Author Topic: Today's Progress! Revised Sonic Screwdriver, and Multiplayer Compression!  (Read 3035 times)

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
Today's Progress!

We were able to successfully compress a test ship to only 0.005% of its original size!We'd been a bit concerned by the prospect of transferring large uncompressed .BRD's for the initial multiplayer indev, however thanks to some coding magic by Nathan it looks like moderate internet connections will fair quite a bit better!

The plan for the indev is for the end of the week, but that may end up being Sunday evening (EST) for us, as there's still a few things that aren't quite all the way in (in-game chat, ability to possess other entities, joining/disconnect messages, etc).

German Let's Play by JarroFire!

We had some help in the IRC from DayShine and dracorotor to translate JarroFire's Week 28 Let's Play from German to English!From what we hear (and see), it's pretty good!

VIDEO HERE

Revised Sonic Screwdriver!

We've had some... 'comments' made about the previous Sonic Screwdriver design, and so Micah's decided to design a better one!

Terah will have to adjust the texture a bit, but all-in-all I think it's an improvement!

Screenshots from May 1st playtest!

A few more shots from the May 1st multiplayer playtest!

Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
Such a tease
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

Vininator

• Founder
  • Owner of Galactic Munitions Inc... and a cool guy.
I like the new sonic screwdriver :) and i cant wait for mp

mamastoast

• Founder
Think I liked the older model better for the screwdriver, looked less fragile, but don't really mind the new one either

blackether

• Founder
Less lightsaber and more sonic screwdriver. I'll take it.

ChunkofWhat

• Founder
  • rawr
I certainly hope no one gets mixed up about this model.
Painful implications...

kaptnkrunch

• Founder
  • Full Violocity ahead. With all violence and speed.
lol, isengard.

Spoiler

Imaus

• Founder
  • Let the Hammerfall
new mutiplayer is just over the hill now.
Family Balenchist

Qhesz

• Founder
I'm super impressed how quickly things are coming along.

Painful implications...
Haha, can't stop thinking about those implications can you? :P

Bladecatcher

• Founder
So is the upcoming update just indev MP, or will it contain other stuff to? I ask because I think it's high time we got some glass, especially now that we're actually going to be flying our ships again. We need to be able to see outside so that we can shoot our friends in their faces!

I like the new design for the Spoon, too. I didn't really see much wrong with the first one, but whatever. I like it.

P.S. I'm calling the sonic screwdriver the Spoon no matter what. NO MATTER WHAT!

Neonivek

• Founder
We will probably have glass and gravity plating probably close to the time we have in character models.

Elvengod

• Founder
I know y'all said that our characters would not be little green blobs ( though that would be an epic character option...) but in the multiplayer coming in the next release, will we have actual characters, or will be be able to enjoy being blobs for a bit?  ;D
Life begins in the shadows and thus life ends in the shadows
- first Virak king, Zimfira

Neonivek

• Founder
I know y'all said that our characters would not be little green blobs ( though that would be an epic character option...) but in the multiplayer coming in the next release, will we have actual characters, or will be be able to enjoy being blobs for a bit?  ;D

If I remember the answer... Green Blobs for a bit.