41996 times)

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
Re: Stealth systems!
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2011, 08:55:37 pm »
I don't mind things that are fundamental physics being enforced, unless it is the speed of light lol.
While normally I would disagree and would rather enforce the speed of light (I'm not dismissing them but I'd hardly classify CERN's results as a definitive end-all abolition of that speed "limit"), for the sake of gameplay it would undoubtedly be better to have some information able to travel faster than light. Moreso with FTL travel but also with communication; although I'm not quite sure I'd go so far as instantaneous - there'd have to be a good balance (as with everything of course). My 0.02 ISK.
<Czorio> The bittersweet embrace of the Alaric is the only embrace I'll ever know.
<Gabriel> Because Alaric robbed your pleasure...
<Aaron> I feel dirty. Alaric, pls hold me.
<Terah> I don't guess when it comes to you Alaric, I just assume you are always watching...

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2011, 08:58:00 pm »
I will make a post on FTL with different types where community can add descriptions to it.

"Quotes at the bottom of signatures are pointless. Just like this one."

- Unknown

Matz05

• Founder
  • Diabolical Genius
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2011, 08:59:18 pm »
If you are talking about EVE Capsuler currency and not Iceland money, isn't that quite a lot of money by Earth standards?
Posted By Alaric on 28 Jun 2011 04:54 PM
...it doesn't matter, I making space ships!

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2011, 09:09:28 pm »
If you are talking about EVE Capsuler currency and not Iceland money, isn't that quite a lot of money by Earth standards?
I sure am. My opinion is worth a lot :P
<Czorio> The bittersweet embrace of the Alaric is the only embrace I'll ever know.
<Gabriel> Because Alaric robbed your pleasure...
<Aaron> I feel dirty. Alaric, pls hold me.
<Terah> I don't guess when it comes to you Alaric, I just assume you are always watching...

Kron

• Founder
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 11:41:23 am »
Hmmm... here's a modified idea: What about electronic warfare?

Rather than total stealth or camouflage, ships can use jamming to screw with enemy automated fire control and missile lock-ons. Make it really hard to get a bead on enemy ships.

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 11:42:30 am »
As seen in the Inertial Dampers thread:
Plasma shields are already being considered for stealth applications for their ability to "eat" targeted wavelengths of light; shield frequency could be implemented as being able to block the same frequency of scanners and comms as well as damping down frequencies close to the targeted one (bell-curve of effect).

Of course, this also implies that shields with matched frequencies or at least very close to it should be able to merge and cancel each other allowing for craft/torpedoes with the same shields, even very weak ones, to be launched through active shields.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2011, 12:26:06 pm »
I think an element of hacking could be included in the game. I  just am not 100% sure how it could be made difficult enough for it to not be op.

I think it could lead the game down a very bad path of unfunness!

- Unknown

Zerebo

• Super Moderator
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2011, 12:31:09 pm »
I would just eject the reactor core out to cool in space.
That would be good for getting rid of a potentially explosive core but it wouldn't help in cooling. The vacuum of space means that only active heat dissipation works to cool something down; I remember recently hearing or reading about the ISS having issues with their heatsinks (something to do with their computers I think) where that very point was mentioned. But there I go again talking about real-life; the usual caveat of "this is a game" still applies.
Well it would work when the core is hot enough.
There is still thermal radiation and it grows with T^4. So with a very hot core it could work great.

I think an element of hacking could be included in the game. I  just am not 100% sure how it could be made difficult enough for it to not be op.

Hacking lines or wireless controls will be possible.

Kron

• Founder
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2011, 12:31:46 pm »

Agreed, will have to think about hacking and AIs. There should be a way to implement aspects of programming into the game without overwhelming the other aspects, like redstone.

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2011, 12:31:55 pm »
Hacking, really?  You need either a wireless block or direct access, aka a boarding action.  Additionally, any complicated hacking mechanic will require additional coding.  My guess is that even wireless blocks will be listening only to the commands that come from the nearest other wireless block or else those commands have a higher priority and proportionally greater visible effect, allowing hackers to slow down a turret or something.

I could see the implementation of a virus into a helm block that switches around controls or actively causes a meltdown in a reactor, but it would still most likely require in-person application to work.  The Cylon model of communications-based hattery is a little ridiculous from my limited understanding of how electronics work.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2011, 12:36:52 pm »
All I would do to prevent that is make sure all m systems are on a closed circuit. Then have a separate wireless system just for communicating with other ships and other non vital processes.

Also since I have an AI I could get it to just replicate itself and throw copies at your ship till yours, mine, or they both crash from being overloaded.

- Unknown

Kron

• Founder
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2011, 12:39:23 pm »
I think we need a new thread for this computer science stuff. =/

Matz05

• Founder
  • Diabolical Genius
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2011, 09:17:57 pm »
Actually, if you can get a program executing on an enemy computer you know little about, a wabbit (runs itself over and over until it hogs all the memory and crashes the system) would be a fair choice.

Might not be as effective as a specific "reactor overload" program or whatever, but it would have deleterious effects on just about everything. Slowdown of automated systems or all-out temporary failure of controls would be dangerous in a fight.

Jmanndriver

• Founder
  • Bigger is Better...
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2011, 09:45:46 pm »
I know this will be a little off topic but the memory availabe will be beyond comprehension. we will have like googles of terabytes of memory available.

- Unknown

Matz05

• Founder
  • Diabolical Genius
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2011, 10:14:12 pm »
Not on actual ingame systems. They would be rather weak to reduce lag. Don't forget, they have to be abstracted enough to emulate!