Author Topic: Blockade Runner Wiki  (Read 16104 times)

Zerebo

• Super Moderator
Blockade Runner Wiki
« on: September 25, 2011, 03:45:41 pm »
The "Community-official" Blockade Runner Wiki is located at http://blockaderunnerwiki.com

We encourage anyone who wishes to help to register an account and edit away!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:01:10 pm by Alaric »

EliteASH_11

• Founder
  • Competition starter.
    • Steam
Re: Blockade Runner Wiki
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 01:51:08 am »
Yeah we do, I believe its mostly me, dayshine and Doofu working on it at the moment. Anyone know who created the wiki because I would like to make some changes that only an admin can do.
"That MAC gun can put a round clean through a Covenant Capital Ship."

Vininator

• Founder
  • Owner of Galactic Munitions Inc... and a cool guy.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 08:35:51 am »
I'd love to help. I have no experience with Wikis though... And I'm pretty new to the game myself ;D

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 09:13:48 am »
I might start adding some things when I get the chance.

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 10:55:49 am »
I personally hate Wikia's site/layout with a passion. Though I would not want to advocate or start a wiki-war (e.g. Terraria wikis), I have a MediaWiki style (which powers the Minecraft Wiki & Wikipedia itself) wiki pseudo set up if more people prefer that style. If I am in the minority I will gladly let it die; if not now might be a good time to migrate since there isn't a lot of content (which can easily be exported). To reiterate EliteASH_11, has anyone even gotten in contact with the Wikia-BR Wiki founder for the ability to make organizational changes?
<Czorio> The bittersweet embrace of the Alaric is the only embrace I'll ever know.
<Gabriel> Because Alaric robbed your pleasure...
<Aaron> I feel dirty. Alaric, pls hold me.
<Terah> I don't guess when it comes to you Alaric, I just assume you are always watching...

Zerebo

• Super Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 04:31:41 pm »
I also don't like Wikia's site/layout and I don't like the fact that some random guy is the only admin:
http://blockaderunner.wikia.com/wiki/User:Tao77
For this kind of game a proper wiki is essential. For many people it's the first place they search if they get stuck or don't understand parts of the game. I don't want to rely on a crappy wiki with random admin.

Minecraft wiki style is perfect, you should make a new official wiki Alaric. Now is the best time for it. Before there is to much content and to many people rely on it. This way the community got full control of the wiki.

kaptnkrunch

• Founder
  • Full Violocity ahead. With all violence and speed.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 04:41:53 pm »
I'd agree that now would be an ideal time to migrate. There's very little on there. If we're going to migrate should defo do it before the next update and any more content gets generated.

If the template you've got is like the minecraft wiki/wikipedia classic/vanilla then I'm all for it. The wikia layout isnkt my fave either. I'll certainly contribute when we've got something other than speculation to contribute.

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 06:39:11 pm »
I also advocate the switch.

I would suggest also that for the time being we limit ourselves to an overview of the game and a list of planned features, and wait at least until the next release before we start listing component blocks and their characteristics. It saves us one round of cleaning everything up when the new release comes.

It might also be prudent to discuss the rules for our wiki, and whether or not we need any significant alteration from say, the Minecraft wiki rules.

Of particular importance at this stage would be to remind everyone to avoid posting any speculation and stick to what ZANMGT has confirmed they intend to include.

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 08:48:03 pm »
blockaderunner.wikkii.com
EDIT: switched to a more accessible host at blockaderunnerwiki.com

Migrated everything from the Wikia version & did some hasty pruning. It is still in dire need of an overhaul; the imported information is more a starting point than anything and can be deleted entirely if someone wants to revamp the organization. I would advise looking at some template designs of Minecraft Wiki's and also those of the AdventureCraft mod (which is also hosted at Wikkii) to make things look nice.

I will happily dole out admin privileges to frequent contributors so we don't end up with a stagnant wiki due to lack of people with the proper permissions. I agree with Strait Raider about keeping speculated features (other than the planned Core Features perhaps) out of the wiki until they're actually implemented. Discussion for wiki rules (and eventually the rules themselves) should probably take place in the wiki itself on the talk pages.

Eventually we will probably have to move away from that host once things start picking up, but it's fairly simple to export content & import it later. If it becomes good enough we might be able to pitch it as the "Official" wiki to the devs so that they can host it themselves...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:03:50 pm by Alaric »
<Czorio> The bittersweet embrace of the Alaric is the only embrace I'll ever know.
<Terah> I don't guess when it comes to you Alaric, I just assume you are always watching...

Vininator

• Founder
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 08:10:48 am »
Account created :) prefer the new page btw.

This is my first time editing a wiki, so where do I start? How exactly does this work?

kaptnkrunch

• Founder
  • Full Violocity ahead. With all violence and speed.
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 08:25:04 am »
Account created. Will endeavour to post when we've got something to post about...

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 08:59:05 am »
Here is a basic tutorial on editing using the standard wiki format (with a test sandbox page as well). It's not quite as simple as WYSIWYG (which may be the appeal of Wikia) but you don't have to fully learn HTML, either. Even if there's not much to add content-wise there's always site organization & page formatting to clean up if anyone feels so inclined.

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 04:25:24 pm »
I'm currently working on a potential new organization for the main page of our wiki, using a boxed style similar to wikipedia itself and particularly the minecraft wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Minecraft_Wiki

I think this style is more visually appealing and makes a better use of the space, particularly for widescreen monitors.

What are your thoughts on this?

Alaric

• Super Moderator
  • I making space ships!
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 06:34:47 pm »
Go for it!

I'll work on porting over some of those templates used in the other wikis so we can have a uniform visual style, as well as ease of use.

EDIT: Found a couple more resources on handling the MediaWiki beast:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MediaWiki_User_Guide
Handy markup cheatsheet
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 07:31:20 pm by Alaric »

Vininator

• Founder
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 10:57:09 pm »
LOVE the current look.