Author Topic: clumsy Prefab placement  (Read 5168 times)

catmorbid

• Founder
clumsy Prefab placement
« on: April 25, 2012, 07:23:38 am »
Is it just me, or is placing prefabs just plain awkward and void of logic? Most of the time it's too much bother trying to get them right to use them at all. I've tried a few, but always got frustrated in not being able to place them the way I wanted to.

kaptnkrunch

• Founder
  • Full Violocity ahead. With all violence and speed.
Re: clumsy Prefab placement
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 08:33:25 am »
Totally agree with this. Prefab placement is black-magic so far as I can tell  ::)

What would be great is to be able to place prefabs with collision detection off, then rotate/translate them into position before so you can see what they're doing, and then fix them where you want them.

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 08:49:58 am »
Go to an area with plenty of room and orbit a central point and keep placing/removing till you have the right angle to get them working, then set the lock build direction
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

Vininator

• Founder
  • Owner of Galactic Munitions Inc... and a cool guy.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 09:07:22 am »
Go to an area with plenty of room and orbit a central point and keep placing/removing till you have the right angle to get them working, then set the lock build direction

or you could just hold RMB  ::)

blackether

• Founder
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 10:16:03 am »
Some placement is acceptable, and others are terribly difficult to manage.

Placement should be intuitive for each prefab, and not necessarily the same for every prefab. If I am placing a door, I don't want to be 5 blocks above the door (on the next deck or too high to be able to see where the bottom of the door actually is) in order to place it. I want to be in front of the door, with it facing me as I pace it at the center of the floor it will be sitting on. If I am placing an engine/thruster/weapon, I want the prefab to be placed facing me when I am attaching it to a 'wall' piece, another engine piece, or another weapon.

Being able to adjust the prefab after placement will help greatly as well. I would think an 'unlocked' prefab would move freely without having to hold a mouse button, and maintain its original orientation to the entity when it started (but could be adjusted by hitting a rotate button).

catmorbid

• Founder
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 03:36:38 pm »
or... maybe if you held the lmb (or lmb+rmb or something else) and used WASD to select correct rotation for the prefab.

Though their initial facing should still be logical.

Neonivek

• Founder
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 12:00:48 am »
The worst for me was trying to place flowers

In order to place them correctly I had to go above the object I wanted to place them on... Look straight down... then reverse their dirrection.

MrVorgra

• Founder
  • RAWR!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 10:18:54 am »
the way BR does block placement is via the build plane, so for example in 3dsmax if you would have the base of the chair on the build plane but for ideal placement of a wall item, the item that is on the wall should be facing down on the 3d build plane, I could go through all the models and re-align them, however i don't know what would happen if I opened a obj file and exported it again....
Real Men drive vehicles without knowing how fast they are moving or how much fuel remains in the tank.

Gudis

• Founder
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 10:16:46 am »
It would be nice to be able to just use the numpad to rotate objects before they're placed. A Ctrl-Z undo would be cool too.

Vininator

• Founder
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 10:22:33 am »
It would be nice to be able to just use the numpad to rotate objects before they're placed. A Ctrl-Z undo would be cool too.

Ctrl+Z is undo.

Czorio

• Founder
  • Residential nutbag
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 06:23:51 pm »

Ctrl+Z is undo.

Couldn't help myself, but I lolled.
"If you're in an equal fight, your tactics suck."

http://www.youtube.com/user/czorio4

Cnaff

• Founder
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 06:36:31 pm »

Ctrl+Z is undo.

Couldn't help myself, but I lolled.

Same here hehe   ;D.

Gudis

• Founder
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 10:21:46 am »
Hmm, for some reason I wasn't getting it to work before. Once placement is fixed and some sort of copy-paste tool is implemented I'll be really happy.

Neonivek

• Founder
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 04:40:22 pm »
Prefab actually follows logic very well it is according to where you are facing.

The problem is that in order to place things in logical locations you have to know exactly what you are doing.

To place a flower I have to go dirrectly above where I want to place it. Move it in place with my mouse wheel... then reverse the dirrection.

Vininator

• Founder
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 04:43:09 pm »
I keep forgetting that Alt does that