Author Topic: Converting .mesh files to .obj?  (Read 10344 times)

Vininator

• Founder
  • Owner of Galactic Munitions Inc... and a cool guy.
Converting .mesh files to .obj?
« on: May 14, 2012, 06:28:12 pm »
I have been looking for a program that lets you convert .mesh files into .obj files, but no luck so far. I want to get a few ships from Sins of a Solar Empire to work in a 3D viewer I found, but it can only read .obj files. I can't find anything to read .mesh files...

I did find a program called XNALara, which I can only describe as a program designed to take .mesh files from Tomb Raider so you can pose Lara Croft like a little love doll. You know not the horrors I have faced to come this far...  :o Sadly, it crashes when I try to load the ship files.

I hope someone can help me out here!

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
Re: Converting .mesh files to .obj?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 12:41:33 pm »
Off the top of my head, game files are usually proprietary somehow; so their .mesh might not be the same. You might need to find a ripper for that specific game, or you might need to try renaming the files as .3ds or .obj and seeing if they open. Actually, I'd look here, might be useful.  ;)
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Vininator

• Founder
  • Owner of Galactic Munitions Inc... and a cool guy.
Re: Converting .mesh files to .obj?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 10:19:15 pm »
Thanks! I was thinking I'd need a specialized tool as well. I'll look into that link :)

EDIT:
Ok the model converter in that link seems to work. If I can find a *ahem* FREE version, it will let me convert to .obj. That's step 1 :) Can't seem to get on any sharing sites though... hmmm.

Now if I could only figure out MrVorgra's voxelizer tutorial :P
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:33:26 pm by Vininator »