Author Topic: On the topic of Wings for Smaller ships  (Read 10309 times)

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
Re: On the topic of Wings for Smaller ships
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 03:48:42 pm »
...as having a massive 'I'm a noob, take pot shots at me' neon sign attached to your ship.

Someone will be in for a nasty surprise...
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
<Strait_Raider>That's like... my two favorite things.
     Put together.
     That's like... Kate Upton in a Tiger

kaptnkrunch

• Founder
  • Full Violocity ahead. With all violence and speed.
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 04:48:14 pm »
Well then, that will make it:

-Noobs have wings
-Oldfags have wings to looks like noobs and surprise them, but after the element of surprise are still carrying around wings with no particularly purpose.

Gingo

• Founder
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 04:55:24 pm »
Actually, wings could very well have a purpose once planets are in.

They are pretty much a requirement for atmospheric flight, therefore wingless ships would crash in atmosphere, while winged ships could be multi-purpose.

Niwantaw

• Founder
  • Eternal Skipper O.Q
  • Grille'd
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 05:43:58 pm »
Well then, that will make it:

-Noobs have wings
-Oldfags who care more about actual looks than having "perfect" ships will have wings

Fixed.
"God damnit why does everything have to be in sweedish? I don't understand shit"-Davee

<Strait_Raider> "The Big 4 could be equipped with a Bren gun or a 3 inch mortar..."
<Strait_Raider>That's like... my two favorite things.
     Put together.
     That's like... Kate Upton in a Tiger

Strait Raider

• It's "Strait", as in the body of water.
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 05:52:13 pm »
Variable-Geometry wings; pull them in during space combat to reduce your target profile and rotational inertia, pop them out in atmosphere to increase maneuverability and glide slope.

If thin wings could act as a type of radiator with weapon mounts alongside their primary use for control in atmosphere, they would be a lot more appealing. Maybe it is a bit silly, but wings can make a spacecraft look badass if you do it right. I'm thinking X-Wings and the Vipers from BSG.

I'm not saying you would NEED wings to work in atmosphere, it would be entirely possible to operate in atmosphere with only thrusters, but wings would make you a lot more efficient and maneuverable.

Vininator

• Founder
  • Owner of Galactic Munitions Inc... and a cool guy.
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 06:05:55 pm »
The wings on an Xwing are actually mounts for the lasers. Wider field of fire and all that. Also for atmospheric flight.

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 06:40:00 pm »
Wings aren't all that silly really... At the end of a wing you could mount a 360 degree turret with a machine gun, and all of a sudden you've pretty much doubled your fighter's effectiveness. And they're not really a big extra target if all that wing is is a control cable and an ammo feed. Allows you to spread your criticals out a bit more. So instead of a craft with no wings and all the fuel next to the ammo exploding impressively when struck, a craft with fuel in the wings can just jettison a wing with a burning fuel tank in it and keep on flying. Wings, as mentioned, would also allow less thrusters to do more for rolling and steering as they are further from CG.

Zero_X4

• Founder
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 06:53:18 pm »
While you fools place no wings on your craft, My fighters will frolic gracefully in the thermals of an alien planet.
Come down and catch me on near empty fuel tanks....I dare you.
I was running towards Engineering when suddenly a massive shudder went through the ship, and the Grav plating went offline as the lights shut down. The ship suddenly ripped in half, sucking me into the vacuum of space.

ChunkofWhat

• Founder
  • rawr
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 07:10:47 pm »
Recall that the only two announced modes of multiplayer are campaign co-op and battle scenario.

When/if planets are added to BR, I imagine they'll probably be absent from the battle-mode multiplayer.  The devs have mentioned some pretty ambitious plans for planets in the game - probably not feasible for large multiplayer battles.

So even if wings do become necessary to atmospheric flight (probably a very difficult parameter to include, so don't bet on it), it seems likely that your only opportunity to use a ship which would have wings under such a justification in a pvp setting would be to team-kill during co-op mode.

This brings up another issue actually: in battle instance mode, ships will be stripped of most of the planned life support features (hydroponics etc). 

SnowDragon

• First to use a Sigpic!
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 07:20:00 pm »
I imagine that in order for a vessel to be 'space worthy' (IE, allowed in a fight) it would have to have bedding for each crewman (Even if it's only half beds and they work in shifts), life support and pressure retaining ability and food enough to last a single day. So while a battleship that's built for combat might win in battle mode, they're going to suck HARD in normal play.

Zero_X4

• Founder
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 07:23:38 pm »
Recall that the only two announced modes of multiplayer are campaign co-op and battle scenario.

When/if planets are added to BR, I imagine they'll probably be absent from the battle-mode multiplayer.  The devs have mentioned some pretty ambitious plans for planets in the game - probably not feasible for large multiplayer battles.

So even if wings do become necessary to atmospheric flight (probably a very difficult parameter to include, so don't bet on it), it seems likely that your only opportunity to use a ship which would have wings under such a justification in a pvp setting would be to team-kill during co-op mode.

This brings up another issue actually: in battle instance mode, ships will be stripped of most of the planned life support features (hydroponics etc).

Orly?
If that be so, then 60% of us won't be happy.

Also, why won't there be an equal amount of combat as there is exploring in adventure mode?
I was running towards Engineering when suddenly a massive shudder went through the ship, and the Grav plating went offline as the lights shut down. The ship suddenly ripped in half, sucking me into the vacuum of space.

kaptnkrunch

• Founder
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 04:13:53 am »
All this crew support stuff is impossible to measure.

Personally I don't want to build a pre-school in space for dubious AI to bumble about in.

It's all very well saying you'll need hydroponics and stuff, but actually measuring how much is enough/ making the AI complex enough to make it relevant is going to be very tough.

I think if crewing/hydroponics/beds every get relevant it'll be at a much later stage of development.

Imagine if in minecraft you had to feed and care for the cows and sheep like a real farmer, it'd be frikkin impossible to play and people would just not have them.

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 04:54:11 am »
Barn Farmers have to take care and feed their animals, real farmers just let their cattle frolic in a lot of land the size of small countrys.
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

Neonivek

• Founder
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 11:18:30 am »
Don't some spaceships currently in real life have wings?

I realise it is mostly because they need to get to space... but still.

kaptnkrunch

• Founder
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 11:52:53 am »
Nope. Wings do nothing in space.

Some capsules have solar panels which look like wings.

Space shuttles had wings for re-entry (whole different kettle of fish).