Author Topic: What kind of combat style do you prefer? "Star Trek" or "Star Wars" style?  (Read 15139 times)

Erebus

• Founder
that said I'm not entirely convinced on this devide of combat styles. In star wars there are many, many instances of dog fighting, it's jsut that the larger ships behave very differently from fighters.
Well yea, as I said earlier, star wars really has every aspect of combat. Dog fighting, "battleship" type fighting and very long distance fighting aswell. I actually think star wars is a brilliant reference for good space combat (not just the movies)

I think you still didnt quite get what I meant...I never said I want to ban fighter-style combat. I just dont want fighter-style combat with capital ships, like in "Star Trek".

In "Star Wars" or "Babylon 5" no ship above the size of a small freighter or large bomber behaves like a fighter. In Star Trek even 1mile-long ships fly around like fighters.

mamastoast

• Founder
Well..  uhm, never thought that's what you were saying :) I was just pointing out that dog fighting did happen in star wars (which you obviously know).

So I guess we all agree :P I really don't wanna see large ships acting like fighting either, takes away from the "feel" of a large ship. Then again some ships larger than fighters , even in star wars are designed to act like fighting, but usually the design give them away quite clearly, so it works fine.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:04:39 pm by mamastoast »

McNielGDI

• Founder
  • Agent of the GCAM
I'm really glad that Blockade runner is more meant for people to be creative in what they build rather than just building unbelievably large weapon blocks. I know way too many people that would do that DX which just destroys anything I would make :(
GCAM Support today for a better tomorrow.

Zerebo

• Super Moderator
I don't think we will get star trek style fights.
The devs already confirmed to add moment of inertia. That will make large ships much less agile.
Then it's just important to have no overpowered systems and we get nice slow capital ships.

mamastoast

• Founder
I believe it'll be a mix really. There are some people who will play the game to be the most effective in combat and will perhaps put a limited amount of design into what they build. And then there are somewho would rate the design of the ship over how effective it actually is. If I had to guess I'd say that most people here care about design to quite a large extend, where as the competitive ones may well join us later once the game has more "gameplay" to it

blackether

• Founder
We're going to have inertial dampening fields and artificial gravity, so what's to stop a large ship from acting like a small one? "Because it doesn't look like it should" really isn't that great of an argument... The stresses on the ship's interior will be negligible with the proper tech installed.

The specifications and limits on different thrusters will be the only thing stopping you from making a 'large' ship that behaves like a small one, and if the game really does become as customizable as many of us think it will be, then this will become a moot point as well.

It will be more of a decision about how you want to spend your power output: making your ship move like it was 10 or 100 times smaller or defending against an enemy ship's weapons by increasing shield strength.

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
It'll depend on the ship class. Frigates, destroyers, cruisers, all will fight like star trek. Batleships, however, really have no choice but to throw the park brake and bombard the living heck out of everything in their path, so it becomes star wars.

Z00111111

• Founder
I like the combat in Battlestar Galactica. The big ships just coast along firing out of ever orifice, while fighters zip around firing pointlessly.

Physics will dictate ship behavior anyway. Even if ships can't tear themselves apart from stresses, the amount of thrust needed to make a billion ton ship dance would render it useless in combat anyway. A 1km ship is still going to be a massive target regardless of it's movements.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
Physics will dictate ship behavior anyway. ...

We'll start with that - however the physics get implemented will dictate combat entirely. If the devs are going for a real, 6-directions of freedom, inertial system; ships will fight like nothing in either Star Wars or Star Trek. That's because Star Wars uses primarily fighter combat (I believe the Death Star scene is straight out of a WWII flick), with banking and maneuvering styled after the way fighters fly in atmosphere; and Star Trek combat resembles old naval combat but in 3D - ships line up against each other and fly around shooting, but there really isn't much global strategizing or planning going on - the one thing most people here would appreciate is that it relies heavily on boarding, which SW does not (another point of mine - little combat boarding will likely happen. In SW - two entire death stars with their hundreds of thousands of troops were destroyed by single-seater fighters; the executor was destroyed by a lucky hit to the bridge and the nearby gravity of the DS, and star destroyers and mon-cal cruisers get blown up left and right by single-shot weapons). I've heard it's similar to ancient galleon or age of sail warfare, but I'm not positive that's right.

Our combat will probably be like neither - unless we  can implement some kind of "flip-block" that allows ships to somehow do physics-defying stunts, we're not going to fly around like in SW. Star Trek is likely off as well, since they also bank and turn in ways that our ships won't likely be able to. If distances are huge, we may find ourselves fighting at sensor-lock distances (whatever those are - WWII battleship/modern day missile cruiser combat); or we may find ourselves needing to match speed and heading if ship speeds are high to cover those distances (age-of-sail combat). Combat could easily be about who finds who first; and turn into a hyper-movement/railgun (submarine combat) war- but the devs have said they don't want that.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Erebus

• Founder
Frigates, destroyers, cruisers, all will fight like star trek.

That would be VERY disappointing for me. It would basically ruin all my cruiser designs I had in mind.

Imaus

• Founder
  • Let the Hammerfall
Star wars by far for me.
Family Balenchist

Erebus

• Founder
I think everybody here should watch Babylon 5. Spacecombat there is similar to Star Wars, but a bit more realistic. Actually its so realistic, that NASA asked the producers if they could use the design of one of their fighters for a proposed ISS spacecraft. The producers of Babylon 5 consulted a lot of physicists to let spaceships look and behave like they probably would in reality.

It really is the best example if you want to see the most realistic yet entertaining approach. Spaceships there behave like I described, cruisers mostly stay behind and exchange weapons fire while moving very slowly around, while the fighters zip around in all directions. The cool thing is that they actually included inertia, so you wont see a Babylon 5 fighter "fly a curve" like in Star Wars or even Star Trek, they always have to nullify there previous momentum first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSa6Zl8fcyo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96idw23kHdY (This video has also the neat sound effects, but also slight spoilers...)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:06:32 pm by Erebus »

Cole

• Founder
I would personally like to see a bsg style combat system/physics in play. If you pay attention to the way the vipers fly, they not only dart all over the place, but they can pick up speed, idle the main thrusters, and use the rcs thrusters to turn the ships to one side to strafe large targets. The larger ships obviously had larger ship to ship guns, but they also had point defense cannons that fired continuous vollies of flack that make a wall of death for anything too small to take on it's own. This pretty much forced larger ships into battle, rather than a large ship jumping in, dropping fighters, and FTLing out at the next possible time.

So say we all.

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
I think everybody here should watch Babylon 5. Spacecombat there is similar to Star Wars, but a bit more realistic. Actually its so realistic, that NASA asked the producers if they could use the design of one of their fighters for a proposed ISS spacecraft. The producers of Babylon 5 consulted a lot of physicists to let spaceships look and behave like they probably would in reality.

It really is the best example if you want to see the most realistic yet entertaining approach. Spaceships there behave like I described, cruisers mostly stay behind and exchange weapons fire while moving very slowly around, while the fighters zip around in all directions. The cool thing is that they actually included inertia, so you wont see a Babylon 5 fighter "fly a curve" like in Star Wars or even Star Trek, they always have to nullify there previous momentum first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSa6Zl8fcyo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96idw23kHdY (This video has also the neat sound effects, but also slight spoilers...)

b5 has so much physics that the fighters are launched by centrifugal force of the artifical gravity sections. b5 is awesome.
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

Vininator

• Founder
  • Owner of Galactic Munitions Inc... and a cool guy.
Now if only they could reboot the franchise with state of the art graphics... hmmmm...