Author Topic: Multiplayer Plasma Weapons!!!  (Read 6720 times)

Elvengod

• Founder
Multiplayer Plasma Weapons!!!
« on: May 05, 2012, 06:19:34 pm »
One of the best aspects of Blockade Runner is the ability of a Plasma Weapon to shoot through one another allowing for massive lazars, however, a side effect is that you cant completely obliterate your frenemies ships ;) . so if Y'all up in Zanmgt could maybe make it so that each plasma shot knows which plasma weapons are its creators, and which ones it can kill, that would be cool  ;D

...Also... If y'all could make the force field bubble dissapear so that i can ram my buddies and not play bumper cars, that would be cool...
Life begins in the shadows and thus life ends in the shadows
- first Virak king, Zimfira

spartan007

• Founder
Re: Multiplayer Plasma Weapons!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 06:29:30 pm »
lol agreed although another problem or one that i have had, you end up blowing up your own ship while turning and shooting.I dont how that would be fixed but,that would be nice to XD

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 06:37:44 pm »
Plasma weapon invulnerability will probably be modified when weapons are revamped. The last priority list was 1) First-person movement, 2) Ship movement overhaul, 3) Weapons overhaul.

Better collision has been on the to-do list for a while as well, we'll have to see when it comes up.

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 07:35:09 pm »
Eh, better collision should come after better ship spawning in. As it is, the ships play bumper cars when they get brought in, I can only imagine the kind of entertainment that will come about as I try to spawn a FireLance into my shipyard with SH already parked there and the Cruiser becomes part of the freaking hull hah!

Neonivek

• Founder
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 08:42:19 pm »
Truthfully I wouldn't want the ability to truely uttarly obliterate a ship. I'd rather it fragment into peices.

Wadusher

• Founder
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 09:14:53 pm »
Truthfully I wouldn't want the ability to truely uttarly obliterate a ship. I'd rather it fragment into peices.
I'm sure small fighters and bombers can be completely obliterated with ease whereas large enough capital ships would likely only fragment with even the warpcore exploding.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 09:49:18 pm by Wadusher »

Imaus

• Founder
  • Let the Hammerfall
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 11:43:56 pm »
I'm sure small fighters and bombers can be completely obliterated with ease whereas large enough capital ships would likely only fragment with even the warpcore exploding.

^
Family Balenchist

Bladecatcher

• Founder
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 03:14:57 am »
Idk. I'd like a little bit of debris when a fighter is destroyed. Nothing as big as a chunk of the hull, but a good amount of random blocks flying every which way would be pretty cool. Plus, after a large battle there would be a good sized debris field to scavenge through. I guess it all depends on the construction of the ship and where the reactor is. I agree about the larger ships though. I really want to be able to destroy the reactor of a ship, but then still have to fight the remaining crew in the smoldering, powerless front half of the ship as it tumbles through space.

This game is going to be so badass.  8)

kaptnkrunch

• Founder
  • Full Violocity ahead. With all violence and speed.
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 04:36:17 am »
I'd love if a ship fragmented, so that if any blocks are no longer in contact the ship, where the ship is defined as any block in contact with the block with blue feet on it, then they are detached and float off at the their last known velocity. That'd be sweet.

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 08:30:08 am »
It all depends on how the ship is destroyed though. If if you just happen to disable it from small well placed shots somehow, I'd expect even fighters to remain just a wreck, but if hit by a missile or just generelly torn to pieces (which I imagine will happen in most cases) Fighters and such should just go up in flames I think with only a few parts left floating. What worries me a bit thugh is the amount of entities A furture detachment system will cause. I mean if every detached block turns into its own entity and floats away, won't that be extreme heavy to run?

kaptnkrunch

• Founder
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 08:33:42 am »
That's a fair point actually.

Having zillions of floating things would lag everything to shreds. One way of doing it would be to make any sets of blocks  less than 10 in number decay and disappear after 5-10 seconds, perhaps leaving static dust that could be harvested and flow through?

That way you'd still get bits of large wreckage, but not many bits, and stuff to harvest after a battle.

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 08:41:47 am »
On the actual point of OP. I honestly couldn't disagree more. I see it is a big issue with many ships designs right now, that people place a bunch of cannons on top of eachother to make "super lasers". This is why I also avoid this, same with engine blocks. It's simply stupid to "stack" weapons like that. If you place a cannon behind anything, it should hit it, including another cannon. Now if you want a huge space gun that isn't just one layer of cannons , you should wait till the devs implement a huge place gun for you to place, or wait till we as users have the ability to make one ourselves.

@Kaptn Problem with that, is that a huge thing about blockade runner will be the ability to board a wreck of a larger ship in spacesuits  and possible loot whatever valueable you may find inside. THis wouldnt work with if they despawned. Then again you do say less than 10.. so maybe, yea we'll 100% need a despawner for single blocks.. unless the devs can program it so they're not super heavy
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 08:58:57 am by mamastoast »

kaptnkrunch

• Founder
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 08:51:28 am »
On the actual point of OP. I honestly couldn't disagree more. I see it is a big issue with many ships designs right now, that people place a bunch of cannons on top of eachother to make "super lasers". This is why I also avoid this, same with engine blocks. It's simply stupid to "stack" weapons like that. If you place a cannon behind anything, it should hit it, including another cannon. Now if you want a huge space gun that isn't just one layer of cannons , you should wait till the devs implement a huge place gun for you to place, or wait till we as users have the ability to make one ourselves.

@Kaptn Problem with that, is that a huge thing about blockade runner will be the ability to board a wreck of a larger ship in spacesuits  and possible loot whatever valueable you may find inside. THis would work with if they despawned. Then again you do say less than 10.. so maybe, yea we'll 100% need a despawner for single blocks.. unless the devs can program it so they're not super heavy

I agree with your take on the plasma. Stacking them doesn't make any sense, they really ought to just be fixed fighter weapons with power scaling depending on what sort of reactor they're connected to.
Proper guns are to be implemented soon anyway, so wouldn't worry.

Re: wreckage
That's the idea, only small stuff you can't board would decay and become static dust. Big interesting bits of wreckage (say the front half of a space ship that got blown in half) would stay floating around and be able to be boarded : D
I'm a massive fan of the idea of boarding space hulks etc.

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 08:59:48 am »

@Kaptn Problem with that, is that a huge thing about blockade runner will be the ability to board a wreck of a larger ship in spacesuits  and possible loot whatever valueable you may find inside. THis would work with if they despawned. Then again you do say less than 10.. so maybe, yea we'll 100% need a despawner for single blocks.. unless the devs can program it so they're not super heavy

I agree with your take on the plasma. Stacking them doesn't make any sense, they really ought to just be fixed fighter weapons with power scaling depending on what sort of reactor they're connected to.
Proper guns are to be implemented soon anyway, so wouldn't worry.

Re: wreckage
That's the idea, only small stuff you can't board would decay and become static dust. Big interesting bits of wreckage (say the front half of a space ship that got blown in half) would stay floating around and be able to be boarded : D
I'm a massive fan of the idea of boarding space hulks etc.

Yea... god it'll be so awesome.. imagine walking through abandoned wallways and stuff, maybe even with floating corpses in some rooms... so cool!

Elvengod

• Founder
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 11:37:06 am »
Completely dominating and obliterating a ship should be possible, it shouldn't be easy!!! normally people would be satisfied with just blowing the ship to chunks, but say you and your Nemesis were duking it out, and even though technically your ship was weaker, you managed to beat him, who wouldn't enjoy rubbing your victory in your frenemies face even more by completely annihilating every last chunk? it would probably be hard as heck, maybe even harder than the battle was itself, but it should still be possible. Ok, im done :)
Life begins in the shadows and thus life ends in the shadows
- first Virak king, Zimfira