Author Topic: clumsy Prefab placement  (Read 5394 times)

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
Re: clumsy Prefab placement
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 07:49:41 pm »
there ain't logic to prefabs placement its how the devs place there models in the 3d program.
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

catmorbid

• Founder
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 10:02:29 am »
It would help if the prefabs were made with several points of placement in mind and you could then cycle these points with a single keypress and then rotate the prefab with another, maybe like shift+mscroll or something. With points of placement I mean something like the side or face of the object which is pressed against the block, so e.g. you have a cannon do you want it to lie horizontally or vertically from a block, just press a key and change that i.e. no need to move around trying to find the correct angle.

Vininator

• Founder
  • Owner of Galactic Munitions Inc... and a cool guy.
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 11:48:34 am »
Personally I would prefer that ALL blocks, instead of being dependent on your direction (which is annoying at best), could be rotated by holding CTRL or ALT and using WASD. just like how you rotate the whole ship in the editor now.

[ZanMgt]Gabriel

• BR Developer
  • Lord Ruler, Gamer, Programmer, Spy
    • www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 11:06:22 am »
Yeah, we plan on fixing the the placement of prefabs soon. Most important thing right now though is Humanoid Movement and the Physics Engine. So this won't happen for a while.
"a programmer is an intermediary that converts sugar and caffeine into code"

Commander

• Skipper
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 04:36:44 am »
Its clumsy, but doable. Q+E helps a lot.

The most annoying thing I can think of are the overlapping textures. If you built one block its texture "spreads" on the surrounding blocks as well and so on.

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 02:05:41 pm »

The most annoying thing I can think of are the overlapping textures. If you built one block its texture "spreads" on the surrounding blocks as well and so on.

Textures and plates applying like an inside out block is annoying, it would be nice to see "facet" painting when the devs have the time for it.
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

Voltaire

• Founder
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 05:27:43 pm »

Textures and plates applying like an inside out block is annoying, it would be nice to see "facet" painting when the devs have the time for it.

"Facet" painting gets my vote.  Plus a fill tool that replaces all connected "facets" with the same texture as that selected with your desired plate texture.

Cy83r

• Founder
  • It's Shooowtime!
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 06:11:31 am »
So what do we call the painting method right now? bubble painting?
Jibreel: Yeah but [Hufer] that's like [Axis] complaining that his Toyota Camry is stuck in the mud and you responding "Well my M1 Abrams doesn't seem to be having much trouble."

[ZanMgt]Gabriel

• BR Developer
    • www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 08:39:33 am »
Plating will always be like an "inside-out block". This isn't because we are lazy, or don't know how to do it. By keeping it as it is allows us to free up room elsewhere so that we may add in other features down the road that otherwise would be too memory intensive.

mamastoast

• Founder
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 05:37:22 am »
:/ a real shame, really does limit what you can do with plating

catmorbid

• Founder
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 08:09:10 am »
My latest annoyance with prefabs is not knowing the size of the prefab before placing it. It would help if the prefab selection would have some sort of preview of the prefab with measures for reference.

[ZanMgt]Gabriel

• BR Developer
    • www.zanmgt.com
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 10:01:06 am »
Thats a good idea. I will see about adding this before next release.