Author Topic: Glass  (Read 1876 times)

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
Glass
« on: May 04, 2012, 03:04:16 am »
This is a round about way of creating glass, using a plane in 3dmax, when textured without the 2d sided texture feature off you produce a glass like effect, with the ability to see through one side and not the other.

Attached is a quick concept, im thinking about creating modular glass blocks 1mcubed, with and without borders, portholes and the sort, luckily they are easy to texture, what do you people think of the black for the opaque side?

In the image is one single prefab, side by side and one being rotated the other way.

There is a glass sheen to the glass (done by smoothing the plane) however I failed with the screen shot.

added another example

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 03:17:21 am by MrVorgra »
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

vampiredawn

• Founder
Re: Glass
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 05:44:59 am »
I love it and want a copy of it...it looks great.

blackether

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 08:58:01 am »
Looking good, but wouldn't the goal be to create a 'lit window' effect when the ship is up and running? I know it will make sense on big ships that tend to have the skyscraper look to them, but perhaps it will be better to have blacked-out windows. Anyways, good to see that modders like you are adding things we need before the Devs can even get to it.  :)

Imaus

• Founder
  • Let the Hammerfall
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 11:58:16 pm »
This is really good.
Family Balenchist

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 12:16:41 am »
Talked to the devs about it, and it will be transparent textures instead of this shortcut.
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.