Author Topic: Today's Progress! Multiplayer Destruction!  (Read 11001 times)

Aaron

• BR Developer
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
  • Available on the IRC from 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST)
    • http://www.zanmgt.com
Today's Progress! Multiplayer Destruction!
« on: May 02, 2012, 12:47:18 am »
TODAY'S PROGRESS REPORT!

Gabe Nathan and Aaron were wrapped up today in testing Nathan's new damage system in the multiplayer!We're looking to get a release out with the multiplayer by the end of the week, and today was a big step towards it!

Screenshots from Today's Multiplayer Test!

Interface Concept

Blockade Runner's first person interface will evolve with the game, however we've got to have an idea on where interface elements will be beforehand.To that end, take a peek at our Photoshop mockup overlayed in the game!

The minimap resides in the top-left, connected players (and their status) on top, health and experience points in the top right, current objectives on the right, inventory on the bottom, player chat (/ game events) in the bottom-left, available actions in the center-bottom, and immediate directions in the center-top.

Tomorrow

Micah's video animation of a "Rock Monster" character, and possibly an explanation of Solenium2 (So2), the marvelous substance that makes space travel possible in Blockade Runner!
Stop by the IRC and say Hi! -- Online Dev Chat

ChunkofWhat

• Founder
  • rawr
Re: Today's Progress! Multiplayer Destruction!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 01:01:52 am »
No no no no no no!!
I have so much work to do this and next week.  This release is going to RUIN ME.

so so so so so fucking excited

Edit:
Also, super impressed at how fast you guys got multiplayer up.  You must have built a really good foundation!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:19:33 am by ChunkofWhat »

Rocket Fiend

• Founder
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 01:22:15 am »
This looks incredibly promising. I shall eagerly await more word.

Also, couldn't help noticing the fighter in the Third pic. Love to get a better look at her. I got a Starfox vibe from what I saw, and that's not a bad thing at all.
So long, chumps!

Yolan

• Founder
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 01:46:36 am »
Video please!!!
That's no moon!

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 03:32:08 am »
well that was quick...allthough, the UI... way... waaaaaaaay too big, it's taking almost the entire screen, you can easily reduce those "other players" statuses to half their current size and throw them to the side. Also, the quickmenu/toolbar should only be visible when selecting something new I think, or scrolling. If not it also needs to be a whole lot smaller. Minimap and text windows are fine, though I'm not a fan of having player statis in top right corner

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 03:38:22 am »
Respawed on the star breaker yet your on the F1????
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

Darkstrike

• Founder
  • Captain of the H.M.S.V. Saviour-A
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 09:18:47 am »
well that was quick...allthough, the UI... way... waaaaaaaay too big, it's taking almost the entire screen, you can easily reduce those "other players" statuses to half their current size and throw them to the side. Also, the quickmenu/toolbar should only be visible when selecting something new I think, or scrolling. If not it also needs to be a whole lot smaller. Minimap and text windows are fine, though I'm not a fan of having player statis in top right corner

I'm with Mamatost - love what I am seeing, but the player statuses don't seem right for me. The way they are set up in that screenshot, if there are a larger number of players, say 10+ - where are the stats for them going to go without taking up so much of the screen? (Unless the player list on that screenshot is just maybe the players within your current entity...i.e. ship, shuttle, station, planet, etc? And a separate button opens a player list on the server?

I'm more for a Tab style player list like in Minecraft, or many FPS. You could hit Tab to toggle it open it in BR...i.e. a status window that is hidden, not always on the main UI.

As for the radar - if the game will contain large expanses of 360 degree Space rather than limiting everything on one plane of motion like Freelancer or Star Trek Online, that radar model would not work very well...how would it show direction up and down? I've always thought the radar model in the old X-Wing, Tie Fighter, X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighter, and X-Wing Alliance games worked the best for true space games - two radar scopes on either side of the screen, the top-left being things in front of you and the top-right scope being behind you, with both scopes showing things direction wise in terms of in front of you, behind you, above you or behind you...the closer to the bottom of one of the scopes, the further below you the item is in terms of the direction from your ship's current heading/plane of movement; the closer to the top of the scope, the the further above you the item is in terms of the direction from your ship's current heading/plane of movement; the nearer to the middle of the scope it is, the closer the item is directly in front or behind you on your ship's current plane of movement/heading.

I never felt in any way confined in X-Wing because there was NO bounding box in any direction :) I hope BR follows a similar system!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:23:18 am by Darkstrike »

Vininator

• Founder
  • Owner of Galactic Munitions Inc... and a cool guy.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 09:23:29 am »

Screenshots from Today's Multiplayer Test!

Stupid picture made me think that we were getting real physics where loose blocks would float away...  :'( So disappointed now...

... Not really  ;D

elijahpederson

• Founder
  • Matter matters
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 10:33:55 am »
whoohoo.
Long time between releases (what you are doing)=awesome releases that have less bugs and more awesome stuff.
Short time between releases=boring amounts of new stuff and very VERY buggy

looking good. VERRY much so.
Good testing to you!

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 11:29:13 am »
Wait wait, Experience points? What are those for?
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.

ChunkofWhat

• Founder
  • rawr
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 11:36:51 am »

:-\

kaptnkrunch

• Founder
  • Full Violocity ahead. With all violence and speed.
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 12:07:45 pm »

Hmmm, I'm not a fan of experience points personally.

In a game like this you don't really need a contrived XP system, the experience is real, as you build more ships you get better at building them.

theallmightybob

• Founder
  • Sleep is for the weak.
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 01:46:58 pm »

Hmmm, I'm not a fan of experience points personally.

In a game like this you don't really need a contrived XP system, the experience is real, as you build more ships you get better at building them.

you know, unless there is more to the game then just building ships. XP systems are only bad when they provide some players with a distinct advantage. as long as skill still prevails then who cares?
would you buy a toaster shaped like an f22 with an eject button on it? cause thats what i'm going for.

blackether

• Founder
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 02:21:06 pm »
We should probably remember a few things when looking at this.

1. It is a mockup. This means that nothing on it has to stay, and nothing on it is concrete. They are just putting ideas out there and attempting to get us excited for things to come.

2. Initial Multiplayer will be very arcade-like and not terribly sophisticated in terms of gameplay. Meaning there won't be too much beyond being able to move around, kill other players, and drive ships.

3. A decent way of attributing points in Free-For-All multiplayer is through 'experience.' It is most likely simply a placeholder for kills or flag captures or enemy ships destroyed. Same goes with the map and its 'not doing all the functions I want it to.' It is simply there as an idea and not as a final product.

Me2005

• Founder
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 02:45:22 pm »
...3. A decent way of attributing points in Free-For-All multiplayer is through 'experience.' It is most likely simply a placeholder for kills or flag captures or enemy ships destroyed. Same goes with the map and its 'not doing all the functions I want it to.' It is simply there as an idea and not as a final product.

Why not just go straight-up arcade and keep track of kills?

Experience points are usually used on something to improve something about your character. I'm not sure what could be improved in a game about building ships; but personally, I'd prefer that your equipment and ship is the "experience points," and your character is always the same. Minecraft, for example, uses experience points to upgrade your stuff; but a character with more experience points is not better than one with less. That system is fine, but I'd like to know what kind of system the devs have in mind that they're using it at all. Better/larger equipment is the same effect as a higher-level character, you've amassed more in the game by spending more time on it. You don't need to limit the character as well.
But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to create and rebuild.

I know who you are.

You are destiny.